Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 446 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

First time poster on this forum, I’ve got a question that I’ve been to ask for a while now, how is the job prospect for Civil Engineers at the moment in Vancouver? Specifically for Structural Engineers, how are the local design firms/consultancies doing currently?

Really at a crossroad in my life at the moment and need to decide whether to move over there or not. The cost of moving and accommodation won’t be an issue so the decision is based purely on the job prospect. Been there earlier this year and really love the city!

I just finished my Civil Engineering degree and got an offer from a small/medium sized property development and construction company, mainly focusing on residential projects. Thought this could be a great opportunity to move over to the city.

However there’s a chance that I may switch over to structural design later on in life, in case I find construction management to be unsuitable for me, since construction can be a really stressful industry. So I’m hoping to leave an avenue open in case I wish to switch career later.

So how is the structural engineering market doing at the moment, and what’s the future prospect of this sector? Base on BC’s labour market outlook publication, it seems Civil Engineers is among the list for top opportunity occupations:

https://www.workbc.ca/WorkBC/media/W...014-2024_C.pdf

However the information given is too general since it talks about Civil Enginners as a whole rather than the specific sub-disciplines: structural/transport/water/geotech/construction. I’m also only interested in the area within the Greater Vancouver Region. Also not sure if the figure given is applicable to the graduate level or those with little experience on hand.

Therefore I wish to inquire, how is the job prospect for structural engineers within the Greater Vancouver Region? And also how easy would it be to switch from construction management to structural design work?

Assume I’ve got a few years of experience at a local property development/construction company (but none for design), how hard would it be to find a job at a structural design/consultancy company in Vancouver? Sincerely appreciate any kind of advices, thank you!

Best Regards,
Johnson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver