Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,132 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm planning to move to VCV next year with my wife and my son 4 years old. I'm searching the information for my new life there, hope you guys can help us:
- Can I open bank account without PR card (I only have job offer, after landing I need few months to apply PR card)
- Do I have to pay if sending my son to kinder garden after getting PR card?
- Is it convenience & comfortable to rent house/apartment in Burnaby? Any difference between Burnaby and VCV? As I know, the rent in VCV is very expensive...
- Is it expensive to buy second-hand car there? I have driving licence in my country, how to convert to Canandian licence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 PM

984 posts, read 1,318,936 times
I don't know where you are moving from but get prepared for sticker shock. Rents are very high but nothing in Canada comes even remotely close to Vancouver if you ever want to buy even the smallest of shacks. Vancouver is 50% more expensive for real estate than even Toronto and be prepared for the fact that of Canada's 15 largest Metros, Vancouver has the dubious distinction of overtaking Montreal as the city with the lowest medien income.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,625,801 times
Here is the information regarding opening a bank account in Canada.

Opening a Bank Account

As for paying for kindergarten, I couldn't find anything specific, but this link may help with at least who to contact.

Kindergarten Registration | Vancouver School Board

Housing prices are NOT 50% more than Toronto as mooguy has stated, they do average about 20 percent more expensive overall.
Rents are similar to Toronto, with some stating Vancouver is 2.53 % more expensive and some sites saying Toronto is more expensive. I would suggest you just do a Google search on rentals and housing prices to see.
Burnaby will be slightly cheaper than Vancouver.
Second hand car prices vary greatly, again do a Google search to find what you are looking for. The question is too general to answer.
As for your license you have 90 days to get a B.C. one. This link tells you all you need to know.

ICBC | Moving from another country

Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM

34 posts, read 80,469 times
i enjoy reading Natnasci's replies...straight, honest, helpful, accurate , and no bull****. That's all i want to say...just giving a compliment, nothing more.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,975 times
Hi. I planning to move to Vancouver and go to University there. Im looking for a flat or a house or something nice near the University , Emily Carr University of art + design. Do they have apartments for students there, for families ?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,132 times
Thanks you guys... I will study you links, Natnasci, it's very useful with me, thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver