Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever run into looking at land and finding out that the town requires minimum s.f. requirements for single family homes? I am not talking about subdivisions or HOA's, this is town requirements embedded into the zoning regs. A friend has recently run into this in NC where they dictate 2,000 s.f. - which is ridiculous IMHO.

It is one thing to restrict use and preserve an area's character by zoning - but the requirement of dwelling size seems like overstepping and snob zoning. Seems more about tax revenue than anything else.

The state has a building code which essentially says a dwelling has to be safe and habitable. Many towns and counties go by that. Only certain towns seem to have this.

Curious there are known (and successful) legal challenges to this sort of practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Of course it's snob zoning, it's meant to keep cheaper housing out, and perhaps lower-income people. I read something about legal challenges to it, can't remember where.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Most places have minimum requirements for new construction but more often than not it's a formula related to the number of bedrooms. It's also common to set a minimum size and ceiling height for bedrooms, minimum window size, number of outlets, etc.

So if you're trying to build a 4 or 5 bedroom house and they're telling you that you need a minimum of 2,000 s/f of heated space that shouldn't be surprising.

If you're trying to build a 2 or 3 bedroom house and they're still telling you 2,000 then that's ridiculous. OTOH, you could always just "heat" the garage then close off the duct work after you move in. Or put in a basement. There's usually a work around like that.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of course it's snob zoning, it's meant to keep cheaper housing out, and perhaps lower-income people. I read something about legal challenges to it, can't remember where.
Not square feet, but single-family only buildings was challenged here in California and the courts said it was fine. Not exaclty SFH only. They do allow churches there, for example. Just no gas stations, apartments, guest cottages.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Some of it isn't the locality but the state which imposes size limits, usually related to an adopted livability code.

Typical numbers are 100 sq. ft. for a bedroom with an additional 50 sq. ft. for each additional occupant. There is also a requirement of a gross 250 sq. ft. per occupant in the house.

These are aimed more at rentals but SFHs usually have to follow them since they can be converted to rentals overnight.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Depending on which Building Code the area is using, there will be minimum requirements in there. I think the minimum in the International Building Code is 320 square feet or some such that is labelled as an "efficiency Dwelling", but I could be getting that confused with my County's requirements, so don't quote me on that.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Many towns have minimum size requirements. It dates back to the days of tenements in cities where the building owner would try and carve out as many aprtments as possible in a building to maximize return. The minimums were set to protect people and provide better quality housing. I will say that 2,000 s.f. sounds very high. I have seen towns here in Connecticut require as low as 1,000 s.f. They do this to prevent shacks from being built. Jay

Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
In areas zoned single family, most common are minimum lot size and minimum square footage. Other restrictions are on the building code side: no plastic pipe, fire sprinklers required, 200-amp minimum electric service, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning