Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 05:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Sure, but it's not the only part of the zoning code that adds costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
The HUD link is all about overcrowding.

That's a concern, but not necessarily what's at stake.

Personally, I have a lot of wiggle room for what counts as standard. Not moral wiggle room, mind you--I don't condone a person living in squalor--but variations based on socio-economic preferences. But, at basic, a person should have access to mobility options that are reliable and convenient, a person should feel safe, a person should have reasonable access to services, and a person should have healthy living conditions.

What's your basis?
The link was in response to a post (rant) about square footage.

My basis? Well, I do think an adequate number of square feet per person is important. I did spend a career in public health and I do know that overcrowding helps spread disease. Housing should have to meet minimum standards for safety and habitability as well. You know, plumbing works properly, wiring is safe, hot and cold water available in the home, not down the hall. Adequate heat in winter. Stove and refrigerator facilities available. Access and egress in case of fire, explosion, etc.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
True, but the question was specifically about parking.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The link was in response to a post (rant) about square footage.

My basis? Well, I do think an adequate number of square feet per person is important. I did spend a career in public health and I do know that overcrowding helps spread disease. Housing should have to meet minimum standards for safety and habitability as well. You know, plumbing works properly, wiring is safe, hot and cold water available in the home, not down the hall. Adequate heat in winter. Stove and refrigerator facilities available. Access and egress in case of fire, explosion, etc.
Then we're generally in agreement.

The question becomes: can we meet those basic needs in a way that minimizes cost, maximizes the number of people served, and doesn't load up a development with things "very serious people" think those at the bottom of the ladder "need" (but really don't)?

I think we can, but it takes creativity and an allowance from the city to be creative in responding to that need for housing.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
True, but the question was specifically about parking.
It was a rhetorical question to someone whose only issue seems to be parking.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It was a rhetorical question to someone who seems to think the ONLY thing that adds extra cost to a dwelling is a parking requirement.
You mean freedom isn't free?!?!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Then we're generally in agreement.

The question becomes: can we meet those basic needs in a way that minimizes cost, maximizes the number of people served, and doesn't load up a development with things "very serious people" think those at the bottom of the ladder "need" (but really don't)?

I think we can, but it takes creativity and an allowance from the city to be creative in responding to that need for housing.
Just what are you referring to? I never saw any city codes requiring, say, granite countertops, hardwood floors/wool wall to wall carpeting, soaking tubs, fireplaces (very popular here in Colorado), stuff like that. That builders build dwellings like that is a "let the market decide" issue.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
The restrictions do not impose constraints on the price of the housing nor on the profit the developer can keep.

Your economic theory is simplistic at best. The developer is there to maximize after-tax profit from the development - not for some altruistic housing plan.

Whatever benefits you think will accrue will be captured by the developer (and rightfully so). The developer isn't going to lower prices just because it isn't putting in parking - it will simply build and sell more housing for greater profit.
You should read up on the "competition" concept. If an idea works, other developers will copy it. Then they compete with each other for customers based on price and other factors. The result is prices stay in check relative to cost.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's a massive percentage. The smaller the housing, the larger a parking space is in comparison. With micro apartments, parking can be over half of the total square footage if required at a 1:1 ratio. Parking can exceed 400 sf/space in a small garage including circulation, egress, etc. Micro housing or even small studios can easily be under 400 sf/unit including common areas.

Likewise, a property might fit 20 units and 20 parking spaces at a cost of $100,000 per unit for land alone. Or it can fit 40 units and 20 parking spaces at a cost of $50,000 per unit for land. Parking in urban projects can easily exceed $40,000 per space, so there's that too. (Geometry and engineering can mean 20 spaces is reasonable but 24 would be absurdly expensive.)

Of course it's not this simple and land prices will go up when this concept is proven, but the per-unit cost ends up being dramatically lower.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You should read up on the "competition" concept. If an idea works, other developers will copy it. Then they compete with each other for customers based on price and other factors. The result is prices stay in check relative to cost.

1. The customer for "developers" is not typically the end-consumer.

2. Competition isn't an issue when there is an overwhelming number of people that need housing. Your economic theory suggesting that housing prices will fall if parking disappears is flawed. A developer will just build and sell more "units" - not necessarily less expensive units.

3. Prices don't have to stay in check relative to cost just because there are multiple participants in a market. The multiple participants typically have similar objectives and belong to the same trade groups. It's in all of their interests to keep prices up. Perhaps you are unaware of the builders that have sibling subsidiaries that provide financing for prospective homeowners? The builder wants all of the homes to sell at higher prices. The financing subsidiaries will give great financing deals for the first several homes to help create high dollar comparables for subsequent sales to be financed by other lenders.

4. As far as ideas that 'work', your complaint is really that other urbanists long before you promoted codes and regulations that you object to. Perhaps you never knew the negative aspects of the congestive density you seek to promote.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 07-25-2016 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning