Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 25,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Are there any towns or cities in Vermont the French language is the dominant language?

Do they have schools that have curriculum in french?

Looking for a place along the Canada border.

Thanks,

Scott
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 AM

42 posts, read 98,387 times
Burlington has just voted a french-friendlyness agreement which should encourage the learning of french at school.

If not, Middleburry college offers a nice cursus in French.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbe View Post
If not, Middleburry college offers a nice cursus in French.

When speaking a new language, it's easier to make conversation if you learn some good curses. (Sorry, I know what you meant.)

Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Probably your best bet for hearing a lot of french would be Derby Line. Derby Line and Stanstead, Quebec are basically one town with an international border running through it. You won't have a totally french curriculum in Vermont schools but there will be courses in the higher grades to teach kids french. I believe that if you live in Coventry you'd have school choice for high school and the kids have an option go to Stanstead College (high school) in Quebec (you may want to confirm by calling the town hall or elementary school). I believe Stanstead is an english speaking school though.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,959 times
The french taught in schools is "Parisian" french. Not the Qubecois french. There are no towns that I know of that speak it as the primary language, there maybe some areas near/on the border that you'll hear it.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM

63 posts, read 137,125 times
That is actually of very excellent question. I am only 35, but I remember when I was small there was a huge Canadian French population in my area(Franklin County). It was an everyday occurrence to walk through town and hear complete conversations in French. I had a babysitter from the time I was 2-5 whom I was taught French and spoke it fluently. Unfortunately about the most I could spout off now would be my name and piddly stuff I remember from junior high French class. It really should be taught from an early age all the way through school. Bilingualism is such a wonderful asset to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont