Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Nm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Remember kiddies- parking requirements are set by the, you guessed it, public municipality. Developers would happily scale back parking requirements.
True dat. And the public municipality is influenced by its residents, who complain when people park on the streets -- yes, even in dense city neighborhoods and small-town business districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Oh, I agree, but who cares about Tulsa? It's not even mediocre by Midwestern standards. It's a crappy city in flyover America no one cares about.
How provincial of you. I'm sure the people who live there care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Nm
Well said.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree, but who cares about Tulsa? It's not even mediocre by Midwestern standards. It's a crappy city in flyover America no one cares about.
Tulsa was the winner of the Streetsblog Parking Madness ( the name a parody of basketball March Madness) which was a contest about which city had the worst parking craters in America, not about which city is more important. The other finalists were Houston, Dallas and Milwaukee. I voted for Houston. Tulsa looks pretty bad but I don't think its the worst.

Quote:
For all nonsense about how surface parking lots destroy urban fabric and what not, it does seem like a rather sudden 180, however. Dresden is full of surface lots.
They do destroy the urban fabric. But obviously to fans of parking lot such as yourself they do not destroy it. Dresden isn't comparable in physical appearance to cities like Houston, Dallas and Tulsa in any way shape or form, unless you're talking about WW2-era Dresden after it was bombed flat. Then yeah, that's what those cities look like now.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
A Tulsa resident [from another internet forum]:

We tore down half of our Art Deco buildings, HALF of them. We had the Art Deco Congress in Tulsa a few years ago and its said that one of the people from Europe said that our downtown looked like Potsdam after the war... except that we did it to ourselves.

Garrison Keillor was in town doing a show a couple years ago and said something to the effect... "You all have some beautiful buildings in your downtown. Its interesting how you have it set up now so that you can enjoy looking at each one individually."

some maps of amount surface parking in downtowns:

Downtown Parking Lot Maps - SkyscraperPage Forum

of newer, less dense cities, Portland does well in having less surface parking.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
This light rail station has parking on all 4 sides(!)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Houst...,,0,-3.26&z=18

Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM

229 posts, read 293,724 times
Quote:
Because the other 99% never lived like that.

They lived more like this:

I'll take a 2,500 square foot ticky tacky with a three-car garage, electricity, central heating and air, please. You can have the 600 square foot 2bd tenement with one tiny window with two toilets (a luxury!) per floor with 6-10 people in each unit. Fortunately, the reality where I live, those aren't the only two choices!
because of failed government policies. Concrete and imagination aren't scarce resources. Everyone should have access to affordable housing that doesn't require a lifetime of debt and if not for other peoples' greed and the fact that suburbia creates a very isolated and profitable culture for the top elite but we could have it all...

Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Downtown Parking Lot Maps - SkyscraperPage Forum

of newer, less dense cities, Portland does well in having less surface parking.
For a newer city, Portland is rather dense, and has a policy of smart growth for a while, unlike let's say Phoenix. Also, Portland has a rather large historic downtown.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Well maybe someday I can make it out to the culture center of the Universe, Sacramento... Oh wait, I think I flew over that armpit on my last trip to LA.

Last edited by okie1962; 06-08-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
because of failed government policies. Concrete and imagination aren't scarce resources. Everyone should have access to affordable housing that doesn't require a lifetime of debt and if not for other peoples' greed and the fact that suburbia creates a very isolated and profitable culture for the top elite but we could have it all...
Never gonna happen. We should also solve world hunger and have world peace too. That won't happen either. Doesn't mean it's not an admirable goal to work towards, however.

Here in my little suburb, there's a fair number of choices. You can buy a small ~1000-1200 square foot house with no or one-car garage for $100-150k if that's what you want. If you don't want a house, there's a variety of apartment options with 1bd rooms going for about $600 for a decent one, 2bd maybe $750-800. There's a few neighborhoods that are walkable, but that's an area that could use some improvement. Again, I talked about the transit corridors that are now operating here. There's rezoning that goes along with that to allow for much greater density that opens up the doors to 3-5 story mixed-use buildings. That's just going to take some time, especially given that our real estate market is weak. No one is building any of those yet, but they could if anyone wanted that type of development. No one really wants any development of any kind right now, we're still overbuilt from the boom period.

Not sure about this top elite stuff. That's definitely not here... we're one of the poorer communities in California with a very high unemployment rate. That's pretty common for valley cities. Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, Merced... they're the farthest thing from meccas of the elite. Sacramento and its suburbs are a little more middle-class. You have EDH/Granite Bay which are one of the largest wealthy enclaves in the country outside of Sacramento, but you also have Citrus Heights, Folsom, parts of Granite Bay/EDH, Lincoln, Roseville, etc, etc that certainly are not where the wealthy elite live. Unless by the wealthy elite you mean the top 80%.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:35 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Well maybe someday I can make it out to the culture center of the Universe, Sacramento... Oh wait, I think I flew over that armpit on my last trip to LA.
Doubtful. We're pretty out of the way to flyover from anywhere. We're more drivethrough California. You drive through on your way from San Francisco to Tahoe. And I'm actually south of Sacramento, even less of the cultural center of the universe than Sacramento is

There's some people I know that get defensive about it, but most for most people here the less outside attention the better. We're growing more than fast enough as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning