Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,145 times

Advertisements

You wouldn't happen to be a Bed-Stuy refugee now, would you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,926 times
Milky, this is an interesting topic for discussion. Please don't spoil the "movie" by adding your own soundtrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I may have some news for you and your 'model'. Regional primacies aside, San Francisco doesn't affect the 'primacy' of Los Angeles nearly as much as Boston affects New York. And waxing nostalgic on NY's 'hometown feeling' being the result of your implied 'high primacy' just has you sounding like FutureCop. Now isn't that ironic, don't you think?

Quote:

Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Oh, it's a movie alright. I'm just wondering if it will go straight to video.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 AM

646 posts, read 813,497 times
Quote:
I may have some news for you and your 'model'. Regional primacies aside, San Francisco doesn't affect the 'primacy' of Los Angeles nearly as much as Boston affects New York. And waxing nostalgic on NY's 'hometown feeling' being the result of your implied 'high primacy' just has you sounding like FutureCop. Now isn't that ironic, don't you think?
Troll Toast,

I"ve got news for you, Prove it!

No I think you have miscontrued and misinterpreted everything including not getting the concept of primacy straight right-off-the-bat.

So back up what you said that is if you can put the alcohol and cards down or have yourself a "Troll Toast".

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-12-2007 at 01:58 AM..

Old 11-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Okay you have no use for the discussion. But think Peter Stuyvesant, his name is all over NYC in many places in many things. He's a local historic figure, first governor of Dutch New Amsterdam in New Netherlands. You're talking about Bed-Stuy a whole different thing than 'Stuy' alone. Sounds as if YOU might be a former Bed-Stuy person however.

Stuy Town could be used to reference all of NY from colonial times.

Think, Think!! Get your mind off all you do is gamble!

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-12-2007 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
No one is interested in Peter or colonial NY anything..please. I've stated all along,- matter of fact one of the first posts I've made here noted that The United States was a country like no other; that it had a rather unusual amount of great cities for just one country. All of them seeming to carry their own unique culture. I get the concept, trust me. This 'primate' classification is a moot point in a country such as this one, but if you want to discuss the supremacy of certain cities within a region of the nation, be my guest. Just don't feed with the 'hometown' feeling and the 'tight knit' comradry crap of New York. God, that gets old- and isn't supported by any studies within the topic. I'm correct, aren't I? Too subjective, not scientific. Do I sound like someone who drinks..........................all that much? I don't play cards or gamble either, Mr. Cliche'.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 AM

Just re-read your title post and, yeah. You back me up!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Okay you have no use for the discussion. But think Peter Stuyvesant, his name is all over NYC in many places in many things. He's a local historic figure, first governor of Dutch New Amsterdam in New Netherlands. You're talking about Bed-Stuy a whole different thing than 'Stuy' alone. Sounds as if YOU might be a former Bed-Stuy person however.

He's never even been to NY, how could he be a former Bed-Stuy resident? Besides, with a mouth his size I don't think he could last 10 minutes in Bed-Stuy.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Quote:
No one is interested in Peter or colonial NY anything..please. I've stated all along,- matter of fact one of the first posts I've made here noted that The United States was a country like no other; that it had a rather unusual amount of great cities for just one country. All of them seeming to carry their own unique culture. I get the concept, trust me. This 'primate' classification is a moot point in a country such as this one, but if you want to discuss the supremacy of certain cities within a region of the nation, be my guest. Just don't feed with the 'hometown' feeling and the 'tight knit' comradry crap of New York. God, that gets old- and isn't supported by any studies within the topic. I'm correct, aren't I? Too subjective, not scientific. Do I sound like someone who drinks..........................all that much? I don't play cards or gamble either, Mr. Cliche'.
Nobody is saying anything about hometown feeling, and we don't need to in order to prove that NYC is great. LA is nice for a relaxing vacation, New York just gets down to business and people are rushing all over 24/7. New York is a Mega-City, LA is not. New York leads the world in nearly every economic category, with London holding us in finance because we lost a huge part of it on 9/11. The World Trade Centers weren't the only things that got screwed up, either. What happpens to the surroundings when a total of 220 stories comes plummeting towards Earth? Uh, you tell me... So, dude, if you want to dog a city, New York is not one you should be dogging, expecially when you're from that sprawling, smoggy mess that is Los Angeles.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Arrow Geesh!

Quote:

You got your point across about San Fran somehow in the 'moot point' jibe. It must have struck a note. So prove SF is what you claim it is.

Use info and tools whatever way you want but make some sense sometimes regarding urban assessment as this site is called "City-Data" rather than simply making claims like some wanton travel agent.

Oh, yeah, no hometown feeling, Yankees, Mets, etc. No one is trying to insult LA at least from my fingertips. Whatever you had going with someone else along those lines I know nothing about.

I spent 7 years at LAX so don't judge me by someone else , and put the gun DOWN!!

Try to have some fun with tools and methods and contribute something like you did before bc that's the purpose of some of these geography tests, they can attest to each cities slot in the power system of a developed country or not developed.

Somehow you're in a circular argument with someone else and all you have to hear is where someone lives and I will say EXLAXers are very big on gross generalizations outside California even worse than others.

If you don't have anything constructive to contribute move on.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-12-2007 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning