Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 AM

633 posts, read 581,360 times

Advertisements

In Manhattan tons of pet free coops and condo and now the more popular one is no-smoking. Nearly every new development bans smoking. Part of reason to ban dogs and cats is allergies etc so makes sense to ban smoking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 AM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Dog hater here! If dogs served a purpose, security for the owners, I'd like them more, but what security?

Nightshifter here, out walking my leash-trained ferret anytime between 2am and 5am, and as quiet as we are at that hour, we have set off a chorus of barking dogs, and what threat do we pose to their owners? None! It would help if dogs were intelligent (some are) but most are not!

We have run into certain dogs, who have come right up to the sidewalk fence, and never barked once, but they're in the minority!

One of my co-workers was burglarized last month, and when she came home, her 2 small yappy dogs were cowering in a closet, scared out of their wits! Some security!

I would love to live in a dog-free community, but they had better allow me to have my ferret! Ferrets, by the way, can't bark, make no noise!

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheUrbanity View Post
It's illegal in my city to ban pets from a building.
What city are you referring to?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know that this proposal would solve the problem completely. Once completed, a new subdivision has the utilities, streets, sidewalks and some portion of the owner properties dedicated to them for ongoing maintenance, justifying part of the property taxes. That means anyone can walk their dog on the sidewalks of your pet-free development. I suspect that some of the more hardcore, almost militant dog people would, upon finding out about your development, would encourage dog walking there just to express their outrage at such a place existing.

OP stated that the property he was discussing would not have publically owned roads and sidewalks, but they would be owned by the HOA, fairly common with gated communities.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,892,417 times
I think I found you a couple: Dubai, Oregon, and Florida

Dog-Free Communities - Living peacefully, safelly - No Dogs AllowedNO Dogs, Please!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:11 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
I once read (for no apparent reason because he doesn't interest me) that Jimmy Fallon lives in a dog-free community in NYC.

Even dog-free is meaningless. People with "service dogs" can go anywhere. A friend of mine is moving into a dog free apartment, but they have to allow her because her doctor wrote a note that her dog, which she leaves alone for hours and hours and hours, is a service dog.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:57 AM

103 posts, read 96,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
What city are you referring to?
Toronto. A landlord cannot ban pets from a building here. It's also illegal to charge a security deposit to someone moving into an apartment. That's another difference from many cities.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM

658 posts, read 721,435 times
I think this is a great idea. Not everyone likes dogs, and sometimes even if they don't mind the dog, they mind dog owners because a heck of a lot of folks who own dogs also leave dog feces everywhere and don't want to be clean and civilized people and pick it up. It's disgusting and smelly and who wants to walk around their neighborhood with turds all over the place? Some dog owners also don't put their pups on leashes (like the one that ran into my apartment a few days ago when I opened the door to leave) which again can put the pup and/or others at risk. Some are allergic to or very fearful of dogs. SOme dog owners don't neuter their dogs so again, more risk for unwanted breeding. Dogs can be escape artists and run all over which can make some folks uneasy. I think a neighborhood without dogs would be nice. No barking, no turds, no howling, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:10 PM

658 posts, read 721,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I once read (for no apparent reason because he doesn't interest me) that Jimmy Fallon lives in a dog-free community in NYC.

Even dog-free is meaningless. People with "service dogs" can go anywhere. A friend of mine is moving into a dog free apartment, but they have to allow her because her doctor wrote a note that her dog, which she leaves alone for hours and hours and hours, is a service dog.
That is very cruel treatment for the dog. Dogs are social animals, they're not meant to be alone. It will make the dog destructive and stressed. Poor creature. Dog owners can really suck. Sounds like she is treating the dog as some kind of novelty instead of a living thing.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:14 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
People can really suck. It has nothing to do with owning a dog or living in a dog free community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning