Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM

203 posts, read 721,337 times

Advertisements

Solitude is a great place to ski. Snowbird is better if you are experienced and ready for it. From my experience, even having been skiing since i was in elementary school, it's good to take it easy the first time or two out in the season. Even being experienced, yet a little rusty, (sometimes i didnt get up the hell at all for a season or two) i always thought it was good to go to Solitude before going up to the bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 PM

515 posts, read 2,325,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuturbo View Post
Solitude is a great place to ski. Snowbird is better if you are experienced and ready for it. From my experience, even having been skiing since i was in elementary school, it's good to take it easy the first time or two out in the season. Even being experienced, yet a little rusty, (sometimes i didnt get up the hell at all for a season or two) i always thought it was good to go to Solitude before going up to the bird.
I started my season at Snowbird on Monday and it kicked my butt! Maybe I should have gone to Solitude instead... For one thing, the elevation was killing me - I felt like I could not catch my breath. When you take the tram up it's loooong way down!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM

25 posts, read 101,004 times
Neither of those two resorts are noted for beginner runs, a better and cheaper choice would be Breighten or Solitude or even Sundance.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,062,649 times
yup...ALTA was horrible for her....not even a beginner bunny hill. Too flat of terrain at the "tow rope" to be able to really practice anything. I wasted 190.00 dollars for a 2 hour private lesson at Alta and she learned NOTHING.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 PM

200 posts, read 980,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
yup...ALTA was horrible for her....not even a beginner bunny hill. Too flat of terrain at the "tow rope" to be able to really practice anything. I wasted 190.00 dollars for a 2 hour private lesson at Alta and she learned NOTHING.
Hey...I recommended Snowbird and the Canyons...LOL You got to try The Canyons...(I feel like they need to pay me because I keep recommending them).

That sucks about the lessons. Do you ski? If you do, you should just teach her. Also, doesn't hurt for her to fall down a couple times, that's the way most people learn (including my mother and brother, one fell into a tree a couple times, one fell a dozen times, but they learned from it). My 2nd day sking, my neighbor took me up on a black diamond...needless to say, I learned pretty quick when I felt my life depended on it...

Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,723 times
Angry 1st time skier

Snowbird sucks;

Instructors have attitudes; They didn't seem to care if were learned the basics or had a good time.

The Lesson did nothing to prepare us to try a beginning run.

beginning runs are to narrow for novices.

Do not recommend for beginners.

Overall the consensus of our group was a pretty negative experience.

Most of the group have not tried skiing again!

I will try at another resort.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 PM

25 posts, read 101,004 times
Default ski lessons

It's not a good idea to attempt to teach someone you are close to (wife child ect.) If you are beginning, take lessons and learn the basics from a professional or you will never feel comfortable skiing.
A couple of other resorts that are very good beginner and intermediate resorts, Wolf Mountain and Powder Mountain, where I ski patrolled, offer some excellent instruction. They are located east of Ogden.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM

7 posts, read 13,517 times
Brighton -- it's cheaper and the instruction is excellent -- and there are more green and beginner runs -- plus plenty of blue, black, dbl black for others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: