Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see Grey's Anatomy last night? Even though they put the disclaimer at the beginning of the show that no animals were actually hurt in filming the episode, I thought it was extremely upsetting. As they intended it to be.

At least on the show, Izzie walked out in protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
No, What happened? What was on there?

I don't watch any one show but sometimes just have the tv on just cause, but it wasn't on for this show. Now that you mention it though, I remember hearing the phrase. "No animal was hurt..." but I was then flippin stations.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
No, What happened? What was on there?
It was a ghastly depiction of using animals (pigs) for medical training. The story line had Izzie walking out in protest but the other residents and interns stayed and did medical procedures on pigs. The pigs were stabbed in order to teach the doctors in training how to do trauma surgery.

The pigs were unconscious but it was still completely jarring and awful.

Izzie's good argument was that technology has advanced to the point where there is no need to use animals for this type of training. She gave an impassioned and articulate speech in that vein. I normally don't love her character but I like her more now.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
Ok, Well, I don't know any characters but that is ok, don't need to here.

That is awful that they showed this and of course I would not wnat to have seen this, as it affects me emotionally...
But, This Might be good for people that do not know anything on how "we" treat animals for science/medical purposes.

Believe me, I am on the same lines as you Topaz.

Maybe some good will come of this and one more person will realize that we don't need to do these things to animals and treat them this way, there are options.

I feel so bad that I participated in school (high school and college) classes that dissected animals. It really makes me sick to even think about this. Maybe, even,... one less child will participate in this process and protest too as Izzie did...
I know that my 13yr old niece will Not be involved. She has been veggie for about well a good 2 yrs and she is very much into animal welfare.

Anyway, every time too they, the media, shows horrible sights of factory farm animal Mis treatment I change the channel, but there are those who may watch, and not know the horrors that exist and change their lifestyle, quite suddenly. At least that I hope that this is the case, at least of a few people out there, that it may hit their hearts too as it has with us.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
I know this is a touchy subject, I understand your views/feelings, and I'll try to be as compassionate as I can. This is just my opinion, please don't take it the wrong way. I did not see the show, btw.

How many people are saved by the death of one pig? Nobody really knows, but one animal can teach many if not hundreds of people how to treat people who are in an emergency. Who is to say that the pig/animal did not want to die for medical research? We won't know till pigs/animals can talk. Whose to say it won't help other pigs/animals?

I signed my organ donor card, is it wrong for doctors to use parts of me to help someone else, or for research?

As for factory farms, people don't tape the good that happens everyday. They only tape the wrong that happens, on rare occasions. I've seen first hand what some vegetarians and some PETA members have done. I've seen vids of it also. I choose not to base my opinion off of the "radical" few, but of the group as a whole. It's a matter of what you choose to believe, and what you choose to disregard that forms your opinion.

If you choose to believe that all factory farms are "wrong", well then YOU are wrong! Just a joke, only a joke.

Just some things to think about, once again.....post'n w/a smile!

Happy Halloween!
capt.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
1. How many people are saved by the death of one pig? Nobody really knows, but one animal can teach many if not hundreds of people how to treat people who are in an emergency.

2. Who is to say that the pig/animal did not want to die for medical research? We won't know till pigs/animals can talk. Whose to say it won't help other pigs/animals?

3. I signed my organ donor card, is it wrong for doctors to use parts of me to help someone else, or for research?

4. As for factory farms, people don't tape the good that happens everyday. They only tape the wrong that happens, on rare occasions. I've seen first hand what some vegetarians and some PETA members have done. I've seen vids of it also. I choose not to base my opinion off of the "radical" few, but of the group as a whole. It's a matter of what you choose to believe, and what you choose to disregard that forms your opinion.

Happy Halloween!
capt.

1. That argument doesn't hold much water these days since we already know much about the human body. By the way, the first real lessons on human anatomy came when Leonardo Da Vinci (a vegetarian) dissected human cadavers, not animal ones.

2. Come on...I know you're not serious.

3. Good on you. The difference is that you had a choice and you won't be killed for the purpose of being packaged as a school dissection set.

4. I'd have zero problems with factory farms if they treated the animals humanely, let them roam free, and did not sell them to slaughter or kill them. Fix those things and I'm on your side!

Happy Halloween,

XP

Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
1. That argument doesn't hold much water these days since we already know much about the human body. By the way, the first real lessons on human anatomy came when Leonardo Da Vinci (a vegetarian) dissected human cadavers, not animal ones.

2. Come on...I know you're not serious.

3. Good on you. The difference is that you had a choice and you won't be killed for the purpose of being packaged as a school dissection set.

4. I'd have zero problems with factory farms if they treated the animals humanely, let them roam free, and did not sell them to slaughter or kill them. Fix those things and I'm on your side!

Happy Halloween,

XP
1. Yes, and they still use human cadavers. Are you implying that we should use humans as opposed to pigs for both human and animal research? Research that could save human lives?

2. I am serious, to a point. We use ourselves for research, why shouldn't they? I see it as sustaining that species.

3. True, but many animals are used that have died or will die soon.(As I've been told by a HS biology teacher....which isn't the best source, I'll give you that.)

4. Roaming free. Many do, yet in a pen. When livestock roam free out here, they starve to death, die due to lack of water, freeze to death, die due to excessive heat, or are killed by predators.

You can't put animals on the same level as humans. I wish some humans were treated as well as animals.

This is just how I see it. I want you to see my ways as "right", and you want me to see your ways as "right".

I hope you see this as fun, I do. It makes me think, makes me ask questions and find answers. I hope you do the same and are not close minded. I'm getting better at understanding, I hope you are too.

Later X

Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
1. Those human cadavers signed release forms before they died donating their bodies to science. Again, a free choice.

2. If you can get a pig to understand and sign a release form, let me know.

3. Your science teacher was telling you something he needs to believe in order to live with himself and what he is doing. If they were diseased and dying anyway, do you think anyone in our legalistic society whould let kids dissect them?

4. Livestock only starve to death because they have been gathered in a place and artificially where not enough food exists for them. Killed by predators = nature following its course. Those predators rely on nothing but instinct but humans are able to think and exercise free choice.

Animals may not have all of our mental faculties but we should use our superior brain power to protect them rather than kill them, eat them, and wear their skins. I'd like to see humans and animals treated well.

Peace,

XP

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 PM

536 posts, read 1,109,081 times
i did see the show and was also very disturbed by it. i realize that they probably weren't using real pigs but it made me think of all the animals tortured everyday and that i don't anything about it. really made me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food