Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,293 times

Advertisements

I don't understand.
Why does NY..the largest metro region...not have extremely large and more freeways?

Why is it LA...and then small metros like Indy/San Antonio have massive systems?

Is it due to NY and other northeast cities being older and having their infrastructure built decades earlier...also why is the Driscolli bridge SOOOOOO big?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
New York does not have freeways. It has parkways and expressway like a poster mentioned before.

There are relatively few park/espressway miles within the city of New York. The parkways/espressway that do exist are not wide at all, and believe me, there is absolutely NO way to expand them.
There has to be a way to widen the cross bronx...there has to.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I don't understand.
Why does NY..the largest metro region...not have extremely large and more freeways?

Why is it LA...and then small metros like Indy/San Antonio have massive systems?

Is it due to NY and other northeast cities being older and having their infrastructure built decades earlier...also why is the Driscolli bridge SOOOOOO big?
I haven't been to New York, but I would suspect it's what you said. The city is older, and was developed before the automobile became the dominant choice of transportation.

I can't speak for LA and San Antonio, but Indiana is the Crossroads of America. Half of The US population is within a days drive of Indianapolis. so as you might suspect, many trucks travel through Indy on a daily basis. Indy freeways aren't really that wide though. I think most of the highways are only continuously 3 lanes in each direction. I could be wrong, since they have the Major moves thing going on.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,939 times
for the most part the freeways in the Central indiana area are 3 lanes in each directions with some exceptions.

Interstate 70 widens to 12 lanes in each direction between Plainfield and Interstate 465.

Interstates 70/65 overlap each other downtown and have 6 lanes in each direction.

Interstate 70 between the Northsplit and 465 on the EAST side has 5 lanes in each directions.(I think)

Interstate 465 between Mile Post 20 and Exit 25 has 9 lanes in each direction.

Interstate 465(between mile post 19 and mile post 7) once all construction is complete in 2014 will have 5 lanes in each direction. with auxillary lanes which could add to the 5 lanes.

Interstate 69 between the Marion/Hamilton County line and Interstate 465 i believe has 5 lanes in each direction.(I could be wrong)

Indianapols to me isnt a small metro. Indianapolis-Carmel-Muncie-Columbus combined MSA is just over 2 million and all these cities are less than 50 miles from each other.

+ Indiana is the Cross Roads of America so thousands of trucks pass through Central Indiana daily.

They do have Major Moves going on but alot of those projects are mostly for highways.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I haven't been to New York, but I would suspect it's what you said. The city is older, and was developed before the automobile became the dominant choice of transportation.

I can't speak for LA and San Antonio, but Indiana is the Crossroads of America. Half of The US population is within a days drive of Indianapolis. so as you might suspect, many trucks travel through Indy on a daily basis. Indy freeways aren't really that wide though. I think most of the highways are only continuously 3 lanes in each direction. I could be wrong, since they have the Major moves thing going on.
Not its not. Not as far as I know. 70 and 75 intersect in Dayton Ohio, near Indiana. Not in Indiana.

Edit. Nevermind I looked it up and thats a state nickname for Indiana. Indianapolis is the highway hub it refers too. I stand corrected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_of_America

Old 08-02-2008, 08:45 AM

I think they might have ment that I-70 and I-57 cross at Vandalia.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Interstate 65 in Indianapolis between the North split and Interstate 465 varies between 4 to 6 lanes in each direction

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I don't understand.

That's part of it, yes. Part of it is also geography. New York is built mostly on islands. So you could over all of it with roads, and then...no room for, you know, people. There were, at one time, plans to build huge, skyscraper-height parking garages in Manhattan, as well as freeways running through the buildings, but, luckily, none of that ever came to pass.

The NYC region actually has a pretty large number of highways, but most of them are around six lanes. There's a couple of spots on the BQE, LIE and Grand Central where they get to ten, but that's unusual.

The Driscoll Bridge (which I've driven over countless times) is on a major transport corridor between Central/Southern NJ, and the city and Northern NJ. The Garden State Parkway generally is notorious for congestion, especially during the summer months, when people flock to the Shore. Even in the winter, though, it runs through some sprawling, high-growth areas in Jersey.

Also, someone mentioned widening the Cross Bronx. First of all, that would be prohibitively expensive. Secondly, it has been proven that widening highways does little-to-nothing to alleviate congestion, as more cars just wind up using the road that's been widened. This is especially true for a densely populated region like NY, where auto-centric planning really wouldn't do much good for anyone.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 AM

35 posts, read 116,551 times
Just tells it all,
The whole southern part of the USA and the whole West Coast have the largest freeways.
NYC and those cities are too crowded to have freeways

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM

343 posts, read 942,367 times
Houston has a pretty big freeway system. Here is a link with many photos of the freeways.

Houston Freeways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning