Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 AM

29 posts, read 57,202 times

Advertisements

We are retired and currently travel back and forth between Northern Ontario and Arizona (about 6mos. in each place). Tiring of the back and forth and are looking for a year round residence. Kind of have it narrowed to mid Vancouver Island (between Qualicum Beach and Comox Valley) or somewhere on the Sunshine Coast. Have done some research and they seem to be very similar (weather, real estate, general cost of living). Would appreciate any insight anyone might have that would assist us in making our decision. We are looking at spending a couple of weeks, next March, to check things out. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 12:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasty View Post
We are retired and currently travel back and forth between Northern Ontario and Arizona (about 6mos. in each place). Tiring of the back and forth and are looking for a year round residence. Kind of have it narrowed to mid Vancouver Island (between Qualicum Beach and Comox Valley) or somewhere on the Sunshine Coast. Have done some research and they seem to be very similar (weather, real estate, general cost of living). Would appreciate any insight anyone might have that would assist us in making our decision. We are looking at spending a couple of weeks, next March, to check things out. Thanks in advance.
Both are beautiful areas. The Sunshine Coast is closer to the City of Vancouver with a 40 minute ferry ride to Horseshoe Bay and then 20 to 30 minutes to downtown Vancouver depending on traffic You can also catch a ferry from Powell River to Comox on Vancouver Island.
In general the coastline is more rugged than the Qualicum Beach area. They do have nice beaches but the beaches near Qualicum seem bigger and more open.
Places like Garden Bay are stunning, but think rocky inlets rather than sandy beaches. This map shows Garden Bay

http://goo.gl/Pkos6m

The pros of the Sunshine Coast are the shorter ferry ride. The cons if you consider these cons are that you can only drive north as far as Powell River and the option of that ferry to Comox. You are much more beholden to the ferry to get to other places.

Qualicum and the Comox Valley have great beaches. It's is also gorgeous but the area is busier with more tourists passing through. Not crazy busy, but more travelled than the Sunshine Coast.

The pros are you have a much wider area to explore by car without taking a ferry. You have Nanaimo near by and Victoria which is about 2 1/2 hours drive from the town of Comox. Also Tofino.
You can also take a ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, Washington State. It's not a BC Ferry and I believe does not accommodate cars.

The cons is that you have a longer Ferry ride from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Both ferry rides are spectacular in clear weather.

There is also the option of flying from and to all these places.

I know people who live in both places, one retired and one not. Both love their chosen homes.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Thank you for your quick response, it is appreciated.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
WestJet flies out of Comox, which might make flying elsewhere a tad easier. You can fly in/out of the Sunshine Coast as well, but you'd likely be flying into the Vancouver Airport's South Terminal before making your way to the main terminal for US-bound flights. If you're a frequent flyer, Comox would probably make sense... yet I personally love the Sunshine Coast. Powell River is extremely affordable, and there's a free spirit artsiness to the whole place which I admire.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks...we will check out Powell River as part of our travels in March...I will also do an online search re pubs, restaurants etc...not looking for real night life however, craft beers and good local food is a must! Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
Craft beers a must? Then the Sunshine Coast might be a better fit! Powell River has Townsite Brewing, and Gibsons is (or has) opened up Persephone Brewery - they grow their own hops! I know from experience that Powell River has its own craft beer culture and that many people who live/work there are founding members of Vancouver Craft Beer Week - a major craft beer event.

Victoria is a better destination on Vancouver Island for craft beer. I don't know much about Comox - flew in there once via seaplane for a meeting. Didn't get a sense of its community, but seemed pleasant enough. I have spent some weekends in Powell River and could see myself moving there... but I'm nowhere near retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver