Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

That's the far west side. I think you got tied up in the approaches to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Every once in a while, I'll walk from my apt on the Upper east side, across Central Park, over to Riverside Park, and down the Hudson to Battery Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Can't remember. East side of midtown likely around 41st and 11th.

BYW I walked that day all the way from 125th and Lexington to Soho and it was the only small section I could possibly call unwalkable. What a remarkable city...if I was young and could start over....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
That's the far west side. I think you got tied up in the approaches to the Lincoln Tunnel.

Every once in a while, I'll walk from my apt on the Upper east side, across Central Park, over to Riverside Park, and down the Hudson to Battery Park
Lexington is on the west side? News to me.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
No, but 41st an 11th is. Reread his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Lexington is on the west side? News to me.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The inverse is also true - just about every city of significant size that is pedestrian-hostile on the whole has at least one walkable area.
I'm sure this is true, but one walkable area does not make a walkable city.

Quote:
It's very easy for a pedestrian to stop and then sprint again, and taking a break may even be healthy for the pedestrians. On the other hand, it's much more difficult for a car to stop and start again and every full stop and every second stopped wastes gasoline, and therefore also wastes money. The general rule of cars having the right of way on roads is a sound one and shouldn't be changed. Besides, pedestrians already rule the sidewalks, so why shouldn't drivers also be dominant on the part of the road that's designed to accommodate them? To do otherwise just doesn't seem fair, with obvious exceptions for shared spaces and the like.

This I totally disagree with. Why you ask? Because pedestrians were here first. There are over 300 million pedestrians in the US and only 190 million drivers. Cities are for people, not machines. Cars already have reign about 40% of US urban real estate. Have you ever been outside the US?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I see it has no different as taking the elevator when there are stairs. Its just a choice people make.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I see it has no different as taking the elevator when there are stairs. Its just a choice people make.
But it's not the same thing.

People walk when it's an enjoyable experience. You can't keep them in the car on a truly walkable street - they can't wait to park and get on foot.

The reason people do not opt to walk is that, except for a few places, our built environment is horrible for walking.

The exceptions are NYC, SF, Portland, Chicago, Boston, Philly and Washington. That and a few smaller districts in some places have become walkable. People don't walk in Portland because it's a hassle to drive, they walk because it's a pleasure to do so.

People don't walk in Atlanta or Houston or Phoenix of Dallas or even Austin outside very small segments because those places are built, by and large, to make life easy for cars and hostile for pedestrians.

I'm not talking about recreational walkers - that's not the same thing as people who walk to run errands, or go to work, or catch a movie, or meet a friend at a cafe, etc.

As a matter of fact, the sole goal of any city should be to boost their walk score to 90% - a walkers paradise. If every city in the US sought to do this we could change America in 100 years into a place with worth keeping, a place worth fighting for.

Because the more walkable a city is, the more joyful a city is, the more creative a city is, the more graceful a city is, the healthier the people are and the more economically productive a city is. All city efforts should keep this in mind as the number 1 goal. Because, more than anything else a city can do, it will be dividends. Huge returns.

Walkability is the key - walkability is everything.

Last edited by Komeht; 08-13-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
[quote=Eddyline;30952676]
Quote:

This I totally disagree with. Why you ask? Because pedestrians were here first. There are over 300 million pedestrians in the US and only 190 million drivers. Cities are for people, not machines. Cars already have reign about 40% of US urban real estate. Have you ever been outside the US?
Pedestrians were here first and why did we ever let it happen that car drivers have more power than pedestrians!!! Pedestrians, attempting to cross a busy street, bow to them like they're king and queens and why!!!

Back in the days, before paved roads, it wasn't as dangerous to try and cross a busy street, as the motorists were trying to maneuver around deep potholes, washboarded roads, navigating muddy streets and that slowed them down! Today, there's nothing to slow them down! Except a tope now and then!

Just for fun, sometimes, I'll be standing in a boulevard and make it appear, when a car is heading in my direction, that I'm going to cross the street (no, I'm not playing Russian Roulette either) not seeing the car and OMG the reactions you get from the drivers!!! Momentarily, you scared them and oh the outrage!!!

There's a psychology to it all. We live in a world where we have little or no power over our lives anymore, but the one opportunity we have to delude ourselves into thinking we have some power is behind the wheel of a car. Yup! Even the power to murder someone, a pedestrian, and be exonerated for it!

It appalls me how many pedestrian deaths there are in this city every year, and how quickly the paper will exonerate the driver who killed a pedestrian by stating: he wasn't in a crosswalk! Driver absolved of his sins, and his guilt!

I'll betcha, in bankrupt Detroit today, no money to repair the roads, the drivers are driving slower than ever and the pedestrians are cheering and laughing!

Yes, pedestrians are looked own upon and scorned!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
It depends on the area. I walk miles around my home. At work I would drive to the store or bank across the street. Very dangerous area and we have the pedestrian fatalities to prove it.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Because the more walkable a city is, the more joyful a city is
*snort* There are plenty of neighborhoods in Philadelphia that are walkable but that are anything but a joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Pedestrians were here first and why did we ever let it happen that car drivers have more power than pedestrians!!!
Cars are bigger?

Quote:
Back in the days, before paved roads, it wasn't as dangerous to try and cross a busy street
You had to walk through dust or mud, on precarious stepping stones, and dodge horse droppings, though. Yahoo.

Quote:
Momentarily, you scared them and oh the outrage!!!
I suppose it's better than them hitting you?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Thought this thread on the NYC forum on what the locals consider "walking distance" was interesting and relevant to this thread:

What do you consider walking distance?

Seems like it's unclear if the posters thought it was for walking for practicality or enjoyment. And then this city vs Long Island comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
For me walking distance is anywhere from DUMBO To below 14th street [about 2 miles]. If its a nice day, I may even walk all the way to 34st.

I have family/friends in the suburbs of LI. Walking distance is the closet parking spot to the front entrance of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning