Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 22,777 times

Advertisements

Ive been offered a job in Duchesne Utah.I was told to look for
residence in Roosevelt or Tabiona.What is there as far as homes
and activities for the family.I figure if were moving across country
i need to make sure i can keep my family entertained.Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,088 times
I have found Realtor.com to be a good place to start looking for homes and property. Roosevelt and Tabiona are in the same area as Vernal. I have read where prices are on the upswing. It appears this is due to energy industry, and I would suspect your new job has something to do with that field.

As far as family activities are concerned, don't expect malls, movie theaters, and sports stadiums. Roosevelt and Vernal are two of those places in Utah where when you tell people you are thinking of moving there, they will exclaim, "Are you nuts, there's nothing there!" If your family enjoys outdoor activities such as camping and hiking, they will be well served.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 23,113 times
I think the best choice would be Vernal> At least there are movie theatres an a couple of restaurants. The new Sports center will be ready next summer and it will have an indoor pool, gym, running tracks, and other facilities. A Lowe's in coming to town also next summer...Schools are not bad, and there's a private Christian Academy...In summer there are lots of activities, things to do, but in winter this is a dead zone!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 60,168 times
the tabiona area is an area that is more or less just a pit stop duchesne though a little bigger (not by much) i can walk from one end of town to the other in less than ten minues. Plus the only activity to do (during the summer)
is swimmingin the lake or the river plus the bowling ally.
crime is non existant.
i assume the job has something to do with the oil feild.
their are a couple of theaters in roosevelt and a bowling ally.
depending on where you are coming from the tempraters are extremly cold during the winter (in the negatives at night).

Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,529 times
Default I don't know

If you're looking for a place with fun and entertainment then Duchesne nor any of its surrounding 'cities' offer either of the above.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:57 AM

396 posts, read 1,275,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimikay View Post
If you're looking for a place with fun and entertainment then Duchesne nor any of its surrounding 'cities' offer either of the above.
Unless you consider outdoor entertainment fun.

But really, even me, the snow, cold, and fog lover, would see too much of all of that in winter. That area routinely drops below 0 in winter, can stay below freezing for weeks at a time, and frequently sees thick fog. It doesn't snow as much as it does over by the Great Salt Lake, but winters there sound, at best, not very fun. There's no ski resorts over in that area, either. The closest ones would be at Park City. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could live through a winter there. Not necessarily because of the climate, but because even for outdoors lovers there would be very little to do. Once you eliminate outdoors, there's, well, pretty much nothing to do over there.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 27,954 times
Default North of Vernal

Hi, we visit the Roosevelt area a lot because our son is a private school there Cedar Ridge. We love the outdoors and there are a couple of areas just north of Vernal that are beautiful. Also North of Roosevelt are beautiful. but I agree, atleast if you live in Vernal you can go out to eat or to a movie once in awhile.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 31,594 times
Default Relocatong too....

We too may be moving to Vernal or surrounding areas from Idaho. My problem......i have horses/cows, dogs, cats, etc. Most of which i'm not willing to give up. Which town would best suit me finding a place to rent where i can keep horses? OR are there any Horse boarding facilities in any of these towns? I have 3 kids. All involved in 4-H. How are the 4-H groups around that area? I'm nervous, even though we are used to moving (Hubby is ex-military). I won't go without my horses! ANY info greatly appreciated. Vernal sounds/looks better than Rock Springs, Wy. ~Kaci

Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 AM

5 posts, read 20,047 times
I live here... and as SergeantL mentioned people will say 'Are you nuts?' I came here with my family you know hoping for a whole different experience (Father landed an oil job) as I enjoy travel. Well yeah there is nothing... Closest mall is 2 hours away in either provo or park city. Although I expect vernal to have a mall soon. They way it looks it may soon be the third biggest city in Utah. (As I've heard). The housing market is price gouging like nuts here (If you didn't see that report on 20/20 a month or so back) Houses of about 129,000 to 150,000 are junk (Yeah I went house hunting with my family) We managed to find ONE nice house in Roosevelt that needed some work but wasn't a hole in the wall. You want a really nice big house you dish out the bucks and either buy one in a development or.... have a modular built. Also if you're looking for a vehicle used at that you've come to the wrong place. Everything here is pretty much all brand new 2007's 2008's. You're LUCKY if you find something used and not beaten to hell. Also if anyone in your family wants a job they shouldn't have trouble finding one. If you don't find one you're not looking hard enough. Since I've been here I've had 4 jobs offered to me (I took a really good paying one that I wouldn't have a chance at anywhere else) Everyone is hiring around here. Also another tip if you want fast food here it's not fast. It's slow. So no offense but are you Nuts? Oh and I'm going back to the east coast in 10 months. I can't wait.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 11,034 times
You know I just moved here from Missouri, Yes the oil field brought me here. I really do love it here as I love the outdoors, although the rent is rediculous and I hope some of these people know what they have to look forward to one day by being greedy. This town really is not that bad, not much to do but work and sleep but vernal is only 30 min. away from here in roosevelt, and Salt lake is only 2 1/2 hours away. It seems that everyting I read has been negative, hey if you really do not like the area do what I did in Missouri and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah