Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM

406 posts, read 500,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
...so I'll just stop now.
Please do, the rest of the forum will thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
The obesity pattern in Canada seems to be a bit different with no sign of inner city obesity. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/92f0138...gure3.3-en.jpg

The data is unfortunately not very precise, but the most likely pattern seems to be big cities-->suburbs-->small cities, towns and rural areas.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
The obesity pattern in Canada seems to be a bit different with no sign of inner city obesity. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/92f0138...gure3.3-en.jpg

The data is unfortunately not very precise, but the most likely pattern seems to be big cities-->suburbs-->small cities, towns and rural areas.
Looks like a map of poor rural areas of Canada. Canada lack inner city obesity issues for the same reason its inner city areas have school issues. Other countries may have sprawl, but the US has some rather unique urban patterns, which is sometimes taken on this forum as "normal".

Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Probably the HFCS. Soda used to be a treat someone has every once in awhile. Now people are gulping down sugary drinks by the gallon. Long commutes out of the suburbs don't help either.
If you drink too much soda sweetened with cane sugar it will have the same effect.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
New York State follows Canadian patterns somewhat:

New York's fattest counties | All Over Albany

Brooklyn and Queens are somewhat below average. A few NYC suburban counties are near the bottom and the most "inner city county" [New York County] is an outlier well below the state average. Only Bronx is above average, but it's the poorest county in the state. Immigration likely makes NYC a bit more like Canadian cities rather than the usual American patterns.

Though, the statistics combine overweight with obesity. Overweight isn't necessarily unhealthy; obesity almost always is.

KeepRightPassLeft: Staten Island is fatter than Long Island, about the same as Brooklyn and Queens even though it has less poverty.

Last edited by nei; 10-09-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times
To the genius who is not aware that he/she was increasing my reputation with their rep point:
Thanks for the rep point anyway.

The answer is NO: I am not absolving "fatties" of their responsibility to eat right. But if you look at demographics by salary, you will see that these "fatties" do NOT belong to the high earning category of 6 figures+. They are usually found in income brackets between $15k and $50k! And while IF on $50k alone without responsibility, you can make good food choices, once you have a family, and more mouths to feed, the affordability of Whole Foods and the likes, is diminished considerably.

IF people are pushed on pastures and are now having longer commutes, that long commute with do two things:
1. Spend a larger amount of money that someone makes on gas
2. Will reduce the time someone has to eat; hence ending up eating bad foods.

Do you think having a siesta is really a frivolity? I don't think so, there is a very good reason for it, but when there's no time for that, and people eat in a hurry, and don't eat good foods, and at restaurants they are served elephant portions, well....the result is overweightness and obesity.

In my opinion city planners come from categories of folks that forgot that their personal needs don't match the masses. That's where the problem arises. There are plenty of areas close to a city that can be beautified again, OR...bring some more stuff for people to do on pastures! More entertainment, more activities for adults etc., but within walking distance to them, and not where someone would have to drive to!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 AM

678 posts, read 697,730 times
planners? what do you mean?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

406 posts, read 500,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
In my opinion city planners come from categories of folks that forgot that their personal needs don't match the masses. That's where the problem arises. There are plenty of areas close to a city that can be beautified again, OR...bring some more stuff for people to do on pastures! More entertainment, more activities for adults etc., but within walking distance to them, and not where someone would have to drive to!
Glad it's just your opinion and it's realistically just as useless as mine or anyone else's opinion. Really, can we just have enough of this arguing this obsession that the "masses" should be within walking distance of "amenities"...I mean really enough is enough.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Glad it's just your opinion and it's realistically just as useless as mine or anyone else's opinion. Really, can we just have enough of this arguing this obsession that the "masses" should be within walking distance of "amenities"...I mean really enough is enough.
Well it is nice to be within walking distance of retail and things like that - and it really isn't that uncommon in suburbs to be close to retail.

For instance, my mom lives in a mid-sized, car-centric city. She definitely drives for most chores, but is also walking distance to her work and two massive shopping centers. So she can walk to the grocery store, post office, bank, restaurants, etc. When I was a kid, we lived a little over a mile from the same shopping centers, and walked to them all the time.

So I guess my point is, you can certainly walk to things while living in the suburbs. It's more about the mindset of Americans than the places they live. Americans are very, very lazy and unless that changes, obesity isn't going anywhere.

RE: Giant Sodas - I agree that it makes no difference if the sodas have cane sugar or HFCS. It kind of blows my mind someone would actually drink a 40oz soda - there has got to be like 1000 calories in that beverage alone.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

And your link goes to a blank page. Nice trolling.

Hmm. Doing a search on obesity gave me links to the following in the top three results. You better inform the CDC that they are wrong. But first learn how to use Google properly. Then they might take you more seriously.

Obesity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A sedentary lifestyle plays a significant role in obesity.[87] Worldwide there has been a large shift towards less physically demanding work,[88][89][90] and currently at least 30% of the world's population gets insufficient exercise.[89] This is primarily due to increasing use of mechanized transportation and a greater prevalence of labor-saving technology in the home.[88][89][90] In children, there appear to be declines in levels of physical activity due to less walking and physical education.[91] World trends in active leisure time physical activity are less clear. The World Health Organization indicates people worldwide are taking up less active recreational pursuits, while a study from Finland[92] found an increase and a study from the United States found leisure-time physical activity has not changed significantly.[93]

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Strategies to Combat Obesity | CDC

Knowing your body mass index (BMI), achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, and getting regular physical activity are all actions you can take for yourself to combat obesity.

Obesity Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - What is the role of physical activity and exercise in obesity? - MedicineNet

The National Health and Examination Survey (NHANES I) showed that people who engage in limited recreational activity were more likely to gain weight than more active people. Other studies have shown that people who engage in regular strenuous activity gain less weight than sedentary people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning