Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM

25 posts, read 38,906 times

Advertisements

Just looking for opinions on whether it's worth importing my 15-year old car from the USA into Vancouver.

Pros: Easier to visit places off the SkyTrain line. Having to take the bus and walk takes a lot longer. It would be possible to explore the surrounding area. One definite pro- being able to make pickups of Amazon Subscribe&Save orders shipped to Blaine or Point Roberts. Although I'd really only need to do that every 3 months or so.

Cons: I've been here a month and haven't needed one. I'm living and working Downtown. Insurance would be $1500/year and it sounds like an oil change is $50. If I move somewhere without a parking space, I'd have to find one for $100/month. Paperwork, and I'm assuming I'd have to do the export/import process myself, as opposed to having a family member drive the car over the border.

Slightly off-topic, but I can't help noticing that Canadians seem a little more, shall we say, aggressive than US drivers when you're trying to cross the crosswalk. Maybe they know I'm an American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM

Wow, this forum is dead! Anyway, decided not to import my car for now.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylo View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I can't help noticing that Canadians seem a little more, shall we say, aggressive than US drivers when you're trying to cross the crosswalk. Maybe they know I'm an American?
That depends on where you came from in America.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 AM

37 posts, read 60,247 times
Importing a 15 year old car is less complicated than one 14 years old or newer. For one you won't need to retro-fit daytime running lights. I had this done and it cost me around 125 USD.
I know there are other things that are not required for 15 year or older cars. Find out more here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles - RIV Exemptions

Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks, but this post is several months old. It just didn't seem worth the hassle and expense. A related issue is that I can't get the California DMV to send proof that I've been driving for several years, and in lieu of that, I would have to give up my California license when I get a BC license.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 AM

If you're moving to Canada, don't you need a Canadian drivers license? Are you saying you wanted two licenses? I have two passports but two licenses seems unnecessary.
I know dealing with the DMV is a pain but how difficult is it to get your driving record? BTW in Canada they call it a "drivers abstract".
I haven't moved to Canada yet but I still feel importing my car is less expensive than buying a similar vehicle to the one I have(and love). Full of red tape and fees but still less expensive.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default You'll need a BC license

Quote:
Originally Posted by dactylo View Post
Thanks, but this post is several months old. It just didn't seem worth the hassle and expense. A related issue is that I can't get the California DMV to send proof that I've been driving for several years, and in lieu of that, I would have to give up my California license when I get a BC license.
You don't get pulled over at random up here the way they do down south but when I came up I packed my Calif. license with my Calif. truck; I also drove prof. so I had to have a BC license.

The license dept. will expect you to turn in your valid proof of ability to drive i.e. your Calif. license, if you're now a resident of BC.

You're not going to be driving a BC vehicle with your Calif. license for very long without being cited, esp. if you own the vehicle.

Your Calif. DMV is a matter of record. What's the issue here? I simply had ICBC chit chat with Calif. for the transfer.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
You don't get pulled over at random up here the way they do down south but when I came up I packed my Calif. license with my Calif. truck; I also drove prof. so I had to have a BC license.

The license dept. will expect you to turn in your valid proof of ability to drive i.e. your Calif. license, if you're now a resident of BC.

You're not going to be driving a BC vehicle with your Calif. license for very long without being cited, esp. if you own the vehicle.

Your Calif. DMV is a matter of record. What's the issue here? I simply had ICBC chit chat with Calif. for the transfer.
The driver record they sent me is just a copy of my driver license info. It says when my license was issued (i.e. renewed, a year ago) and the ICBC requires proof of driving for 2 years. Anyway, thanks to this thread, I stopped by ICBC again this morning and they are going to try calling the California DMV.

When I visited ICBC a few months ago, with the same problem, I brought all of my expired/invalidated licenses from years past and they wanted to take them all. Which I'd rather not surrender, due to sentimental reasons. I understand I will have to surrender the latest.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
If you're moving to Canada, don't you need a Canadian drivers license? Are you saying you wanted two licenses? I have two passports but two licenses seems unnecessary.
I know dealing with the DMV is a pain but how difficult is it to get your driving record? BTW in Canada they call it a "drivers abstract".
I haven't moved to Canada yet but I still feel importing my car is less expensive than buying a similar vehicle to the one I have(and love). Full of red tape and fees but still less expensive.
You have 90 days as a new resident and 6 months as a visitor to use your existing license. At least for the US.

I understand wanting to have your own car. In my case, as I mentioned, I haven't really needed one. I live and work downtown.

If you weren't attached to your car, but still wanted to drive, you could sign up for one of the 3 major car-sharing services: Car2Go, Modo, Zipcar. I've actually joined Car2Go and Modo, but haven't driven yet, since I haven't gotten around to resolving my license issue (see above).

Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 AM

Yeah, international bureaucracies communicating with each other sounds like it could take awhile.
Back to importing vehicles, I spent a few minutes on the phone with the RIV going over the procedures involved. They said it was pretty straight forward, but after all it's their job and they deal with it on a daily basis. I know exporting my car from the US side is relatively easy, as it appears to only involve one form and around 40 USD to process it.
I'd like to hear from someone on the forum who's been through it before to reassure myself and others that it's not such a daunting task. Also any pitfalls that may have occurred. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver