Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times

Advertisements

What are some alternatives to meat that are not meat look-alikes and not soy based? I now eat spaghetti with a meatless sauce, portable mushrooms, and salad. This is OK but it gets downright boring. Just to mention but not to discuss on this post, I think soy is almost as bad for the body as meat. So no soy suggestions please. Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
What are some alternatives to meat that are not meat look-alikes and not soy based? I now eat spaghetti with a meatless sauce, portable mushrooms, and salad. This is OK but it gets downright boring. Just to mention but not to discuss on this post, I think soy is almost as bad for the body as meat. So no soy suggestions please. Thanks for you help.
Aren't all mushrooms portable when you really get down to it?

You may want to try Company Rice & Beans; it's a very satisfying, savory vegetarian complete meal.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=332040

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
take a look at the many recipe threads on this board - there are tons of recipes that don't involve fake meat or soy.

on the subject of soy, you might want to look into fermented soy products like tempeh, which don't have the purported health risks of unfermented soy.

my question for you is - what do you mean by meat substitutes? are you looking for hearty, substantial texture, or protein? as far as protein goes, it is actually kind of hard to not get enough, even with a vegan diet. the typical american eats way more protein than they need every day.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,871 times
Eggplant cutlets are a great meat substitute. Especially in Italian dishes. I chop it up, mix it with other veggies and sauté everything in a light coating of Pam then I add my sauce to it. It makes a really hardy, full of flavor spaghetti sauce that even my carnivorous family enjoys.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
lentils, mung beans.

I disagree about tofu, I don't think it is especially problematic if it is made from non-GMO soybeans. It is all of the other way soy is processes and show up in our diet that is problematic (longevity isn't an issue in the countries where eating tofu is common).

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Your first post sounds like you are looking more for meal ideas than just meat substitutes. Am I right? If you are new to vegetarian or vegan eating/cooking, than I suggest you try to throw out your whole idea of what a meal should look like. So many of my meat-eating friends, neighbors and family, think that a dinner is a meat, a starch, and a side vegetable. In this thinking, you take out the meat and all you have is a starch and a side vegetable. Not very fun, interesting or healthy. I would suggest getting some good cookbooks that have simple recipes, lots of conversation-style information and menus.

However, I am also a believer in easing the transition with meat substitutes and things like that. My non-processed choices are: tofu (soy), tempe (soy), seitan (wheat gluten), beans of all sorts (white beans are the most verstitile, garbanzo beans are used in a lot of Mediterrean and Middle Eastern recipes), nuts and nut butter.

Tofu, tempe, and seitan are the ones that can be directly inputted into meat-recipes without much thought.

Another note on soy: buy organic. And soy is everywhere in our diet--our processed diet. As you move to a more whole-food diet, the amount of soy in your diet will drop considerably, allowing you to keep soy to a minimum, while still eating soy in it's most nutrious form: soybeans, tofu, and tempe.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 PM

321 posts, read 533,884 times
Portobello Mushroom is a great sub for meat. It has that rustic meaty feeling. Best when baked in the oven with a mixture of peeled tomatoes herbs and spices.
Other alternative is steamed eggs with water , mixture of chopped greens like parlsey, cilantro and green pea. It is a classic Chinese dish.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 AM

321 posts, read 533,884 times
Howzat for dinner - it is a 8 inches protobello mushroom ?
Attached Thumbnails
Meat Substitutes, Not Meat Look-Alikes-mushroom.jpg  

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Legumes are an excellent alternative to the protein of meat: lentils, split peas, pinto beans, black beans, navy beans, great northern beans, etc. All go really well with brown or wild rice & a wide variety of vegetables. Mexican food adapts very well to vegetarian cooking.

Laura's Kitchen is an outstanding cookbook as well as a nutritional primer for the vegetarian cook.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Are you looking to avoid dairy, eggs, and fish as well as "red" meat, or only looking to avoid "red" meat (beef, pork, etc)?

If you're okay with dairy and eggs, then dairy and eggs are pretty awesome alternatives for meat, especially since you can eat them in modest portion sizes, to augment a more vegetable-based meal. Such as - crumbling feta cheese into your baby greens and spinach salad, with roasted sunflower seeds, and tahini dressing (sesame paste, garlic, lemon juice, and water). That right there, with a fresh-baked chunk of homemade whole grain oat bread, would make a protein-rich, high fiber, nutritious and delicious meal.

If you're not okay with dairy and eggs, you'll find that meals consisting of combinations of things, such as beans, peas, seeds, mushrooms of pretty much any kind, and brown rice, will give you the protein you need. Mushrooms have -low- amounts of protein, compared to meat, and are actually not a good substitute IF you are looking to substitute the protein. If you're wanting an alternate for the B12 source, it's great, but you'll still need to find more protein sources. Also, the B12 in mushrooms is probably the result of the fertilizer used to grow them in their natural habitat - which is typically animal feces. If you are strictly ethical vegan, you'd want to check with the ethical vegan websites to see if organically grown mushrooms are even an acceptable alternative.

But for things like mung beans, peas, sesame seeds, shrooms combined with brown rice - stir-fry with red sweet pepper and bamboo shoots and mini corn, minced garlic, sesame oil, and a capful of tamari (sort of a soy sauce on steroids), and you've got a VERY filling, nutritious, really good -looking- and delicious meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food