Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

OP, you mentioned that your town is dying. Does this industrial facility produce jobs? Income for the residents of your town? Is it the main industry in an otherwise hollowing-out employment base?

If so, then I'm afraid you're just going to have to live with it. It may be ugly, but it sure beats a dead town with boarded up storefronts and hopeless residents.

As for the aesthetics, sometimes there's really nothing much you can do about it. Maybe you could persuade the owners to splash some colorful paint on the walls, or even create a picture of something on it. There are some oil tanks in Baltimore, just off I-95, that took this approach; they painted illustrations of famous Baltimore scenes (a crab; the Star Spangled Banner; the running of the Preakness) on them; made them look much better. I actually enjoy seeing them now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 8,403 times
Yes, it does produce jobs. It's not a major job producer but we wouldn't want to lose it. The pictures you posted look like an idea and they sure look better than what we see from our plant. It's a corn processing plant. I'm afraid we are going to probably have to live with it. It was my hope that I could get people excited about living downtown as that seems to be a popular trend. I just am fairly convinced with that view Millenials and Gen Xers won't find it an attractive place to be. It kills me not to be able to let everyone see the picture. Thank you for at least offering some advice. Really appreciate you taking time to answer. I want so desperately to help my hometown.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnland View Post
Yes, it does produce jobs. It's not a major job producer but we wouldn't want to lose it. The pictures you posted look like an idea and they sure look better than what we see from our plant. It's a corn processing plant. I'm afraid we are going to probably have to live with it. It was my hope that I could get people excited about living downtown as that seems to be a popular trend. I just am fairly convinced with that view Millenials and Gen Xers won't find it an attractive place to be. It kills me not to be able to let everyone see the picture. Thank you for at least offering some advice. Really appreciate you taking time to answer. I want so desperately to help my hometown.
I could be wrong, as I don't know the rules that well, but I think you only need 3 more posts, before your links start working.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Good maybe I'll get there soon. It just occurred to me the land use tool I've been thinking would work is a buffer zone. Are there buffer zones that would work in this case??

Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnland View Post
Good maybe I'll get there soon. It just occurred to me the land use tool I've been thinking would work is a buffer zone. Are there buffer zones that would work in this case??
I'm not sure what you mean by buffer zone, in this case. As I understand it, the problem is that the eyesore industrial plant is located within easy visual range of downtown. Buffering it might help block out any unpleasant issues at street level, but I wouldn't think that it would make any difference in its overall unsightliness.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Finally--- I think the picture is attached.

I think I was able to upload the picture. Probably anti-climactic now. Anyway this is the eyesore just a stones throw from downtown. Can anything be done. Anybody see something like this blocked out??
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all urban planners-img_2133.jpg  

Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Oddly enough, I don't find that building to be particularly unappealing. To be sure, it screams "Midwest." But so what? Lots of small towns in the Midwest look exactly like that.

And no, I can't think of anything that would effectively buffer it from downtown. With no hills to hide behind, and the fact that the downtown area is located so close to that facility, it basically means that you're out of luck. There is no way to hide that big building.

I think the best solution is to paint it and make it look more appealing that way, such as those oil tanks in Baltimore that are shown upthread. Just like there are lots of oil tanks in port cities, but those ones in Baltimore look kind of special; so too are there lots of those industrial buildings in the Midwest, but maybe yours can be dressed up and made to stand out.

It looks like some effort has been made to spruce up the streetscape, with the old-fashioned street lamps and the brick sidewalk edges. Maybe more of that sort of thing could help, though there's probably not much more you can do within the available budget, which I would imagine isn't all that great.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:12 PM

Well, thank you again for taking a look. Maybe we could get them to paint it like the ones in Baltimore. I was kind of afraid that there wouldn't be a way to hide it. I'm glad someone got to see it. Our city is the one that usually gets all the abuse in our state. So much going wrong in Illinois. Best to you in the future. Thanks for not being snarky. When it's your hometown things get a little personal. It used to be a promising town. Hope we can make something work downtown.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
what is the name of the town, I'm pretty sure you can find a picture of it on google street view, then copy and past the link here.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:20 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Please remember to simplify your own policies. Reducing complication to these unique problems. For this one in particular, just hide the atrocious visuals with tons of neighboring exterior facades to mitigate anything hideous. Or replace entire actual pre-existing structures with another type of eye sight vantage point grounding. Ultimately constructing literal tall walls revolving around this building of focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning