Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times

Advertisements

In the local news a story today which shows that some folks here, at least in Burlington, are really pretty separated from nature. The Dept of Fish and Game "had to shoot and kill" a bull moose which had wandered into yards of homes. This is actually pretty absurd since the moose was not actually creating an unreasonable hazard other than just being a curiosity for countless gawkers and cops who surrounded it. I can understand fear on the part of some folks, but in reality if you just observe these animals from a distance they will move on. I lived in Anchorage, Ak for over twenty years which is a city in terms of traffic and infrastructure that makes Burlington look like Mayberry RFD. In Anchorage moose are common in great numbers right in the urbanized areas and only rarely was it ever necessary to kill them. I'm not a PETA fanatic, I just hate to see the waste of wildlife due to paranoia of what they might do. Imagine if we could just react this way to the influx of drug dealers and gang bangers and dispatch them and actually keep the moose, we would be much better off and safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Did F&W decide if the moose was diseased? Moose can get a pretty nasty brain worm. If not, then I agree with you.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
If it was the VFG that shot it I am going to assume there was good reason as they are pretty savvy when it comes to moose. A moose running loose around Burlington can quickly become a very dangerous situation and might not be as absurd as you think.

I lived in Wyoming for 23 years photographing all kinds of wildlife. Comparing Alaska or Wyoming to Vermont is this situation is silly.

If it was an Alaskan Moose that would have been a sight to see tho as they are almost twice the size of our species of Moose.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Here is the story
Fish & Wildlife Shoot and Kill Burlington Moose

One thing the story did not mention is that being a male he is most likely in Rut. Very ornery and unpredictable. When a moose is tranqed they will take off like a bat out of hell before the drug takes off....run across a busy highway or run into a schoolyard and injure several children. They don't have teeth but do have one strong kick.

Only a person who was there can really judge the situation, sounds like they took the, better safe than sorry, course. You be the judge.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Sounds like they played it "Better safe then sorry" and I'll trust F&G's decision on that one. Growing up in northern NH, I've seen what an angry, or hurt, or sick, or in rut bull moose can do... it ain't pretty.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
I can understand the reason for the decision to dispatch the moose based on local circumstances. My earlier point referencing Anchorage was that we just had so many moose inside the city limits in traffic, school yards, parking lots, etc that it would have been quite a sight if they were all killed. As it was traffic accidents took their toll. While it is true that we had some pretty big bulls, the majority were of the same size that I have seen here in Vermont. A few weeks ago I had two cutting through my property. The most important thing folks here need to understand is that the moose are here and will be so in greater numbers as time goes on. The biggest threat by them involves traffic collisions so it's real smart especially at night to slow down a bit on the highway.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:32 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Morons. the moose wasn't doing anything... it's not even mating season.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:44 AM

223 posts, read 795,870 times
i'm with greenmachine. I lived in Burlington, which is full of hippy tree huggers many of whom drive SUVs, smoke dope, and never heard of the term, GHGs.

that moose would have had a better chance surviving that ordeal in Jersey.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Here is the story
Fish & Wildlife Shoot and Kill Burlington Moose

One thing the story did not mention is that being a male he is most likely in Rut. Very ornery and unpredictable. When a moose is tranqed they will take off like a bat out of hell before the drug takes off....run across a busy highway or run into a schoolyard and injure several children. They don't have teeth but do have one strong kick.

Only a person who was there can really judge the situation, sounds like they took the, better safe than sorry, course. You be the judge.
I agree with you. When I was living in Brookfield a few years ago there was a moose in my yard and some people came around and were taking pictures. One gentleman got a little to close and the sound of his camera or being to close sent the moose off. He was very lucky he didn't get killed. They can be very unpredictable. This past week my family and I were in the White Mountains and a moose walked across the road in front of us and then acted like a squirrel and ran right back from were he came from. we were at a stop so there was no harm, but they can be unpredictable.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 PM

23 posts, read 80,836 times
I'd expect that in Anchorage most civilians over age 12 are carrying enough firepower to put down a charging bull moose. Possibly not the case in Burlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: