Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 20,727 times

Advertisements

I'm considering establishing a dog-free residential subdivision. Does anyone know if there are any others in the USA? I know there are condos with pet restrictions, but have not found any residential neighborhoods with this. If there are, I'd like to learn of their experiences.

I would appreciate replies that address the question. I am fully aware that there are many (a majority) that "would never live in such a neighborhood," either because of the dog restriction, or because there are any restrictions at all. I am not trying to appeal to people with that outlook, but rather to a highly motivated minority. Also, please do not ask why I would want to do this (you already know) or ask "don't you like dogs?" etc. etc. That is not the question being posed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 12:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
I suspect there are no subdivisions that are dog or cat free given the statistics on pet ownership. Builders, sellers and landlords want the largest pool of potential buyers/renters they can get. Restrictions would limit this. Personally, I like your idea and would move to a cat free subdivision if there was one. Hate those suckers.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,688 times
... and your fiefdom would still be incapable of preventing homeowners from having service, companion, or therapy animals (including dogs)!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
I've never heard of a subdivision with such a rule. However... in a city core, you can find pet-free buildings, and even neighbourhoods where it's not practical to own a dog... no place convenient to walk it, no local parks that allow dogs, etc..

Old 09-15-2015, 05:42 PM

The true service animals could be strictly defined and require certification. They would be the only exception, and are usually not part of the dog problems, except one, which could be strictly regulated. As for so-called companion and therapy animals, no animal controls would be possible anywhere if they could not be excluded. They're not as much of a problem running afoul of the ADA.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:09 AM

I think you mean fair housing laws rather than the ADA. The ADA does not generally extend into private territory which is one of the reasons HOA boards continue to discriminate against handicapped homeowners. Fair housing acts establish another set of anti-discrimination standards which do apply even inside privately owned property. Given your attitude towards companion and therapy animals and your desire to be obnoxious about service animals, it's clear you won't be able to help but overreach. Your private regulation scheme is doomed from the outset and for good reason.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 09-16-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Thanks IC_deLight for that distinction. How is it that many condos can have restrictive rules on pets?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:33 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Well, I love dogs and companion animals in general, BUT, why not have a pet-free subdivision? There is room for all kinds of (legal, moral) special interests in this country. Why not give it a try? Just create an HOA with up-front rules against having pets.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 AM

I fully agree that there is room for all kinds, and this would be one of those kinds. The criteria for this HOA agreement would be the deleterious impact on other homeowners. Owning a goldfish or a hamster would likely have zero impact. Roosters and peacocks would also have to be prohibited, however. I agree with the psychological value of animal companions, but the concept has been abused legally in attempts to evade reasonable restrictions on certain types of dangerous or disruptive pets.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Well, I love dogs and companion animals in general, BUT, why not have a pet-free subdivision? There is room for all kinds of (legal, moral) special interests in this country. Why not give it a try? Just create an HOA with up-front rules against having pets.
The problem is when you try to extend and impose your "special interests" on others. HOAs were promulgated originally to exclude people of various races and religious doctrines from being "allowed" in the neighborhood. There has been no end of various restrictive covenant schemes to circumvent prohibitions against monopolies and prohibitions against discrimination.

It's unfortunate that people actually believe that just because someone makes a written statement and records it at the county clerk's office that such statement is somehow elevated to be binding and enforceable on other people. Just because it is written doesn't make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning