Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Scared money don’t make money.
Where's the LIKE button?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM

18,727 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Do cities "build it and they will come?" Building before growing?

Probably. A school has to be ready for new students before they actually arrive. Etc.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM

666 posts, read 516,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Do cities "build it and they will come?" Building before growing?

Probably. A school has to be ready for new students before they actually arrive. Etc.
But do you build the school if your population isn't having any more kids?

I suppose you could think of it like this...

As Birmingham (or any city that hasn't seen growth) builds and progresses, it will always entice those within the state to move there from surrounding cities like Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Huntsville, Mobile etc. Thereby increasing population and thereby appearing more attractive to commerce/companies.

You're probably never going to win back those that left, but you can do what you can to entice those growing up to stay and hopefully not be lured away.

Again, I just see a lot of building and some really good things going on there! But then I see companies leaving and population not growing. The populace is moving in from other parts of town, not new fresh faces.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,597,880 times
It's risky, but you need the right infrastructure in place to attract the right companies. Empty buildings that don't serve use for current needs are of no value. Cities/Companies do best when they align with a strategic advantage and the infrastructure to support it is put in place. A very good example would be Las Vegas. Of course gaming is known, but it has also spent money to build infrastructure for data warehousing given the lack of natural disasters there and extended the gaming for additional entertainment opportunities and conventions. Chicago for years had her distribution centers connected to international waters and domestic rail and a huge airport. This in turn lead it to also develop marketing and convention events.

Alabama is one of the few states I haven't visited, so I can't tell you anything locally, but if the investments are made to attract a group that self reinforces, it's a good thing. If it's a series of me too things that have no connection...it's harder to win there.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Many towns were misled into building business parks. There was no demand to take up the excess supply. At the same time we have "ghost malls" where municipal rules prevent alternative use for the floor space in the malls. They would be perfect for light manufacturing that does not emit noxious fumes or distracting noise. Municipalities are going to need to be creative in order to survive economically.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"Is it like me not getting a raise in 10 years, but installing a pool, buying a new car, re landscaping the lawn, etc?"

no.
raised taxes are not like raises.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
in my town, the planning commision has a growth plan to attract tech people. It seems well funded and they are tearing down all the old ugly warehouse buildings and replacing them with fancy eaterys, beer halls and stuff that attract young hip millenials. They even put in hundreds of miles of highly difficult mountain bike trails that maim and injure riders every day.

In the course of 5 years, the area looks nothing like the place I moved to.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
in my town, the planning commision has a growth plan to attract tech people. It seems well funded and they are tearing down all the old ugly warehouse buildings and replacing them with fancy eaterys, beer halls and stuff that attract young hip millenials. They even put in hundreds of miles of highly difficult mountain bike trails that maim and injure riders every day.

In the course of 5 years, the area looks nothing like the place I moved to.
Do they have VC firms and hella risky capital?
Do they have top colleges attracting amazing talent to an area and developing successfully?
Do they have other tech firms that can build off one another and steal from one another?

People don't work at Google because of the cafeteria. They stay at work slightly longer while already at Google because of the cafeteria.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
I think you focus on the basics of good infrastructure, good policing, good schools, and good governance and the rest will fall into place.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
It all depends.

To take your Birmingham example, the MSA is actually slowly growing in population. Things like Stadiums, etc, don't need people in walking distance, just people willing and able to get there to see the show. Lots of friends of mine have gone to concerts at the Greensboro Coliseum all the way from Raleigh (80 miles away).

Instead of "build it and they will come," its more like maintaining what you have.

Some things will continue to have a presence in Birmingham, even after Wells Fargo bought Wachovia or BellSouth was bought by AT&T. UAB and its 21,000 students, its medical school etc...The SEC is headquartered in Birmingham too.

Other Places aspire to be something they won't really be. Take Rocky Mount, NC and their convention center. THat's a white elephant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning