Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 40,765 times

Advertisements

I think there are 3 elementary schools there: Trailside, McPolin and Parley's Park...are they all good or is one better than the others? We are looking to move there this summer and my daughter will be starting 1st grade.
Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvegas View Post
I think there are 3 elementary schools there: Trailside, McPolin and Parley's Park...are they all good or is one better than the others? We are looking to move there this summer and my daughter will be starting 1st grade.
Thanks for the help!!
Actually you missed the one that is the most reputable, Jeremy Ranch. However the Park City District is very well regarded from what an agent friend of mine has told me. She has lived there for over 20 years and all three of her kids went up through Trailside, Middle School, and Park City High School. Park City High School is generally regarded as the best in the state. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the schools in Park City Schools District (Just make sure you are in it). Much of Park City is in North and South Summit, which are not very good.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
You have to attend the elementary school that is in your "zone"-we lived in Thaynes Canyon and the first several years we were zoned McPolin then that all changed to Parleys Park. There has been alot of lines redrawn due to overcrowding at Jeremy Ranch elementary-so do not assume that if you live out by Pinebrook, Summit Park etc that JRE will be "your" school.
I disagree with Traveller about the other schools in North and South Summit County and about PC High being better than other high schools in the state-I know lots of kids that have gone two those schools and had just as good of an education as PCSD.
Don't forget that Utah spends the least per student so there are tons of fundraisers and parent volunteering in all the districts. The teachers manage to do alot with a little bit of money across the board!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) for ratings which compare schools within a state.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You can check schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link) for ratings which compare schools within a state.
I have found KSL's rankings to be more accurate, particularly those addressing the high school level.

ksl.com - KSL Schools - Map View

Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibarbie View Post
You have to attend the elementary school that is in your "zone"-we lived in Thaynes Canyon and the first several years we were zoned McPolin then that all changed to Parleys Park. There has been alot of lines redrawn due to overcrowding at Jeremy Ranch elementary-so do not assume that if you live out by Pinebrook, Summit Park etc that JRE will be "your" school.
I disagree with Traveller about the other schools in North and South Summit County and about PC High being better than other high schools in the state-I know lots of kids that have gone two those schools and had just as good of an education as PCSD.
Don't forget that Utah spends the least per student so there are tons of fundraisers and parent volunteering in all the districts. The teachers manage to do alot with a little bit of money across the board!
Thanks for the info Skibarbie! Do you have kids who went to McPolin and Parleys Park? If so, what did you think of these schools?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
We chose private school until it became a poor value-attended Parleys Park starting in the 4th grade. We had a great experience in 4th and then things went South in 5th. Our main problem was his teacher was out on maternity leave after the 2nd week and there was a revolving door of substitutes. Ecker Hill was not a great experience either but Treasure Middle School was pretty good.
I was amazed at the amount of racist attitudes that we encountered-especially when the first big split up started to occur at McPolin. DM me if you want more info on that.
We have since moved to Salt Lake and he attends Skyline High-he seems to really enjoy this school, way more challenging, lots of caring teachers, more rigorous curriculum and nicer kids too..

Old 04-21-2010, 05:22 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
My sister taught in both of the Park City middle schools for years. I'll ask her if she formed any opinions of the elementary schools in that period of time.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Actually you missed the one that is the most reputable, Jeremy Ranch. However the Park City District is very well regarded from what an agent friend of mine has told me. She has lived there for over 20 years and all three of her kids went up through Trailside, Middle School, and Park City High School. Park City High School is generally regarded as the best in the state. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the schools in Park City Schools District (Just make sure you are in it). Much of Park City is in North and South Summit, which are not very good.

What makes you say that Jeremy Ranch is better?

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Alex,

I did talk to my sister and got some information you may find to be very insightful. (As I mentioned before, my sister taught at both Treasure Mountain and Ecker Hill Middle Schools for about 25 years. She has taught her students' children! She is now in administration with the Park City School District.) When I asked her the question, she launched right into an answer, and then, not wanting to sound prejudiced (which she definitely is not -- one of her two adopted children is mixed Caucasian/African American) paused to try to come up with an answer that would not offend people. I told her to just give me the answer and let people draw their own conclusions, so she did.

She said that there is considerably less economic and racial diversity at Jeremy Ranch and Trailside than at Parley's Park and McPolin. Because there are a lot more "rich white kids" and not so many "poor brown kids" at Jeremy Ranch and Trailside, these schools consistently score higher when ranked on testing results, etc. So, if that's a factor people want to give a lot of weight to, there's your answer. Most of the teachers at Jeremy Ranch are veterans, men and women who have been teaching for years. This may be considered a plus or not, depending upon how how want to look at it. She said that they are not really all that progressive; they're very "old school." Trailside has younger, less experienced teachers, but that they also have a brand new principal, a Cuban woman who apparently beat out a lot of locals to get the job and who has an excellent reputation. In my sister's opinion, though, the better teachers are actually at Parley's Park and McPolin, even though that fact may not be reflected in the test scores. The principal at McPolin is very progressive and is very demanding of the teachers.

That's just one person's opinion, but it's someone who has the background to do more than simply speak in generalities and who has experience teaching the kids who come out of those schools. So anyway, I hope that information helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah