Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

I got 2 large containers of McCormick's Bacon Bits (made from soy, etc.) for free at a food bank a while ago. I've only ever used them on baked potatoes or in salad.

Can I cook with these? I'm wondering in particular if they would be good in a quiche with spinach.

Anyone ever cook with them in something like this? Other than just sprinkling them on something?

I'd hate to ruin a whole quiche, if they will turn weird and mushy or something.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
If you're thinking of using them in something like pasta salad, why don't you try mixing some with a little sour cream or mayo and see if they get odd and soggy. I think they would, but it would be an easy thing to test.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I know I have, but it's been so long since I've used them that I don't remember what happens when they absorb moisture, other than their coloring bleeds onto nearby foods.

On the other hand, if you don't want to cook with them, they won't go bad for years!

You could try putting them on one small area of the quiche, just to see what happens; that way you won't ruin the whole pie, and you can pick the bits out of the one piece.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Good ideas, thank you both!

Yeah, my sense is that they would get soggy. Darn. Well, they were really good in my fresh spinach salad tonight anyway. It's a good thing they will last forever

Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
They get soggy, even in a salad if you look at the bottom of the salad bowl. If you're making a quiche though, there's no reason why you should have to use bacon OR bacon analogue. I'm assuming you're okay with eggs and aren't vegan. So then the obvious answer for you, is a combination of spinach, onion, and a mix of gruyere and swiss. Just make sure to dry the spinach thoroughly after you rinse it or the quiche will fall in the oven.

*Bacos and soy sauce are the only soy-based products I've ever actually liked - I used to eat the bacos right out of the jar when I was a kid.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:58 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,888 times
The color bleeds and they get soggy. You could do a small experiment by cooking an egg inside a greased muffin pan and putting the bits in to see how they change and if you like it.

Otherwise, baked potatoes and salads are great as you already know. You can also try:
- Sprinkle them on cooked green veggies - try some sauteed green beans and mushrooms, or on top of roasted asparagus.
- Sprinkle on top of sauteed cabbage
- Try it as a popcorn topping
- On top of deviled eggs (assuming you're not vegan)
- Garnish some soup at the last minute - a nice creamy/cheesy soup would pair well
- Top some scrambled eggs
- Top some mac and cheese
- Loaded french fries
- Loaded nachos

Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,948 times
I've tried them, and they suck. If they called them something else (no suggestions here), maybe they would meet expectations more.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They get soggy, even in a salad if you look at the bottom of the salad bowl. If you're making a quiche though, there's no reason why you should have to use bacon OR bacon analogue. I'm assuming you're okay with eggs and aren't vegan. So then the obvious answer for you, is a combination of spinach, onion, and a mix of gruyere and swiss. Just make sure to dry the spinach thoroughly after you rinse it or the quiche will fall in the oven.

*Bacos and soy sauce are the only soy-based products I've ever actually liked - I used to eat the bacos right out of the jar when I was a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
The color bleeds and they get soggy. You could do a small experiment by cooking an egg inside a greased muffin pan and putting the bits in to see how they change and if you like it.

Otherwise, baked potatoes and salads are great as you already know. You can also try:
- Sprinkle them on cooked green veggies - try some sauteed green beans and mushrooms, or on top of roasted asparagus.
- Sprinkle on top of sauteed cabbage
- Try it as a popcorn topping
- On top of deviled eggs (assuming you're not vegan)
- Garnish some soup at the last minute - a nice creamy/cheesy soup would pair well
- Top some scrambled eggs
- Top some mac and cheese
- Loaded french fries
- Loaded nachos
Great tips and suggestions, thank you! I just steamed up and froze a bunch of spinach someone gave me. Your suggestion to put some bacon bits on the cooked spinach sounds really good! I like all the ideas, thank you!

Oh, and I must come clean, I'm not vegetarian, though I might as well be, as I can rarely afford meat. But, I figured you all might know this answer best on this forum. And yes, I eat a lot of eggs, as they are affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I've tried them, and they suck. If they called them something else (no suggestions here), maybe they would meet expectations more.
Ha ha. Like Mystery Salty Bits?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ha ha. Like Mystery Salty Bits?
Yeah, something like that.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
We have used smoke flavored textured soy (bacon bits) for years.
There are many brands with many different flavors and ingredients.
We buy them by the pound on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food