Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
is hard to tell in statistics how many rich people are there because these people's wealth is measure by their existing asset, not income. If you find numbers about the distribution about Vancouverites income, that doesn't mean much simply because many don't have to work for a living. You can deny it all you want, but if you walk in many areas of Vancouver, you see an unusually high percentage of luxury cars vs. say more blue-collar working city like Toronto.

WHAT !?

LOL been in vancouver 11 years, now this is just total bunk
How do "regular" people, if there are any, make their living and stay afloat in Vancouver? How does this city function with only rich people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
How do "regular" people, if there are any, make their living and stay afloat in Vancouver? How does this city function with only rich people?

Drugs and retirement money. people that have made their money elsewhere. I've sold two condos here both to foreigners it I became a millionaire because of it.Locals never even looked at my condos

vancouver is filled with rich foriegners from asia, the 25 year old asian kid with a Lambo isnt a CEO or a movie producer living in vancouver I can assure of that. Or the guy with the Lotus covered in tattoos with cell phone going off in the gym isnt a UBC graduate

what considered high end here is usually nothing compared to the truely rich cities everything here is 5th rate pretending to be first

The biggest Industries here are real estate and drugs .What amazes about city data is how little the people on here know about the places they comment on. the vancouver threads are a prime exmaple of this

they spend too much time commenting on what they think a city is like rather than what it is like.

Im done with this site it never helps

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Drugs and retirement money. people that have made their money elsewhere.The biggest Industries here are real estate and drugs ...
I see. Good to know what makes Vancouver tick. I must admit I was too naive to think third largest Canadian city may have "real" industries to somehow support financially the part of population who are not into drugs. You opened my eyes.

Quote:
What amazes about city data is how little the people on here know about the places they comment on. the vancouver threads are a prime exmaple of this
I agree with this one. I think I'm spending too much time on this forum. Toronto is too run down and too expensive and therefore unlivable, Vancouver is on drugs and for rich only, Montreal...

Well, at least the OP knows better now.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
If you're talking about the Mercer survey of world's most liveable cities, that survey is done by executives and senior staff of international companies & govt ministries, not by the average joe. People put way too much bearing on that survey, particularly governments who like to boast about them as if they had anything to do with the results!

When I lived in Vancouver, I knew one of the Mercer survey respondants and he said he rated Vancouver pretty highly. But then living in Vancouver would be much easier if, like him, you got your company to pay for your move there, subsidise the high rent, give you a company car, cost of living allowance, free flights for him and his family back to the home office every year, etc. A lot of newcomer stress eliminated right off the bat and therefore, a totally different view of a city and its liveability! Because of that, he could rent a nice house in West Van with a view and afford a lot more luxuries than the average new immigrant. So I wouldn't go looking at that Mercer survey and base my move on that. Besides, Vienna is at the top this year, so if you worry about global rankings, you'd be moving just about every year.

Look for the place where you'll have the best chance of finding work, which might not be Vancouver at this time. You can always move there later once established and you've got that Canadian experience. Vancouver's very nice but then so's Canada overall. Don't get too starry-eyed by picture postcard views of a place. I live in what a lot of people say is a lovely city - Perth. Yet I can't wait to get out of here, back to Canada!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I live in what a lot of people say is a lovely city - Perth. Yet I can't wait to get out of here, back to Canada!
You wanted to say, back to Vancouver, right?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
You wanted to say, back to Vancouver, right?
Actually, no .... as lovely as Vancouver is, I think I got to live there when it was at its very best, for me, so I'd rather enjoy those great memories. Besides, we want to avoid a place where too large a chunk of our money goes towards the roof over our heads .

We're more inclined towards the eastern part of Canada this time anyway. It will be a good base from which we could travel to places we'd love to see. No idea yet, but we'll do a bit of traveling first, to find our little spot in the Great White North

Old 05-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I see. Good to know what makes Vancouver tick. I must admit I was too naive to think third largest Canadian city may have "real" industries to somehow support financially the part of population who are not into drugs. You opened my eyes.

I agree with this one. I think I'm spending too much time on this forum. Toronto is too run down and too expensive and therefore unlivable, Vancouver is on drugs and for rich only, Montreal...

vancouver is very run down, kingsway, burnaby in general, east van the DTES surrey new west whalley, granville strip are all terrible areas.vancouver isnt more blue collar than Toronto cause its all trades here

people seem to think vancouver is only the nice parts, for example they'll say LA is disgusting yet for get about beverly hills west hollywood santa monica, malibu, yet think LA is only compton and therefore LA sucks

vancouver isnt for rich people is just over priced there's a big difference there. Rich people are in Monte carlo New York, Beverly hills, dubai and other places

in reality there are rich people all over the world in every city you find. vancouver is over priced mediocrity with a huge marketing capaign

the pinacle of vancouver culture is 1855 burrard street- never forget that

Old 05-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:

everything I say on here is correct, not just some of my points. Im one of the few thats been in vancouver and have been so for 11 years

Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
vancouver is very run down, kingsway, burnaby in general, east van the DTES surrey new west whalley, granville strip are all terrible areas.vancouver isnt more blue collar than Toronto cause its all trades here

people seem to think vancouver is only the nice parts, for example they'll say LA is disgusting yet for get about beverly hills west hollywood santa monica, malibu, yet think LA is only compton and therefore LA sucks

vancouver isnt for rich people is just over priced there's a big difference there. Rich people are in Monte carlo New York, Beverly hills, dubai and other places

in reality there are rich people all over the world in every city you find. vancouver is over priced mediocrity with a huge marketing capaign

the pinacle of vancouver culture is 1855 burrard street- never forget that
If Vancouver is such a bad place to live, why don't you just try and move to a place you like?

Old 05-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
If Vancouver is such a bad place to live, why don't you just try and move to a place you like?

its not a bad place its overrated place, Im moving in 4 months, I like to inject some reality in these threads people on here act like vancouver has no flaws. Someone needs to keep the reality balance from time to time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver