Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 01:42 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times

Advertisements

I have recently come back into the fold of vegetarianism. I was veggie on and off for a number of years, so cooking is not an issue. However, one thing I do miss on occasion is really good gravy. Not cream gravy, I can make that really well. I've made the packaged stuff (Hain), but does anyone have good recipe for gravy from scratch?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:37 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,034,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
, but does anyone have good recipe for gravy from scratch?

Thanks!
I make mushroom gravy for Thankskiving that even the non veggies love.

saute three Tablespoons flour and three tablespoons butter to medium dak stage. Remove from heat. It's just a simple roux.

In a large sauce pan, saute two pounds of sliced mushrooms. I like to mix up different one, but white buttons and Portabellos make a good combo. Any kind of mushroom will work. Add salt and pepper, one clove garlic, finely minced and cook until soft. Add two tablespoons sweet vermouth. The vemouth is key-it adds a real depth of flavor to the gravy.

Add one quart vegetable stock. Try not to use vegetable broth, if you can find the stock. Heat till boiling and add the roux. stir until thickened, correct the seasoning and serve.

It's very simple, but the combo of different mushrooms and vermouth really make it. I've served it at family Thanksgivings, and people didn't even know they were eating vegetarian gravy.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
You need to find Crescent Dragonwagon's "Chicken-style gravy." It is the absolute best. Period.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the mushroom gravy recipe. It sounds delish! Would you add anything else like soy sauce or worcestershire? Probably does not need it, sounds great.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Thanks for the mushroom gravy recipe. It sounds delish! Would you add anything else like soy sauce or worcestershire? Probably does not need it, sounds great.
No, I don't. Feel free though. Worcestershire contains anchovies, by the way.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I make mushroom gravy for Thankskiving that even the non veggies love.

saute three Tablespoons flour and three tablespoons butter to medium dak stage. Remove from heat. It's just a simple roux.

In a large sauce pan, saute two pounds of sliced mushrooms. I like to mix up different one, but white buttons and Portabellos make a good combo. Any kind of mushroom will work. Add salt and pepper, one clove garlic, finely minced and cook until soft. Add two tablespoons sweet vermouth. The vemouth is key-it adds a real depth of flavor to the gravy.

Add one quart vegetable stock. Try not to use vegetable broth, if you can find the stock. Heat till boiling and add the roux. stir until thickened, correct the seasoning and serve.

It's very simple, but the combo of different mushrooms and vermouth really make it. I've served it at family Thanksgivings, and people didn't even know they were eating vegetarian gravy.
This sounds good. Would it change the flavor for the worse if I were to use margarine, specifically Parkay? I use dry vermouth all the time in cooking, but I have never used sweet vermouth. Are there other foods that sweet vermouth improves?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 AM

I'm sure margerine would be fine. Give it a try and see. I personally like to use butter, but if that doesn't work for you, margerine would work.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,953 times
Au jus in a hurry: Chop an onion. Heat a good amount of vegetable oil in saute pan. Burn the chopped onion. Add some sliced mushrooms. Burn them too. Add good quality tamari sauce and a little fresh ground black pepper. For variety you can add a dash of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar (but not both). Great on a baked potato or on plain pasta with/without fresh ground parmesan.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh. Think I'll give that a try too!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
No, I don't. Feel free though. Worcestershire contains anchovies, by the way.
There is a vegan version out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food