Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I would imagine one cause for inner-city obesity rates to be higher is the lack of quality grocery stores / food options in the area.
See my previous post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31723566-post47.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Quote:
This is a good point - when eating out I don't think people realize how many calories are in these prepared meals. Even walking to the restaurant usually isn't enough to offset these calories.
It's not so much calories but the quality of food consumed. The processed food with its fiber stripped out has high caloric but low nutritional value. Our diets are also pretty protein intensive. No, this is not an urban/suburban issue. Food deserts bereft of grocery options are the issue however, so in that sense this is an urban problem.

To return to urban planning, the shame of our recent history is the closure of the South Central Community Garden in L.A. For over a decade this was probably the largest urban farm in the nation, but developers decided instead of a viable business doing urgent community work that it...should be something else. And they offered an 2 acre soccer field as a token gesture. The farmers did relocate to a smaller plot offered by the city, but talk about shortsightedness. Question: Do we turn farms like this into buildings?

South L.A. residents are forming a food co-op too, though. They have events and, locals, please support them. I hope that endorsement doesn't violate terms of service but it's relevant.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
It's not so much calories but the quality of food consumed. The processed food with its fiber stripped out has high caloric but low nutritional value. Our diets are also pretty protein intensive. No, this is not an urban/suburban issue. Food deserts bereft of grocery options are the issue however, so in that sense this is an urban problem.

To return to urban planning, the shame of our recent history is the closure of the South Central Community Garden in L.A. For over a decade this was probably the largest urban farm in the nation, but developers decided instead of a viable business doing urgent community work that it...should be something else. And they offered an 2 acre soccer field as a token gesture. The farmers did relocate to a smaller plot offered by the city, but talk about shortsightedness. Question: Do we turn farms like this into buildings?

South L.A. residents are forming a food co-op too, though. They have events and, locals, please support them. I hope that endorsement doesn't violate terms of service but it's relevant.
Yes more urban farming in South Central will go a long way to helping alleviate the food-desert issue in South LA. There are quite a few open lots throughout the area that can serve as farms, plus the built-nature of South LA with converted SFHs provides open space that can be used for small gardens at individual addresses. It is a shame to hear about the South Central Community Garden, but it seems like overall the movement is gaining traction.

Local politicians should also put pressure on major retailers like Ralph's to more evenly distribute their higher-quality stores throughout the region. I don't mean that the local government should force them to relocate and open in South LA. Instead what they should do is ensure the quality of produce, meats, dairy is equal whether the location is in Brentwood or Watts. Another way is to incentivize them to change low-quality discount Food 4 Less outlets into the standard Ralph's brand, or at least improve the quality of the Food 4 Less outlets.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Isnt obesity caused by food?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think the rise in 2 income households and single income single parent households probably didn't help since it means families have less time for cooking and grocery shopping. That means they're probably eating cheap processed food and fast food (and most sit down restaurants aren't much better - esp with the huge portions) more often. It also means less time to be active with their kids or watch over them while they play or walk them to school. Video games and computers/internet are a huge temptation (more so than TV imo) that will draw kids and adults away from a healthier lifestyle and their rise corresponds much better to the rise in obesity than the rise of suburbia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except memph wasn't suggesting anything kids in the inner city vs suburbs, just that eating habits and physical activity levels have changed, which part don't you think is true? Nor was he even agreeing that suburbia was a cause for increased obesity.
Where to start? While all of these themes come up in pop culture, e.g. message boards, and in pop literature, most of them do not stand up to scrutiny per the research. The vast majority of the kids in the pediatric practice where I work are involved with sports, often starting in elementary school or even before, as are the kids of my friends and acquaintances. The obestiy "epidemic" and that is in quotes b/c that's what the media calls it, but that's not really what it is, is centered in the inner cities among people of poverty.

As a mom, I get annoyed with people blaming families of 2 working parents, b/c which parent was it that stayed home with the kids when just one parent worked? For the vast, vast, vast, VAST majority, it was the dad. Even today, with all these supposed "stay at home dads", most stay at home parents are female. Also, I have been a public health nurse in inner city areas, and many parents are not working at all.

Here is some articles reporting on actual research:
Childhood Obesity
Obesity's Home: City or Suburbs?

Here is some pop culture, pro-urban article that actually doesn't give any obesity statistics at all, but has a catchy title:
How Sprawl Makes Fighting Childhood Obesity So Much Harder - Kaid Benfield - The Atlantic Cities

Stay at home dads:
The Overhyped Rise of Stay-at-Home Dads - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Quote:
Yes more urban farming in South Central will go a long way to helping alleviate the food-desert issue in South LA. There are quite a few open lots throughout the area that can serve as farms, plus the built-nature of South LA with converted SFHs provides open space that can be used for small gardens at individual addresses. It is a shame to hear about the South Central Community Garden, but it seems like overall the movement is gaining traction.

Local politicians should also put pressure on major retailers like Ralph's to more evenly distribute their higher-quality stores throughout the region. I don't mean that the local government should force them to relocate and open in South LA. Instead what they should do is ensure the quality of produce, meats, dairy is equal whether the location is in Brentwood or Watts. Another way is to incentivize them to change low-quality discount Food 4 Less outlets into the standard Ralph's brand, or at least improve the quality of the Food 4 Less outlets.
I know there's a HEAL Zone Initiative (sponsored by Kaiser) around downtown. They're interested in community partnerships to educate and extend overall health, including exercise and nutrition. Our local program is focused, in terms of food deserts, on getting cornershop merchants to sell fresh produce. Certainly, major grocers would be a kind of Godzilla footprint to solve food access issues, but corner stores emphasizing good diets would go further. And create independent economic vitality.

You should see some of the visual presentations. A typical store sign says: CIGARETTES, LIQUOR, WINE, BEER, LOTTO, LOTTERY, MAGAZINES, food. In that order.

BTW, there are issues of converting empty lots into gardens. Cleanup, if it was an industrial site, and water are the big barriers. City planning needs to create an intentional plan to create, market and support these enterprises. They simply cannot happen spontaneously.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where to start? While all of these themes come up in pop culture, e.g. message boards, and in pop literature, most of them do not stand up to scrutiny per the research. The vast majority of the kids in the pediatric practice where I work are involved with sports, often starting in elementary school or even before, as are the kids of my friends and acquaintances. The obestiy "epidemic" and that is in quotes b/c that's what the media calls it, but that's not really what it is, is centered in the inner cities among people of poverty.
Ok.

Though, as to the bolded is it specifically in inner cities or just wherever there is poverty? For example, are rural poor communities any different? For example, see black obesity rates on this map:

CDC Data & Statistics | Feature: Compared with whites, Blacks had 51% higher and Hispanics had 21% higher obesity rates

If anything southern states where the black population is more rural, have slightly higher obesity rates. Rural southern states have a higher white obesity:

Differences in Prevalence of Obesity Among Black, White, and Hispanic Adults --- United States, 2006--2008

Note DC's very low white obesity rate but average black obsesity rate.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^Good points. However, one place where obesity is not at the highest levels is (drum roll) the suburbs.

http://www.planetizen.com/node/48078

Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Good points. However, one place where obesity is not at the highest levels is (drum roll) the suburbs.
Another: Colorado. Clearly, the rest of the country needs to do whatever Colorado does. Perhaps legalizing weed would help?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
The upscale urban community likely attracts more active yuppie types. Other communities cater to lazier fat people. I doubt it has anything to do with urban planning as opposed to behavior. I live in a suburban community in San Diego and almost all the kids and parents are very fit because fitness and sports and healthy eating are stressed. Not a "walkable" community in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning