Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you travelled abroad and found things you would like the US to do in regards to urban planning?
Yes, have been abroad and feel there are things from elsewhere that should be implemented in the US 57 81.43%
Yes, have been abroad and feel there is nothing to be learned from abroad 4 5.71%
No, but think there might be interesting things to learn from elsewhere 5 7.14%
No, and don't believe there is anything to be learned from anywhere else 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm commenting on the maps. But what? I was commenting on whatever I found interesting, I'm unsure what you're trying to argue if anything. I liked your link. I didn't you say you had been to Paris or London.

They left out big parks in London as well. Would parks up the score much? I thought it was based on street trees.

Edit: reading their paper it sounds like it was just based on streets, but then parks show up. Maybe they're missing in the maps but don't affect the score.
But . . . there's always some rationale for Europe, e.g. only in the old part of town, smaller city limits, etc.

I was the one saying that I didn't have any knowledge of Paris or London. However, I have said that I didn't see a lot of trees in western Europe. It looks like my eyes weren't fooling me. I mean, how can you have a lot of trees when the apartment houses are built right up against the sidewalk, as they are in many German cities, and the town squares are all bricked over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But . . . there's always some rationale for Europe, e.g. only in the old part of town, smaller city limits, etc.
I wasn't trying to provide a rationale, I was commenting on the patterns of the cities, I think my comments were accurate? The small city limit has to skew Paris numbers. I do think it's a bit misleading to just focus on the old part of the city.

Quote:
I was the one saying that I didn't have any knowledge of Paris or London. However, I have said that I didn't see a lot of trees in western Europe. It looks like my eyes weren't fooling me. I mean, how can you have a lot of trees when the apartment houses are built right up against the sidewalk, as they are in many German cities, and the town squares are all bricked over?
The town squares don't take up much area. The "only in the old part of town" does explain the numbers. Most of the area of a European city isn't the old part of town. Amsterdam ends up with a higher score than Boston, I'm guessing for that reason. But skimming, streetview it seems odd that it does.

This is about how many trees you can get with apartment buildings against the sidewalk:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6670...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 01-30-2017, 06:55 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to provide a rationale, I was commenting on the patterns of the cities, I think my comments were accurate? The small city limit has to skew Paris numbers. I do think it's a bit misleading to just focus on the old part of the city.

The town squares don't take up much area. The "only in the old part of town" does explain the numbers. Most of the area of a European city isn't the old part of town. Amsterdam ends up with a higher score than Boston, I'm guessing for that reason. But skimming, streetview it seems odd that it does.

This is about how many trees you can get with apartment buildings against the sidewalk:

Although European cities are/were generally more densely built than American cities, I wonder if one could say that--generally--the parts built outside of the medieval/defensive walls were built with ideals more similar to their contemporary cities in the US?

Take Florence, Italy for example. (I was a little disappointed that the only Italian city available in the link was Turin ) Its medieval walls were demolished in the late 19th century, when it was made the temporary capital of the newly unified Italy. Based on the maps I've seen, it appears there was little development outside of the walls, until they were demolished. So, that development would have happened around the same time as the development of many of the US's eastern--and even Midwestern--cities. If you look at the Google aerial of the city, you can see a lot more green mixed into the development, outside of the boundary where the walls were. Granted, much of the green is located in internal courtyards, but there are many more tree-lined avenues and parks, outside of those boundaries, as well.

Here is a medieval (Roman, if you want to get technical) street in Florence: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7715...7i13312!8i6656
Absolutely no room for any trees. Extremely dense, because the walls constrained development.

Here is a tree-lined boulevard just outside of the former city walls: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7844...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:

That's NYC. I wish I could remember the names of some of the towns where we were in Germany. Here's Cologne: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...602786!6m1!1e1

Here's one of the towns where we were, Aachen. Note dearth of trees, especially downtown.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aa...55!4d6.0838868

Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
That's NYC.
I was trying to find an example of "trees when the apartment houses are built right up against the sidewalk" as you said, that was the first place I could think of.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I was trying to find an example of "trees when the apartment houses are built right up against the sidewalk" as you said, that was the first place I could think of.
Yes, and it's attractive. I was talking about Germany.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:01 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:

Paving river banks is not done here in CO.
Really?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2550...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-03-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
OK, it looks like a short stretch. It's nothing like what I saw in Germany.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Here's a longer stretch of channelized river in the US:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0675...8i6656!6m1!1e1

There are a lot more of these I've run into, I think it's quite common in southern California and the southwest especially. Maybe it's common in other places.

Treepedia seems interesting. Would love to see them update their methodology and survey more cities.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:34 AM

The Providence, RI channelization looks much more European. Both have dense buildings built right to the river bank and vertical walls and a walkway along the river. The southwest ones aren't quite as built up, but might have something to do with a very irregular river flow level and route. LA County has a history of its channelization:

http://ladpw.org/wmd/watershed/LA/History.cfm

Treepedia's result look a bit odd, but I need to go through it again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning