Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Actually, roads between cities were often private toll roads, or just not maintained at all--they were only "built" in the sense that enough people walked or rode (horses or wagons) that way (generally, cars were impractical for long-distance overland travel) to wear a path in the dirt. Long-distance travel was generally by train or water until well into the 20th century, often including travel between relatively nearby cities. Speaking of dirt, streets were generally also dirt, or cobblestone, both of which are not very good for pneumatic tires.

But you're missing the point, dearie. You complain about modern public transit because the taxpayer pays for it, but don't seem to have any problem with public roads, which are no less taxpayer-supplied than public transit (in fact, less so, because you have to pay a fare to ride public transit.)

And while public transit has its occasional weirdness, which you are also exaggerating to a great degree, given my druthers I'd rather sit next to someone on the train who smells a little funky than suffer the fate that about 30,000 Americans deal with each year--that is to say, they are killed by other motorists in traffic accidents.
Please show me where I complained about taxpayer funded "modern public transit".

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't know what makes you think I'm taking this so "personally", but thanks for calling what some on this board are doing what it really is: suburb bashing. I'm doing what everyone else on this board does, expressing my opinion, and something only some people do, backing up my opinion with facts.
Just like everyone else, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, if you're not taking it personally, why are your posts so defensive when replying to the suburb bashing? I don't see the same kind of responses from you when the "urban bashers" claim cities are all overcrowded, dangerous, noisy and smelly?

Quote:
I was not trying to say that suburbs have everything cities have. I was saying, that contrary to what has been posted on this forum many times, suburbs have "adult" oriented activities. This includes suburbs that were not once small independent towns. But gee, thanks for "pointing that out" to me. I would not have known that suburbs of 20,000 people do not have major league sports, professional theater, 5 star dining if you hadn't "pointed it out" to me. (Sarcasm intended)
Then I misinterpreted your post, and I apologize.

Quote:
I am pointing out that suburbs are more than "giant collections of housing developments and big-box commercial strips". Sorry if you don't like to hear that.
I've been saying the same thing! But, IMO, too many suburbs really are just giant collections of housing developments and big-box commercial strips. And, I think most of the "suburb bashers" in this thread are bashing these kinds of suburbs.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Just like everyone else, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, if you're not taking it personally, why are your posts so defensive when replying to the suburb bashing? I don't see the same kind of responses from you when the "urban bashers" claim cities are all overcrowded, dangerous, noisy and smelly?

Then I misinterpreted your post, and I apologize.

I've been saying the same thing! But, IMO, too many suburbs really are just giant collections of housing developments and big-box commercial strips. And, I think most of the "suburb bashers" in this thread are bashing these kinds of suburbs.
What is defensive about what I posted? Are you a shrink? This thread is about ". . . what's wrong with living in the suburbs??" I choose to respond to the posts I want to respond to. The urbanites have many defenders, and I haven't seen anyone say "cities are all overcrowded, dangerous, noisy and smelly".

The suburb bashers on this forum, for the most part, make blanket statements such as "there are no adult activities in the suburbs", which was hogwash when my parents (and by default, I) were living in the burbs in the 50s. It's sure as hell incorrect these days; "there is no pubic transit in the suburbs", which for the vast majority of cities I am familiar with is untrue; "there are no cultural events in the suburbs", etc.

Heck (I'll cut the profanity for a moment) the Colorado Rapids MLS team plays out in the working class suburb of Commerce City!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Um.. what subway line do you use that you can relax and read your e-mail during rush hour?

Driving is 100% pleasure/education time if you listen to music/audiobooks while driving. Plus, the majority of suburbanites both live and work in the suburbs, and their 15-20 minute commutes rarely involve traffic jams.

Public transportation is only competitive when there's a guaranteed comfortable seat.
I have e-books on my blackberry, so even if I don't get a seat I can stand and read/email.

I don't see how driving is EVER pleasurable. Driving always involves some 42 year old a**hole middle manager weaving in and out of traffic, cutting everyone off because he is 'too important' to not drive like a maniac so he can save 10 seconds on his way home from work.

No thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:22 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
i agree that driving CAN be pleasure / education time, but it can also be maddening and make you want to poke out your eyes. unless your line is standing room only, public transit is always more enjoyable.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i agree that driving CAN be pleasure / education time, but it can also be maddening and make you want to poke out your eyes. unless your line is standing room only, public transit is always more enjoyable.
Public transit is great provided it doesn't take you much longer to get to your destination than driving does.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have e-books on my blackberry, so even if I don't get a seat I can stand and read/email.

I don't see how driving is EVER pleasurable. Driving always involves some 42 year old a**hole middle manager weaving in and out of traffic, cutting everyone off because he is 'too important' to not drive like a maniac so he can save 10 seconds on his way home from work.

No thanks.
LOL, agreed. The dangers and frustrations of driving (e.g. traffic jams, accidents, merging, people sliding into the one car length between you and the next person...that "important" middle manager) leaves me absolutely miserable. It's inescapable even if you drive defensively.

I always find ways to keep myself busy when taking public transportation. That's not to say it's free of issues and frustrations, but to me, it's much better. Also, I enjoy the fact that I don't sit in a car the whole way home after sitting in the office all day.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
LOL, agreed. The dangers and frustrations of driving (e.g. traffic jams, accidents, merging, people sliding into the one car length between you and the next person...that "important" middle manager) leaves me absolutely miserable. It's inescapable even if you drive defensively.

I always find ways to keep myself busy when taking public transportation. That's not to say it's free of issues and frustrations, but to me, it's much better. Also, I enjoy the fact that I don't sit in a car the whole way home after sitting in the office all day.
So do you stand up on the bus? Do jumping jacks?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So do you stand up on the bus? Do jumping jacks?
I might stand if I need to or want to, but I walk to the station from work and then walk from the station to my place. Gives me a nice 8 blocks of walking.

When I used to drive, I'd be parking in parking lot/garage, and then I'd be parking in front of my house...in other words, very little movement.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Driving in the city or sprawled out of control suburbs is madding. Some douche always trying to cut in front of 20 people so he can get ahead in the crowd while hoping not to **** off the wrong person.

But at the same time, the same thing happens in the city without the car. Europe is a very dense continent as far as its west side and my German buddy says most of the people in Europe act like NYC people. Very scary to me. Is that the future America because we sure are already there. There are more reasons why I don't like cities. Thanks Katiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning