Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,865 times

Advertisements

I have two questions:

1.) I am thinking about taking a Spring/Summer vacation in Vermont this year. What is there to do in Vermont?

2.) I am black and I was wondering if there was any racial problems in Vermont? Are they respectfully to other races?

Thanks!

Peace,
Christopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM

530 posts, read 1,341,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwise525 View Post
I have two questions:

1.) I am thinking about taking a Spring/Summer vacation in Vermont this year. What is there to do in Vermont?

2.) I am black and I was wondering if there was any racial problems in Vermont? Are they respectfully to other races?
There are many things to do in Vermont but what you decide on really depends upon your interests. The largest city is Burlington, home to UVM and situated on Lake Champlain. It is a neat little city with lots of shops and restaurants. There is also the Shelburne Museum nearby. Do you have a particular area in mind? Are you flying or driving?

No problem with being black! People will treat you with respect.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
As you probably know, Vermont is beautiful. Whether you would enjoy a vacation here depends very much on what you're interested in.

The cities, even Burlington (our largest, which just recently passed 40,000) seem more like small towns than cities in the rest of the country. On the other hand, Burlington, Montpelier, and Brattleboro all have cultural activities that can keep one entertained and busy. We have a minor league baseball team in Burlington and our local wooden bat collegiate team plays in Montpelier.

If you're interested in outdoor pursuits Vermont has lots to offer. Hiking and climbing can take you to some great views, especially because agriculture in the last couple of centuries cleared enough of the landscape that you get to see plenty of unobstructed landscapes. Lake Champlain offers sailing and beach activity, while the lakes and rivers around the state offer boating, kayaking, and fishing.

I would probably recommend summer over spring for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it isn't unusual to get snow into May, and even (rarely) June. There's no guarantee of temps warm enough to make you want to be outside. Furthermore, because of trail impacts, they really want you to stay off the hiking trails, generally until after Memorial Day.

There have been threads here indicating problems for black people here, and I won't go over all of them. Clearly we have a predominantly white population. Still, the larger towns in particular are pretty accepting of all kinds of people and the legislature has been very progressive in adopting civil rights legislation. I think you'll be fine.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM

504 posts, read 616,716 times
Being black is not a problem overall people just couldn't care less what color your skin is. You should check out the Burlington area especially Burlington itself which although small in population is also small in area having only about 10 square miles and has 40,000 people living there which means it is very dense for its size and their is always something going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont