Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times

Advertisements

Here is an article about the Cowboys coming back to Oxnard for a few weeks this year. I know we always love it when the boys are in town.

Cowboys To Split Training Camp And Return To Oxnard | Lone Star Struck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Came across this classic shot of when the Dallas Cowboys practiced at California Lutheran University (then called California Lutheran College) in Thousand Oaks. Note the CLC on Mount Clef Ridge. The legendary Roger Staubach #12, Tom Landry and I think Craig Morton #14. That might be Dan Reeves #30 in the background, not sure.
Growing up a Rams fan I always hated Dallas but this picture is great.

(Protected image so I'll post the link so I don't end up in the City-Data doghouse again)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...bach6_1024.jpg (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/wallpaper/img/cowboys/hof/roger_staubach6_1024.jpg - broken link)

Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
Redskins are gonna kick the cowgirls' asses this season! Hail to the Redskins!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Thank's for posting Charles. I also remember when they were at CLU or as it used to be called CLC. lol

Yamota, It is ok with me if the Redsckins get it done. I just like the idea of having the Cowboys in little old Oxnard where I live. Also cool because they practive near my home. Then again the story said that they are still working out the details so it may or may not happen.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Came across this classic shot of when the Dallas Cowboys practiced at California Lutheran University (then called California Lutheran College) in Thousand Oaks. Note the CLC on Mount Clef Ridge. The legendary Roger Staubach #12, Tom Landry and I think Craig Morton #14. That might be Dan Reeves #30 in the background, not sure.
Growing up a Rams fan I always hated Dallas but this picture is great.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...bach6_1024.jpg (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/wallpaper/img/cowboys/hof/roger_staubach6_1024.jpg - broken link)
great photo. yeah, that's definitely dan reeves (#30) in the background. and standing in the distance near the goalpost in the upper right hand corner of the photo is hall of fame defensive tackle bob lilly (#74).

these four players played together on the cowboys for a four year period (1969-1972), so the photo had to have been taken during that timeframe. as i'm sure you'll recall, morton was the cowboys' starter up through the early part of the 1971 season, but staubach eventually took over and led the cowboys to a super bowl victory over the dolphins at the end of that campaign.

the following season, morton was once again the starter when staubach got injured, but staubach came back in the postseason and led the team to a dramatic playoff win over the 49ers. morton hardly ever got into a game for the cowboys after that and ended up getting traded to the giants in '74. he ended up with the broncos in '77 and even led them to the super bowl against the cowboys that year, which denver lost.

i wonder why the cowboys trained in southern california all those years when the rams were still in town? was it simply because of the nice weather and pleasant scenery? or were they trying to cultivate a fanbase in the area in spite of the rams' presence?

Last edited by pbergen; 04-22-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,492,314 times
Who knows why the cowgirls do the crazy stuff they do - maybe sunconsciously they want to move the team from dallas to LA, can't blame them though, dallas is a **** hole LOL

Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Rumor is they are moving to LA

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

i wonder why the cowboys trained in southern california all those years when the rams were still in town? was it simply because of the nice weather and pleasant scenery? or were they trying to cultivate a fanbase in the area in spite of the rams' presence?

"When Schramm, who grew up in the San Gabrial Valley, left the Los Angeles Rams to take over the Cowboys in 1960, he was concerned about putting his players through training camp in the scorching Texas heat.

``It just wasn't conducive to getting your work in,'' Schramm said. ``Guys are thinking about the heat, and rightfully so. These guys aren't dumb, they realize after a few minutes in that kind of heat that there's no way they'll make it through practice by going all out. So they conserve.''

Over the next three years Dallas had three different training sites - Pacific University in Oregon, St. Olaf College in Minnesota and Northern Michigan University.

The Cowboys were looking for a permanent location when they stumbled on Cal Lutheran the following year.

Schramm had agreed to bring the Cowboys to Los Angeles in 1963 to play the Rams in an annual preseason charity game put on by Glenn Davis, the former Army and Los Angeles Rams running back who was involved with the promotion of the game. But Schramm did not want to train in Los Angeles and subject the Cowboys to the smog and temptations of L.A.

Davis put Schramm in touch with Cal Lutheran football coach Bob Shoup and urged him to consider Thousand Oaks.

Cal Lutheran was only two years old and still short on facilities, but the school had everything else Schramm was looking for: open space and great weather. In addition, it was far enough from Los Angeles that smog and carousing wouldn't be a problem.

``Tex flew out here and met with our president and really liked what we had to offer.'' Shoup said. ``But he said the ultimate decision was Landry's.''

The stoic Landry was immediately taken by Thousand Oaks during a December visit and quickly gave his approval. Over the years, Landry became even more fond of the Conejo Valley and Cal Lutheran."

from

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SPECIA...OYS-a079092229

Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"When Schramm, who grew up in the San Gabriel Valley, left the Los Angeles Rams to take over the Cowboys in 1960, he was concerned about putting his players through training camp in the scorching Texas heat.

``It just wasn't conducive to getting your work in,'' Schramm said. ``Guys are thinking about the heat, and rightfully so. These guys aren't dumb, they realize after a few minutes in that kind of heat that there's no way they'll make it through practice by going all out. So they conserve.''

Over the next three years Dallas had three different training sites - Pacific University in Oregon, St. Olaf College in Minnesota and Northern Michigan University.

The Cowboys were looking for a permanent location when they stumbled on Cal Lutheran the following year.

Schramm had agreed to bring the Cowboys to Los Angeles in 1963 to play the Rams in an annual preseason charity game put on by Glenn Davis, the former Army and Los Angeles Rams running back who was involved with the promotion of the game. But Schramm did not want to train in Los Angeles and subject the Cowboys to the smog and temptations of L.A.

Davis put Schramm in touch with Cal Lutheran football coach Bob Shoup and urged him to consider Thousand Oaks.

Cal Lutheran was only two years old and still short on facilities, but the school had everything else Schramm was looking for: open space and great weather. In addition, it was far enough from Los Angeles that smog and carousing wouldn't be a problem.

``Tex flew out here and met with our president and really liked what we had to offer.'' Shoup said. ``But he said the ultimate decision was Landry's.''

The stoic Landry was immediately taken by Thousand Oaks during a December visit and quickly gave his approval. Over the years, Landry became even more fond of the Conejo Valley and Cal Lutheran."
very interesting, thanks. makes a lot of sense to me.

on a side note, who would've guessed that a man named "tex" was actually a native of the LA area? according to wikipedia, "texas" was the man's full given name but he was born in the city of san gabriel and graduated from alhambra high school.

i'm always amazed by the sheer number of famous people who grew up in the greater LA area - many of whom i would've never guessed.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,492 times
I used to go to the training camp at CLC each year. What was really nice is how accessible it was. Walk right up to the players. Stand next to the coach on the sidelines during scrimmages. A friend of mine was trying to talk Landry into giving him a tryout. I thought he was actually going to get his chance but didn't.

It was early 70's. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County