Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,363 times

Advertisements

Sure, it's easy to blame it on some unattractive stereotype, in this case a backwoods redneck. But this isn't a TV show, it's real life. These people are in your community, you live among them every day, shop where they shop, your kids may go to school with theirs,etc. that's what makes it so scary. and I was saying that Vermont isn't unique in this respect. I'll repeat it again - many small states with a "safe" reputation have gotten increasingly more violent in the last decade or so. Whether its drug gangs that moved in from out of state, or homegrown thugs, the problem is real, it's out there, and has been identified by state law enforcement and the media. If you want to keep living in a bubble, good luck to you!

Last edited by looking4home; 10-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,679 times
The scary/sad part of this is that as a rabid bird hunter, I was planning on checking out the area she was found in this weekend; after speaking with some of my local rabbit hunting buddies, they have been running their dogs in and around those woods for years, even drove past Horn Rd several times in the past couple weeks………..never knew she was there.

The drug narc aspect sounds plausible and very tragic (who is going to help the VSP now?).

To those who think VT is immune to the modern and not so modern (drugs have been an issue for centuries) they need to open their eyes. As a hunter and someone who roams the far reaches of VT in all seasons, I have walked up on several grow operations etc. buried deep where not many would venture. That being said, it isn’t like Vt is overrun with “bad elements” compared to many places, it just happens to be a little different than the perfect quaint picture Yankee Magazine paints it to be.

I don’t think this means people should bolt their windows shut, lock their cars at night and sleep with an AK-47……………..I think awareness of things is just as prudent now as it was before this happened. I’m thinking this was a targeted incident aimed at Ms. O’Hagan because she tried to do the right thing (assuming the drug informant thing is true).

Overall this is a totally crappy situation.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,738 times
My daughter came home from work and said that all day people were talking about a co-worker's cousins ex boyfriend that had shot Ms O'Hagan in the face. She only heard he was 19 and had been hiding at his Dad's house and was a drug dealer that had been turned in. Did I miss the news yet again??? Oh well, maybe office gossip.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
As of 5 minutes ago there are no developments of this sort being reported on the internet, WCAX, Burlington Free Press or Caledonian Record.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM

But I would say swanstone1 will be getting a call from VSP in about 30minutes............"let me get thsi straight, your daughter's worker's sister's cousin's ex boyfriend?".......

That being said, if that is true, I hope he is caught ASAP and rots in hell........

Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
I've been hearing rumors since this began that some neighbor up there was a drug dealer and she reported it...but to date, it's just rumors...

Logs and dogs, I've hunted that same area myself, but that was almost 10 years ago. I'm betting things are denser than back then, like most of the state. The fact that you can walk within a short distance of anything from a car with a maple tree growing in it (my picture in the pic thread, I walked by there 20 feet away multiple times and never saw it until that day) to a dead body, in this state's rural parts, is one of the reasons I really believe we'll increasingly have problems with those involved in illegal drugs. Our climate may be hard on that business but the lowlifes will see the advantages of operating in our rural areas.

I'm somewhat surprised the coyotes left much to any body that was dumped.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,738 times
possibly my daughter heard about a new attack on an older woman in Charleston. Don't know entirely but when my kid comes home citing methods, names and such???? Could have been a similar situation in a close neighborhood. You know "road talk" gets there before the news. Coming from a crime ridden place I just listen...................But, my kid has no local friends just coworkers.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
The attack in Charleston happened today. When I got home I read about it on WCAX. Thankfully, this woman is expected to recover from her wounds, but it doesn't help to know that the people responsible for this are still at large.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 AM

This is disturbing. As I spend the bulk of my free time in the NEK I hate to hear about these attacks. Sadly I heard the same rumors about Ms. O'Hagan........ but they are just rumors at this point.

If these attacks were truely random, that would make it even more disturbing.........

Artic.....logging thins things out. I'm looking forward to spending the next 5 days busting brush up there with friends. While I have no doubt we will run into some recreational agricultural projects in the woods, I'm fairly certain we will not run into any bodies, God willing we won't. Ever.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,749 times
i had been to a couple of small vermont towns, from what i can see there is a definite drug problem there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont