Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Philadelphia's SEPTA has a 66% recovery rate. Take the current fare for a single bus ride $2.25. It would increase to $3.02 for a single fare on bus/train.

I don't think subsidizing transportation is bad. It happens in pretty much every country in the world. It's a matter of being wise with which mode is subsidized and to what extent.
Is that direct or indirect costs? Direct would be the costs of paying the driver and the fuel to get you to your destination. Indirect is everything else. RTD's recovery is 1/3 and its fare for a single ride is $2.60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Is that direct or indirect costs? Direct would be the costs of paying the driver and the fuel to get you to your destination. Indirect is everything else.
Operating costs. So the day to day costs but not construction. Think it also includes vehicle maintance but not acquisition:

Operating expenses are expenses incurred by transit agencies that are associated with operating
mass transportation services (vehicle operations, maintenance, and administration). Reconciling items
are expenses where accounting practices vary in the way transit agencies handle them due to local
requirements. The NTST excludes reconciling items such as depreciation, interest expenses, leases
and rentals.

http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram...TST/00NTST.pdf

Quote:
RTD's recovery is 1/3 and its fare for a single ride is $2.60.
To nitpick, many transit riders use a monthly pass; which changes the average cost a bit; dunno if it does for the RTD.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Operating costs. So the day to day costs but not construction. Think it also includes vehicle maintance but not acquisition:

Operating expenses are expenses incurred by transit agencies that are associated with operating
mass transportation services (vehicle operations, maintenance, and administration). Reconciling items
are expenses where accounting practices vary in the way transit agencies handle them due to local
requirements. The NTST excludes reconciling items such as depreciation, interest expenses, leases
and rentals.

http://www.ntdprogram.gov/ntdprogram...TST/00NTST.pdf

To nitpick, many transit riders use a monthly pass; which changes the average cost a bit; dunno if it does for the RTD.
Yes, it's cheaper to buy a monthly pass. Plus they have some sort of "student pass" which I think costs even less.

The people who post here about how much it costs to drive a car include every possible thing they can think of-driver's license, car registration, what have you.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:43 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Your food is subsidized. Farmers get subsidies. A grocery store in my community got a subsidy to locate here.
My analogy was clearly about food subsidies for the poor. Does it make sense for your taxes to go to subsidizing my purchase of things I want, but don't need, such as a rack of baby back ribs or a six pack of Stone? The logic of keeping people fed because that is a public good does not extend to a person's purchase of discretionary luxury items. By the same logic, the argument that some of our roadway capacity (I've been specifically concerned here with the restricted access highway-freeway-interstate complex, not city streets) serves the public good does not extend to personal trips or commerce. The public good argument does not include my Amazon delivery, my trip to Six Flags, my commute. If these things are valuable to me, I should be willing to pay the cost and should not expect other's to subsidize them on my behalf.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Yes, it's cheaper to buy a monthly pass. Plus they have some sort of "student pass" which I think costs even less.

The people who post here about how much it costs to drive a car include every possible thing they can think of-driver's license, car registration, what have you.
That's mostly because this forum is a very small number of people discussing the costs and dominance of cars in the US. The average person is not in this conversation, and US culture revolves so closely around the automobile that those other costs are overlooked and not discussed.

It is extremely commonplace for transit to be picked apart and voted down by the public over the costs for tracks, stations, ROW, and rolling stock. It takes years for transit projects to take off because of these issues, all picked apart on the news. However, rarely is a road, highway, interchange picked apart in terms of detailed and hidden costs, partly because so much of the costs and taxes are already baked into life in the US.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well, what does this mean then: "If it's expensive to travel, people would travel far fewer miles and would use the cheapest option to do so."

Sounds like you think that's a positive thing.
Definitional expensive, ie, that it is a thing with a direct cost to you. Put a dollar price a good that previously was unpriced in dollars and choices change accordingly by people consuming less of that thing. I was only saying that we would be forced to re-evaluate our choices about how we get around. It was purely descriptive.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well, that is part of the cost each of us faces as drivers and should be included in the total. But we should be so comprehensive for other modes, too, for consistency's sake.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That's mostly because this forum is a very small number of people discussing the costs and dominance of cars in the US. The average person is not in this conversation, and US culture revolves so closely around the automobile that those other costs are overlooked and not discussed.

It is extremely commonplace for transit to be picked apart and voted down by the public over the costs for tracks, stations, ROW, and rolling stock. It takes years for transit projects to take off because of these issues, all picked apart on the news. However, rarely is a road, highway, interchange picked apart in terms of detailed and hidden costs, partly because so much of the costs and taxes are already baked into life in the US.
You obviously don't live in Colorado. This road New coalition plans to steer Denver-area road projects back on track - The Denver Post (W-470) has been under discussion for at least 30 years now.
WestConnect History - Jefferson County, Colorado (Timetable)

Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Very interesting, not surprising. I see how cars per adult and cars per household go up dramatically outside the inner core. I'll be quite interested in seeing Denver's map, which I'll understand more in terms of neighborhoods.
I'll get to making Denver's map eventually but citydata.com has a cars per household map:

http://www.city-data.com/#data

Separates by renter and owned homes, too. Though by household rather than per adult. Search for "Mean Number of Vehicles". Most of the city is at about 1 vehicle per rental unit or more but there's a small area around downtown that's at 0.5 - 0.7 vehicles per unit. Numbers not quite comparable to my map as mine didn't separate rental and owner housing.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning