Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:46 PM

306 posts, read 476,553 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that an urban planner can mirco-manage a specific area or neighborhood too much, so that the area loses any real or natural character?
Or is it never the fault of the planner, just that the residents are not "out-going" enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Is it possible that an urban planner can mirco-manage a specific area or neighborhood too much, so that the area loses any real or natural character?
Or is it never the fault of the planner, just that the residents are not "out-going" enough?

As an Urban Planner I can tell you that this happens all too often. Sometimes sticking to the KISS method (keep is simple stupid) is the best approach.

Planning is truly a unique and interesting field of expertise. That's why it's not easy, and that there seems to be so many problems with it... It's not easy to plan a particular area to cater for a certain group of people.

Check out some books by Jane Jacobs, Frakn lloyd wright, or my favorite book the art of city making by Landry

Old 02-21-2010, 06:05 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
one word: Brasalia

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
As an Urban Planner I can tell you that this happens all too often. Sometimes sticking to the KISS method (keep is simple stupid) is the best approach.

Planning is truly a unique and interesting field of expertise. That's why it's not easy, and that there seems to be so many problems with it... It's not easy to plan a particular area to cater for a certain group of people.

Check out some books by Jane Jacobs, Frakn lloyd wright, or my favorite book the art of city making by Landry
I wonder if that is why this community didn't pan out like it was expected to: Jonathan, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if that is why this community didn't pan out like it was expected to: Jonathan, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
seems very similar to my community of Lake Saint Louis, which was origally planned as a weekend getaway community for the City of Saint Louis.

Over time, with legal squabbles and issues taking place, it incorporated as a city to stave of annexation by the surrounding community.

Today the HOA (CA) and the City seem to have equal powers over the homes within CA boundaries. The CA controls the lakes.

I would say it is almost the perfect planned community. I would wish for a quasi or faux "downtown" area to replace the strip mall development on the east side of the lake.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
Beaverton, Oregon has been criticized for this for years. Much of this is an effort to avoid raiding farmland as much as possible, although there is currently Urban Renewal in the Planning right now (personally, I think they should chuck it, because Oregon's in no economic position to entice more newcomers).

But unlike what the last poster said about HOAs, it's almost the opposite in Beaverton. They firmly keep their state and city codes separate from the private Hell of HOAs (as they should), which has caused some contention.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM

I can honestly say that our HOA is not hell. Lots of great programs with little intrusion on private property rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning