Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you travelled abroad and found things you would like the US to do in regards to urban planning?
Yes, have been abroad and feel there are things from elsewhere that should be implemented in the US 57 81.43%
Yes, have been abroad and feel there is nothing to be learned from abroad 4 5.71%
No, but think there might be interesting things to learn from elsewhere 5 7.14%
No, and don't believe there is anything to be learned from anywhere else 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh? I was in Germany in 2008 (I think), not in Berlin, though. I was in Cologne and Frankfort. I know I was there when my daughter was in PT school; 2006-2009.
Oh, I guess it depends on the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It really isn't really about "exercise" with the goal of losing weight. Or even transit. People who travel slower stop more, it gives you an excuse to interact with your neighbors and surrounding. Lots of benefits. Whether you take more steps per day or not. It would encourage less sitting which everyone agree is bad.

It is making not driving an option. It doesn't even mean entertainment. Most countries do a better job than we do of not designing cities only for car transport. Enabling trips for incidentals via smart design and infrastructure takes nothing away from anyone. And isn't a city only amenity. Lots of suburbs are walkable in parts because useful stuff is clustered in a way to make it possible to do on one trip. Even one on foot.
"Everyone" does not agree on anything, though that probably comes close.

"Most countries" designed their cities long before urban planning, or cars ever existed. Actually, most of our cities were extant before cars as well, as anyone living in California should know.

I'd like to know why every thread like this turns into an anti-car rant.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Yes, this is so frustrating. There are a growing number of millennials and seniors are not driving at all. Instead of developing a good transportation system we are headed in the direction of delivery and self driving vehicles. It will be interesting to watch how this progresses.
Not really for millennials. As the economy has improved, so has car ownership. I don't think personal transportation vehicles will ever be replaced. People like to be able to go when they want to go. The type of vehicle will change, but not private ownership-my prediction. Most seniors don't give up driving until they absolutely have to; it takes away their freedom. Always having to arrange rides is a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I saw plenty of bike lanes in Berlin. They were likely installed in the last couple decades.

The choice to pave with concrete was done over 100 years ago; it's difficult to undo if there are buildings right nearby. It's done in some US cities, too. Providence:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8257...7i13312!8i6656
While I agree it's difficult to undo, I love the excuse. It's always "different" with Europe. It was dumb then; it's dumb now. Yes, I've seen that in the US in a few cases, but not virtually everywhere as in western Europe.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Not really for millennials. As the economy has improved, so has car ownership. I don't think personal transportation vehicles will ever be replaced. People like to be able to go when they want to go. The type of vehicle will change, but not private ownership-my prediction. Most seniors don't give up driving until they absolutely have to; it takes away their freedom. Always having to arrange rides is a pain.

While I agree it's difficult to undo, I love the excuse. It's always "different" with Europe. It was dumb then; it's dumb now. Yes, I've seen that in the US in a few cases, but not virtually everywhere as in western Europe.
His statement should be that car ownership rates among millennials as a group is both substantially lower and starts at a later age, if at all, than people of prior generations. That part is very much true. It's also true that people like to be able to go when they want to go. These things are all true!

Channelized waterways are really common among smaller waterways that have urban centers adjacent to them throughout the developed world--I think that's probably the more accurate statement.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
My giving a New England example, I was trying to say it's not as different.

My point is they're from choices a long time; not from any current view today. It's not meant to be an excuse, but I don't have particularly strong feelings on them. The choice to build them was made at a time when most didn't travel much faster than walking speed, land was at a premium, and the waterfront also at a premium. It's not random that Providence has them; it's an old ciy and the waterway is small. While not the best ecologically, the channelized river in Prague I thought was quite nice, and it's a popular tourist attraction:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...1!4d14.4378005

American cities may usually have less channelization but many suffered from population problems.

Last edited by nei; 12-31-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
"Most countries" designed their cities long before urban planning, or cars ever existed. Actually, most of our cities were extant before cars as well, as anyone living in California should know.
The old parts of European cities predate urban planning, but 19th and 20th century development, which is where the majority live do not. German cities in particular, as you know, had to be rebuilt after the war.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM

Speaking of Germany, I was impressed how much the center cities were rebuilt to the old form in a way that tried to keep the old urban form and style. Rather than say, developing in outlying areas and ignoring the old city. May reflect a culture that values their cities more? Or just an architectural conservatism?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
His statement should be that car ownership rates among millennials as a group is both substantially lower and starts at a later age, if at all, than people of prior generations. That part is very much true. It's also true that people like to be able to go when they want to go. These things are all true!

Channelized waterways are really common among smaller waterways that have urban centers adjacent to them throughout the developed world--I think that's probably the more accurate statement.
See this: The Great Millennial Car Comeback - The Atlantic
"One of the hazards of being paid to think out loud is that most ideas are wrong, and some of those wrong ideas are bound to be yours.

Several years ago, I wrote a column with Jordan Weissmann, now the senior business and economics correspondent for Slate, about how young people, gutted by the Great Recession, might turn against the culture of suburban homes and cars, the two big-ticket items that have powered the country through previous recessions. . . . This week, Bloomberg reports new data from J.D. Power & Associates, which finds that Millennials, or Generation Y (essentially: anybody born in the 1980s or 1990s), now account for 27 percent of new car sales. That's more than Generation X, and second only to Boomers."

I'll address channelization later. It was considered a bad environmental idea back in the 1970s in the US. But if it's in Europe, of course, "that's different".

Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'll address channelization later. It was considered a bad environmental idea back in the 1970s in the US. But if it's in Europe, of course, "that's different".
I didn't say it was bad in the US or good in Europe. I'm not criticizing them anywhere; so how am I treating Europe differently?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
See this: The Great Millennial Car Comeback - The Atlantic
"One of the hazards of being paid to think out loud is that most ideas are wrong, and some of those wrong ideas are bound to be yours.

Several years ago, I wrote a column with Jordan Weissmann, now the senior business and economics correspondent for Slate, about how young people, gutted by the Great Recession, might turn against the culture of suburban homes and cars, the two big-ticket items that have powered the country through previous recessions. . . . This week, Bloomberg reports new data from J.D. Power & Associates, which finds that Millennials, or Generation Y (essentially: anybody born in the 1980s or 1990s), now account for 27 percent of new car sales. That's more than Generation X, and second only to Boomers."
The above also agrees Millennials buying cars at a later age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning