Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,132 times

Advertisements

I make a lot of vegetarian meals but I find many recipes call for something so weird or so out of the ordinary that I never have it in the house or will never use that item again.

I tend to use real food. No processed fake proteins or crumbles. If it tastes like meat my husband doesn't want them.

After checking out so many websites I have to say I am frustrated when the recipes require oddities, esoteric ingredients, and so on.

I think I have a handful of decent meals. I've been on the PETA site today but I don't want vegan ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
I know what you mean about unusual ingredients...for instance, I love Indian food but for me to make it at home...just calls for so many spices and etc, so many different ingredients, that I just enjoy it at an Indian restaurant instead of trying it at home...well except for curries.

I eat vegetarian and this site I love for recipes:

allrecipes.com

Check it out!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,132 times
Thanks! I use that site all the time!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 AM

261 posts, read 497,544 times
Some Indian dishes can become a little complex as for the herbs and spices. But they have mastered the art of eating well in a vegetarian lifestyle. Nobody needs meat for flavouring --it's just a matter of using the right seasonings.

But I digress. Sorry.

One ingredient I have in my collection that I've used only once in a vegetarian Mousakka recipe is Roasted Saigon Cinnamon. I make Mousakka frequently, but this recipe called for this type of cinnamon and let's just say, that's the only time the mousakka was not finished.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
Some Indian dishes can become a little complex as for the herbs and spices. But they have mastered the art of eating well in a vegetarian lifestyle. Nobody needs meat for flavouring --it's just a matter of using the right seasonings.

But I digress. Sorry.

One ingredient I have in my collection that I've used only once in a vegetarian Mousakka recipe is Roasted Saigon Cinnamon. I make Mousakka frequently, but this recipe called for this type of cinnamon and let's just say, that's the only time the mousakka was not finished.

I bought roasted Saigon Cinnamon and used it once. It's been on the top shelf in my spice cabinet ever since.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I bought roasted Saigon Cinnamon and used it once. It's been on the top shelf in my spice cabinet ever since.
funny! Its name sounds so exotic and its flavor so unique kind of like an amplified cinnamon, which can overpower just about anything you put it on.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Garlic Olive Oil. Yeuukkkk!
Don't do it. Instead use garlic.....and olive oil ..!!!
I don't know how they mess up that particular combination but they do. Somehow tastes disgusting.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Garlic Olive Oil. Yeuukkkk!
Don't do it. Instead use garlic.....and olive oil ..!!!
I don't know how they mess up that particular combination but they do. Somehow tastes disgusting.
have to agree. Not a fan of infused olive oils. I prefer to add them separately. Another thing I've discovered goes well with olive oil and minced garlic is black olives.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

349 posts, read 616,508 times
You can always substitute. The internet is a beautiful thing... just type in "xxxxxx substitute" and you'll find something.

That being said, there's very little in terms of vegetarian recipes that I won't use again, or couldn't find an alternate use for, or couldn't put in the freezer.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
I'm not a strict vegetarian so most of the time - if we're having meat, we're having real meat. But I have bought the fae protein crumbles in th past - won't do again.

I have trouble using a full jar of capers..

I love Indian spices, I was lucky enough to have an Indian friend who cooks alot and could split or borrow spices with her. (Sadly we moved away).

I'm a bit of a spice freak... comes from growing up in the Midwest. I was just home and peeked at mom's spices again - yep, salt, pepper, cinnamon, garlic salt and of course, SeasonSalt. I've got a three shelf unit in the kitchen for all my spices, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food