Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM

839 posts, read 735,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Upsetting the urban myth that millennials are rejecting the suburbs for the inner cities. Migration to the suburbs and away from urban cores has accelerated dramatically since the early years of the Great Recession (and for good cause):

Pervasive Suburbanization: The 2017 Data | Newgeography.com
No offense meant to the Americans here, but since American cities tend to be **** (except for New York), I would move to the suburbs as well. If I was unfortunate enough to be American and living in Atlanta for example, there is no point in living in downtown and I might as well suck it up and live in the suburbs while counting the days until I die.

Fortunately, I'm not American nor do I live in a US city. I'm currently visiting Tokyo, my 2nd favourite city in the world, for the third time. Now this is a city worth living in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:28 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
No offense meant to the Americans here, but since American cities tend to be **** (except for New York), I would move to the suburbs as well. If I was unfortunate enough to be American and living in Atlanta for example, there is no point in living in downtown and I might as well suck it up and live in the suburbs while counting the days until I die.

Fortunately, I'm not American nor do I live in a US city. I'm currently visiting Tokyo, my 2nd favourite city in the world, for the third time. Now this is a city worth living in!
I wouldn't put all other US cities into that basket.

Chicago, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and San Francisco, I'd say, have the sort of urbanity and density you prefer in their cores and the neighborhoods adjacent to them.

And the "railroad suburbs" of most of the cities above are also different in character from most US suburbs: they're more urban in form and more urbane in character than, say, most of the suburbs of Atlanta.

I will, however, grant that the urbanity drops off rapidly as you put distance between yourself and the train station. This is perhaps to be expected.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post

I agree. For all the urban arguments for the US, it's depressingly not. I can only really live in NYC in the states and likely will until I die. Last time I went back to Chicago (my hometown), 2 weeks ago, I had to admit that I'd rather be in the suburbs. Needed a car to get where we needed to, couldn't park anywhere because of dibs, and when we found a spot it was $12 to street park. Chicago makes me miss the MTA's breath so much. When my friend recommends a pizza place, it shouldn't be 30m walking distance from the nearest train stop. YMMV, but growing up there, I have friends in weird places.

I've been to Tokyo 4 times in the last 2 years. Definitely my favorite city. If it wasn't terrible to work there and wasn't so hard to emigrate countries, I'd probably be partying in Dogenzaka right now, or at an arcade in Akihabara. Hell, Kabukicho is still fun to me, and Nakano is my quite run down get away, all accessible by train. Tachikawa, Asakusa, etc. I won't even go into the cultural aspects, which is what really pushes it to #1 for me.

I applied for MEXT. Fingers crossed I can get into Tokyo University for my masters.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I applied for MEXT. Fingers crossed I can get into Tokyo University for my masters.
Good luck! I hope you get into that program.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:42 AM

BBC News: The UK's rapid return to city centre living

Quote:
Only 30 years ago inner city populations that had grown rapidly in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries had dwindled - the residents leaving cramped, urban housing for more spacious suburbs and new towns.

The reversal that has taken place - especially in the north of England and the Midlands - demonstrates a dramatic urban renaissance and a shift in how people want to live.

Since the start of the 21st Century the population of many town and city centres has doubled in size, while the population of the UK has increased by 10%.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:45 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Too me it's something like this(my family moved to the burbs when I was 11).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0JPees65M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning