Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 PM

14 posts, read 37,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post

I'm not sure his posts are racist, though. I mean, he doesn't slam "regular" working/middle class Vancouver's Asian population, does he? Looks to me like he is more concerned with few wealthy corrupt Chinese Communist party members who buy properties in Van and who don't even live in Vancouver, although I'm not sure as I don't really follow this thread post for post.
Exactly! The regular, honest Chinese, who live and work here, add so much to Vancouver. It goes without saying. Look no further than our excellent chief constable, Jim Chu. It's only a small section of the Mainland Chinese 'elite' who are spoiling the real estate market in Vancouver for hard working locals, and destroying their home country's economy.

Unfortunately, there aren't any credible sources as to what is going on in Vancouver. You'll have to ask the Canadian government why they don't want to record data on the people buying property around here. Presumably, they want to buoy up house prices and don't care where the money comes from.

All we have is the evidence of our own eyes... anecdotal evidence. Vancouver is the 2nd least affordable city in the entire world. The #1 least affordable is Hong Kong... no prizes for guessing whose money caused that to happen.

Yes, Vancouver is constrained by physical features (water, mountains etc.)... but they've been here all along, and the affordability has only recently nose-dived... around the same time Hong Kong put a 15% tax on foreign ownership (which made Vancouver the next target for Mainland Chinese "investors".

Vancouver real estate: The fog of foreign ownership | Vancouver Sun

Apparently, 99% of visa applications to Canada from Hong Kong.... were launched by Mainland Chinese.

Quelle surprise.

Last edited by British Expat; 02-09-2014 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

218 posts, read 510,101 times
And here goes Switzerland today-- doing the right thing after the right thing like, it seems, almost nobody in the world is able to do these days.

Swiss Vote to Curb Immigration in Referendum - Bloomberg

And the top voted comment:

"Access to talent is one thing, being overrun by the planet's down 'n outs is quite another. What the EU and others do not seem to value is that indigenous populations (in this case the Swiss) have a right to try and preserve their culture. The culture of their forefathers. Most EU countries are forceing their citizens to accept foreign cultures in such numbers as to threaten their own survival. Absolutely criminal!"

I absolutely agree. The western culture seems to be widely brainwashed at this point and caught into spellbinding political correctness while neglecting the needs of local people. It's the work by the "elites", who are, anyway, the citizens of the world. It has nothing to do with well-being of a nation and its people. The culture of post-modern liberalism is a sick culture of weakness and suicide.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
And here goes Switzerland today-- doing the right thing after the right thing like, it seems, almost nobody in the world is able to do these days.

Swiss Vote to Curb Immigration in Referendum - Bloomberg

And the top voted comment:

"Access to talent is one thing, being overrun by the planet's down 'n outs is quite another. What the EU and others do not seem to value is that indigenous populations (in this case the Swiss) have a right to try and preserve their culture. The culture of their forefathers. Most EU countries are forceing their citizens to accept foreign cultures in such numbers as to threaten their own survival. Absolutely criminal!"

I absolutely agree. The western culture seems to be widely brainwashed at this point and caught into spellbinding political correctness while neglecting the needs of local people. It's the work by the "elites", who are, anyway, the citizens of the world. It has nothing to do with well-being of a nation and its people. The culture of post-modern liberalism is a sick culture of weakness and suicide.
Well, you probably don't know or care about how pervasively western culture has eroded into other countries? The clothing, the food, pop culture etc.?

First in the form of direct military conquer, after WII it was more direct instillation through various media outlets such as Voice America (available only to foreign countries), CNN and BBC. And when countries choose not to follow the western ideology or adopt western value, military intervention or economic embargo follow again.

Maybe only culture in western countries is worth preserving?

Plus, I don't see how foreign immigrants destroys local culture - aren't they always the minority? Did you start to eat rice and watch mandarin TV shows after all the Chinese move in? More important, what "culture" did Vancouver have before the Chinese are here?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 AM

14 posts, read 37,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
I absolutely agree. The western culture seems to be widely brainwashed at this point and caught into spellbinding political correctness...
"Spellbinding political correctness" is a very apt description. We have that where I'm from, and have already started sleepwalking into our own unique demographic problems.

Botticelli: if it makes you feel good to attack the West and whip up a bit of self-loathing in the process, then by all means please carry on.

More bad news in today for Vancouverites:

It's not just corruption they have a reputation for. Here is what the Mainland Chinese are getting known for when going on vacation to Hong Kong:

China boy’s public urination peeves Hong Kongers | Free Malaysia Today

...incidentally... the exact same sort of thing as in Richmond shopping mall: Mainland Chinese boy urinates in Richmond Centre garbage can.

In Hong Kong, not only are they utterly powerless to stop the onslaught of corrupt Chinese money from pushing their housing to least affordable in the entire world, they also can't stop the Mainland Chinese from doing this all over their streets.

This is not fake:

Spot the Mainlander | Dictionary of Politically Incorrect Hong Kong Cantonese

Last edited by British Expat; 02-10-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 AM

81 posts, read 154,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To have a sound discussion about property prices you can't just post rants about gangs and groups of people without facts and CREDIBLE sources, otherwise it's just a rant that no one will take seriously.
Well It looks like the Canadian government took it pretty seriously. I never thought I would see the day.

Canada Slams Door on 45K Chinese Millionaires With End of Visa Program - Forbes

British Expat isn't racist. He just pointed out a huge flaw in our immigration system. Obviously he wasn't the only one aware of this issue. Thank you Ottawa.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
Well It looks like the Canadian government took it pretty seriously. I never thought I would see the day.

British Expat isn't racist. He just pointed out a huge flaw in our immigration system. Obviously he wasn't the only one aware of this issue. Thank you Ottawa.
Good news!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:

The close of the program has nothing to do with high housing price in Vancouver.

Many of those "investors" had no intention to live in Canada and it turns out they contributed little to Canadian economy and therefore cancelling the investor category immigration is a sensible change. I am just glad the Canadian immigration policy just keeps moving in the right direction.

However, I doubt it will have any positive impact on real estate prices in Vancouver - if people want to buy houses in Vancouver, they will find ways to. They don't have to be landed immigrants, especially many of those millionaires don't even need a mortgage and any buyer is free to sell to the highest bidder.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:

This will NO impact on housing prices. A lot of the Chinese investors in Vancouver real estate live offshore and hire management companies to manage their properties in Canada.
Just because they can't live here full time means nothing.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This will NO impact on housing prices. A lot of the Chinese investors in Vancouver real estate live offshore and hire management companies to manage their properties in Canada.
Just because they can't live here full time means nothing.
I think a housing price correction in Vancouver would be very positive and can only help the city. Making housing more affordable to the middle class will help the city get better through social and economic means. It will help foster better communities and less animosity, help spur creation of new businesses, increase household spending on other items, better align COL with incomes, and increase the retention/attraction of talent in the city. Skyrocket real estate prices are not good thing for a smaller city trying to develop and instead could hinder real sustainable growth. If someone is going to set up shop in Canada, Vancouver is not a great option. You have to go to Toronto for the most part. I think Vancouver needs to find ways to be more attractive as a serious business hub and specialize in certain things outside of resources, tourism, and a port. I think there's good potential but NY-esqe RE prices act as a barrier.

Last edited by johnathanc; 02-18-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 PM

^
Median price for a home in seattle is $430k, in Vancouver, it is like a million +?
Vancouver's housing price should come down by 50% to be considered reasonable for the city it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver