Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Indeed. Neither are these necessarily Republican (or conservative) values. There are individualistic people in bustling cities, and communitarian-minded people in small towns and in rural expanses.

Rather, I think that the values-difference is one of cosmopolitanism vs. parochialism. The former posits that the world in its various parts and persuasions, is much alike. A person happens to live here or there, but ultimately is a citizen of the world. Trade and communication connect us all, and the particular tendencies and beliefs of one group of people, are just a coloring and flavoring and so forth; they're not fundamental to who we are. The latter view, in contrast, maintains that cultural differences are fundamental. National identity matters greatly, as does local identity within the nation. Strong preference is accorded to one's own group, while outsiders are regarded with suspicion.

It is possible to live in NYC and to hold conservative/Republican views on taxation and social "wedge issues" (sexual morality and the like), or to hold the opposing view while living in the isolated countryside. But it is nearly impossible to avoid the cosmopolitan view while living in Manhattan, NY – or to avoid the parochial view while living in Manhattan, Kansas.
Ah, yes, a bunch of country bumpkins, reinforced at the end by a reference to Manhattan, KS.

It is possible to live in NYC and be quite parochial. In fact, New Yorkers are famous for parochialism! Ever see those cartoons of a New Yorker's view of the rest of the country? Here's a sampling, with one of the good ones highlighted: https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...kZoG4vbcH0M%3A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Of course, being a jerk isn't limited to the city or the country. But there is a difference between parochialism and condescension. Parochialism is a tribal cleaving to one's limited circle, regarding all others as alien and untrustworthy. Condescension is taking a world-tour, seeing other peoples and nations, and deciding that they are retrograde and inferior. Yes, of course, denizens of world-capitals scoff at provincials. That has been true at least since at least Herodotus. But the difference is that the very same New Yorkers who regard West Virginia as a warren of inbred banjo-strummers, would grudgingly acknowledge their counterparts in Paris, London or Berlin.

Indeed, one of the emergent themes in this election, is that persons living in the major cities, who travel regularly to other such cities, who engage in trade and investment and technical-conferences and workshops and so forth, regard themselves less as Americans or Germans or whatnot, than as members of a worldwide camaraderie. They meet in concert halls and airport lounges – not in the village general-store. The resulting feeling is not one of liberalism or conservatism, but a fervent belief, that national borders are convenient demarcations on a map, but not really significant to business or science, to culture or communication. Such borders merely stifle and impede. And then we have the opposing camp, the mostly rural and small-town camp, leery and skeptical of outsiders, clinging with a simplistic earnestness of splitting people into us and them.

Living now (contrary to what I would have desired) in the rural American Midwest, I watch the more sophisticated parts of the world race ahead, and feel dismay of how I and my fellow peasants are left mired in backwardness. It's hard not to feel seething resentment - and parochial self-righteousness.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Of course, being a jerk isn't limited to the city or the country. But there is a difference between parochialism and condescension. Parochialism is a tribal cleaving to one's limited circle, regarding all others as alien and untrustworthy. Condescension is taking a world-tour, seeing other peoples and nations, and deciding that they are retrograde and inferior. Yes, of course, denizens of world-capitals scoff at provincials. That has been true at least since at least Herodotus. But the difference is that the very same New Yorkers who regard West Virginia as a warren of inbred banjo-strummers, would grudgingly acknowledge their counterparts in Paris, London or Berlin.

Indeed, one of the emergent themes in this election, is that persons living in the major cities, who travel regularly to other such cities, who engage in trade and investment and technical-conferences and workshops and so forth, regard themselves less as Americans or Germans or whatnot, than as members of a worldwide camaraderie. They meet in concert halls and airport lounges – not in the village general-store. The resulting feeling is not one of liberalism or conservatism, but a fervent belief, that national borders are convenient demarcations on a map, but not really significant to business or science, to culture or communication. Such borders merely stifle and impede. And then we have the opposing camp, the mostly rural and small-town camp, leery and skeptical of outsiders, clinging with a simplistic earnestness of splitting people into us and them.

Living now (contrary to what I would have desired) in the rural American Midwest, I watch the more sophisticated parts of the world race ahead, and feel dismay of how I and my fellow peasants are left mired in backwardness. It's hard not to feel seething resentment - and parochial self-righteousness.
I don't think you get it. There's plenty of parochialism in big coastal cities. People who don't know where their food comes from, have no idea how it's grown, etc. You seem to think condescension is a good thing. How sanctimonious of you! I'm appalled at this entire post. It is simply laughable to think that the average resident of NYC lives as you describe, hanging out at the concert hall or the airport. Are you trolling, ie, trying to get people to respond? Seems like it.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-06-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 03:07 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Seems the obvious direction this thread might have taken given the forum it's in is the article's closing reference to Jack Kemp, former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. And the last GOP candidate I can remember who could speak convincingly to inner city urban issues. (For me that candidate is not Donald Trump.)

Whether correlated more to race or class, the GOP has lost much of its urban support because it just has not spoken to those voters. The aftermath of the Mitt Romney loss had the party asking itself, Why are we losing the minority and female votes? Four years later, regardless of our personal politics and whose side we take, we can assess in this election cycle how the GOP responded.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Looks like the density - voting correlation increased drastically. A follow up to that New York Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/up...ban-split.html

Some NYC metro counties are on the bottom right — relatively Republican for the country, but higher density for suburban counties (not just high residential density but less non-developed land in its borders than most)

Old 11-16-2016, 01:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

another

https://twitter.com/FT/status/798981482282786821

Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Exhibit A why I try to avoid living in very low-density areas.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM

a section of southern Brooklyn was still among the highest Trump voting areas of NY State

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6223...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-16-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Still, correlation =/= causation. Especially when you throw in a county in Texas to compare with NYC. The density = voting for Hillary does not fly in CO. Well, it does, sort of, but a lot of non-dense counties voted for her, too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=voti...1Nig3Ui_hKM%3A
http://www.indexmundi.com/facts/unit...lation-density

Old 11-16-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Still, correlation =/= causation. Especially when you throw in a county in Texas to compare with NYC. The density = voting for Hillary does not fly in CO. Well, it does, sort of, but a lot of non-dense counties voted for her, too.
Works badly for New England. I'll repeat pointing correlation is not necessarily arguing for causation... a correlation is a correlation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning