Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,731 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Thousand Oaks from Boston area. I am looking for info on Preschools for my son who will be 4 this summer. Are preshools something we pay for or is it part of the public school system? All my google searches lead me to preschools that seem to be religeon based. We are not religious and I am not interested in Montesorri. I also am not looking for glorified day care - I want a preschool.
Also can anyone recommend summer programs for children of his age??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel007 View Post
We are relocating to Thousand Oaks from Boston area. I am looking for info on Preschools for my son who will be 4 this summer. Are preshools something we pay for or is it part of the public school system? All my google searches lead me to preschools that seem to be religeon based. We are not religious and I am not interested in Montesorri. I also am not looking for glorified day care - I want a preschool.
Also can anyone recommend summer programs for children of his age??
The Growing Place in Westlake at Triunfo Canyon and Agoura Road. We sent three of our four girls there. Excellent. We didn't want (brainwashing) religion either. It is not religious. It is a preschool.

Where are you locating to in TO? We lived in Lang Ranch and our kids went to Lang Ranch Elementary. Excellent school.

Also, what's wrong with Montessori? We've had nothing but good experiences with them in Colorado and Huntsville (though we're not using Montessori this time - too far from where we live now).

For summer I think we did YMCA but I don't think it was for kids that young. I think we just continued Growing Place, I sort of forgot.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:45 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,589 times
There are a few good preschools in Thousand Oaks.

Conejo Valley Unified School District is the school district http:/www.conejo.k12.ca.us - just fyi. They will be offering a jr kindergarten for the first time, next fall. If your son was born after July 1, 2003 he would be eligible for that & it is part of the public school system.

There is also a preschool at Horizon Hills, which is run by the school district. You must volunteer to help, but I dont know if there are fees or not.

As far as private preschools: My kids went to Bethany Christian School. Yes, its religious school but also academic. You do not have to be Christian to attend.

Another highly regarded school is the one at California Lutheran College.
Cal Lutheran | Early Childhood Center - Enrollment - hard to get in!

Honey Tree is also very popular. http://www.myhoneytree.com - also a christian program.

Pinecrest has preschool thru 6th grade or maybe 8th grade. Not religious at all. Dont know too much about it. Pinecrest Schools Thousand Oaks (http://www.pinecrestschools.com/thousandoaks/preschool/preschool.htm - broken link)

Little Oaks is preschool thru 6th grade. They have a summer program that my children have attended and loved it. Dont know much about the school but always hear good things. Little Oaks School - Thousand Oaks, CA- Welcome

My kids are now in their late teens, so my experiences were from MANY years ago. But I work at an elementary school and I still hear lots of moms talking about preschool.

Whichever you choose, now is the time to think about registering. I know that the good ones fill up quickly.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 PM

168 posts, read 549,444 times
I have been living in Thousand Oaks for 16 years. There isn't any school that i would consider bad

Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,444 times
I just relocated to Thousand Oaks from Minnesota and register my two children for kindergarten and 3rd grade at one elemetary this month. The school districk mentioned that they do not have space for both kid at the school and pushing us to different school in the same district and closest to the designated school. I asked would like to know if it is the normal for the district to do it as a district norm or any written policy in the school district or state. I am very fustrate with the whole situation. The school they planned to move my children to, has the lowest API score compare to the rest of the school district and has the highest concentration of minority student, I am myself minority as well. The district elemenatary director insisted that is their policy but fail to provide any written policy. I am going to meet him and contact California Secectary of Education. I wonder if anyone provide any direction to go from here.

Thanks for any helps

Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncedar1715 View Post
I just relocated to Thousand Oaks from Minnesota and register my two children for kindergarten and 3rd grade at one elemetary this month. The school districk mentioned that they do not have space for both kid at the school and pushing us to different school in the same district and closest to the designated school. I asked would like to know if it is the normal for the district to do it as a district norm or any written policy in the school district or state. I am very fustrate with the whole situation. The school they planned to move my children to, has the lowest API score compare to the rest of the school district and has the highest concentration of minority student, I am myself minority as well. The district elemenatary director insisted that is their policy but fail to provide any written policy. I am going to meet him and contact California Secectary of Education. I wonder if anyone provide any direction to go from here.

Thanks for any helps

I think the reason your children were sent to different schools was because of Classroom Size Reduction. There can be no more than 20 students in a classroom, in grades K-3. Read about it here

You could ask if there are any other schools that can accommodate both children. The school may not be close to your resident school, but if you don't mind driving, it may be possible. Finish out this school year at the other school and then move to your home school for next year.

Make sure you let them know that you want your students to both attend your home school next fall.

Welcome to Thousand Oaks - I hope that once your kids are settled in, they will enjoy whatever school they attend.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I don't know about Thousand Oaks specifically, but a lot of the preschool programs that are located in churches are not actually religious in nature. Some are, of course, but I wouldn't write them off automatically.

The LA area has lots of fabulous museums, parks, and historic sites - many of them have creative, fun, and even affordable summer programs for kids. Something like that might be a good fit for this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County