Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:04 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Don't know what world you live in ...
I know that no one puts a gun to your head and asks you to do min wage jobs in expensive cities. But some people cannot help it or cannot find higher paying jobs. More and more college students cannot find high paying jobs and appear to be stuck with lower wage jobs.
I live in your same world....college students with marketable skills get jobs...and no is not only in tech.....is not my fault that some young people pick majors that have very little chances to get good salaries or a job at all......should I feel sorry for Melinda, Bobby or Ramona graduating in English literature and being stuck serving coffee at Starbucks??

Quote:
It almost seems like you are suggesting a class/income based system where you have to make certain amount of money to live in that city. You expect all lower income people to move out of Seattle and SFO? How is that even possible or sustainable. It makes no sense.
I expect people to use their own brain and common sense.....again if less people flock to SF wages even for menial jobs have to rise...it's math

Quote:
That's because teenagers generally dont have a family to feed and rent to pay. Offer something like this to a 40 year old who has been out of a job and ....
Really?? Try on Saturday morning to offer less than $15 dollar an hour to do some gardening jobs to poor Mexican (mostly) illegal immigrants lining up on the sidewalk at Home Depot....and they will show you a nice fat finger to stick where the sun does not shine.....

Quote:
I just pointed out that you happen to hate the one thing that makes these cities great - liberal ideas and policies. You don't see the irony?
I do not see any irony...I happen to be very liberal on some issues and for personal responsibility on others.....so you can call be libertarian which in a way I am...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your example is poor. Sicily has a population of 5 million. Many more people going back and forth.
Secondly most ferries from the mainland take 8 to 14 hours to reach Sicily. If you get yourself down to the the part of the mainland that is closest to Sicily it's only 30 minutes...but hardly convenient unless you are in the area.

I don't have much sympathy for you and your poor planning in using BC Ferries in the height of tourist season and expecting to get on. You must have had a car, since rarely are foot passengers denied and Pacific Coach just add another bus if they fill up one.

My example is perfect...obviously the most frequent ferry service is where the distance to cover is the smallest (and it is all freeway from the tip of Calabria all the way to the norther border from east to west)..do you expect a ferry ride every 20 minutes between Genoa and Palermo??

Heck even between Bremerton and Seattle there is one night ride (I expect any time now to be accused to be the usual Seattle apologist ) and I could drive around if I wanted to.

I did ride the night service very often.....more often than not there are not many cars but it still runs, in all seasons....the ferry service in the Messina Strait is some sort of "virtual moving road"

I do not need sympathy....I was willing to wait and I did wait...I just wanted a night ride and the absence of it, especially in summer, was a big negative.

Quote:
Saturno loves...well only places he has yet to live it seems. He tells us that all you have to do is move out of one area if you don't like it, it's " market reality ", but in the same breathe bashes the place, Vancouver, because of the " market reality ".
Never lost the habit of twisting my words....do I need to repeat again that I'm VERY content in Seattle except few things?? There are shades of gray in life...

Quote:
I'd move on if I were you. You will never convince them.
Seems I did a very poor job myself in trying to convince you to at least have a peek from another perspective.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
sandman249. Botticelli is one who does not live by what he says. He may go on and on but when it comes down to it, he simply takes all the advantages while damning the system. Medical in Canada for one. He has ranted in past posts how everyone should pay their own way, but for himself he doesn't. I have informed him he can if wanted to, but he still uses the system.

Saturno loves...well only places he has yet to live it seems. He tells us that all you have to do is move out of one area if you don't like it, it's " market reality ", but in the same breathe bashes the place, Vancouver, because of the " market reality ".

I'd move on if I were you. You will never convince them.
ditto. I'm not even a big fan of Vancouver or Canada, but I find some of these peoples' rants just incomprehensible.

Saturno got out of Vancouver years ago, yet still actively engages in daily rants about how much he dislikes the city. Botti trashes the entire Canadian/western society as a whole, yet still made the conscious decision to immigrate to and live in Canada to this day. Go figure.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Saturno got out of Vancouver years ago, yet still actively engages in daily rants about how much he dislikes the city.
I still live in the northwest and I go up for a visit regularly and have friends in Van.....please point out where I said that I dislike the city, I would love to know....

Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
What kind of drugs are you on? Wages in Vancouver are **** and food prices are ridiculously high - and I am from Copenhagen, Denmark, one of the most expensive cities in Europe. I have lived in Vancouver now for 3.5 years, never have I worked as much and had as little as I do here. It is pretty though... But it is exactly as expensive as portrayed in the media. I am always broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver