Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could link me to websites that show the layout of mixed use centers with retail portions. One of the cities near me is building a mixed-use center with 51,000 sq. ft. retail, hotel, residential, and office and I can't think of any other cities with mixed use centers with that much retail.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Not sure I completely understand the question. Traditionally, cities *are* mixed use. For example, 1700 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or, paris - Google Maps

It sounds like it's like a New Urbanist development, which is just mixed-use based on the traditional city. But it's something we mostly forgot how to do here in America. It currently can take any form, from being a building in a city that already has mixed use development, to basically just a mixed use "ufo" landed in the middle of suburban sprawl that you just have to drive to anyway. But here is the wikipedia link of examples in the USA. It's definitely not definitive, I know of several other examples both in Minnesota and PA, the two places I've most recently lived. Examples of New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Not sure I completely understand the question. Traditionally, cities *are* mixed use. For example, 1700 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or, paris - Google Maps

It sounds like it's like a New Urbanist development, which is just mixed-use based on the traditional city. But it's something we mostly forgot how to do here in America. It currently can take any form, from being a building in a city that already has mixed use development, to basically just a mixed use "ufo" landed in the middle of suburban sprawl that you just have to drive to anyway. But here is the wikipedia link of examples in the USA. It's definitely not definitive, I know of several other examples both in Minnesota and PA, the two places I've most recently lived. Examples of New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No I mean like a mixed use shopping center. "mixed use center"

Here is the project going in the city near me:

http://www.slocity.org/communitydeve...alAddendum.pdf

Many have described as a retail/office/residential/hotel center. And even though it's called "Chinatown" it's not a Chinatown. They called it the Chinatown project because historically there was a chinatown on this block.

I am looking for similar developments like this one.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
It looks like a pretty standard New Urbanist development to me. I think if you click on the wikipedia link there you'll find some similar examples, with links to the individual websites.

I'm guessing that the amount geared towards retail is mostly just based on what they are expecting the demand to be. It looks like the town already has a pretty healthy downtown area.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
There was one proposed for the suburb I grew up in. NIMBYs killed the plan though. The location was poor, though. It was in an area where the only development was strip malls and there was a bit of farmland and preserved forest nearby.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
It looks like a pretty standard New Urbanist development to me. I think if you click on the wikipedia link there you'll find some similar examples, with links to the individual websites.

I'm guessing that the amount geared towards retail is mostly just based on what they are expecting the demand to be. It looks like the town already has a pretty healthy downtown area.
Okay. I agree with you.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Belmar in Lakewood, CO, though a few blocks away are 40s/50s small ranch houses.

http://www.belmarcolorado.com/

Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
DC has a ton of these in the area

This one is under construction in KOP outside of Philly, actually right next to the largest mall in the US, more retail space than the Mall of America - they never recreate a organic town experience but are typically much better than either a mall or old style strip mall

Village at Valley Forge (http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/pw_05132001/links/index2.html - broken link)

To Raincoats point, these seem pretty standard these days

This one is three miles up the highway from the one being built in KOP

Providence Town Center | Shop. Dine. Play. | Collegeville, PA

This one in NOVA is very large

Welcome to the Reston Town Center.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,569 times
One was built in Sugar Land about a decade ago - coffee shop, Marriott, condos, city hall, boutiques. The Woodlands (http://www.thewoodlands-commercial.com/Images/pdfs/UrbanDesignPlan.pdf - broken link) is a huge mixed-use development; they started building it in the late 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning