Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

19 posts, read 66,926 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Vermont and selling most of my possessions here in Idaho so I don't have to move them. I'm going to want new bookcases for the 2500 books

I checked and the closest Ikea to the NEK is Montreal. However, I'm unclear about duty and all that.

Is it easier to go shopping in Montreal for stuff or suck it up and drive farther to a US store?

How does it work when you shop in Canada and live in Vermont?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:40 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
Duty I can't tell you about, I've never paid it...Perhaps there's a federal website.

But I go to Ikea in Montreal occasionally. I'll take any excuse to go to Montreal!

David Beckett

Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

41 posts, read 157,657 times
The Duty is just the tax that you would have paid if you had bought it in the U.S. There is an Ikea in New Haven Connecticut and Depending on where in Vermont you will live would be a 2-6 hour drive but an easy drive.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:23 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,000 times
I believe annawolfsong is headed for the "Northeast Kingdom" of VT, so Montreal's going to be much closer.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
The only downside is having to pay all the Canadian taxes. GST and PST(much higher than taxes here in the US). I believe you can still get reimbursed for the PST? if you pick up a form at the border, but I'm not 100% sure. The US dollar and Canadian dollar are the same now so there isn't a discount like there used to be.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
OK, somebody tell me what an Ikea is...some sort of store I'd guess.

We found most of our nicest bookcases at consignment shops. Found nice mahogany bedside tables, etc. It made me wonder why I'd ever bought any **** made of sawdust and glue, or any new (probably Chinese) furniture for that matter.

Anna, what motivates you to move to VT from ID? We also are looking at a move to that sector, hopefully by the June solstice. Right now the contest is between the 3 northern tier states of New England.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

19 posts, read 66,926 times
Dwatted Wabbit, the answer is simple. Vermont is home. I grew up in the NEK in my childhood and in New Hampshire. While New Hampshire might be a fine place to live as a child, I find the extremely high property taxes difficult to swallow. I much prefer a balanced tax system. I will be semi-retired and tend not to be much of a "consumer" so my income tax and sales tax burden tend to be lower than usual. That leaves property tax which in Vermont is about the same as it is in Idaho.

I am soooo darn tired of this high mountain desert living. I have lived in the west now for 23 years and I am drying out like an old boot! If I want to keep my youthful good looks my choice is to bathe in serums and lotions or move to a humid climate. I'll take door number two.

Property values in Idaho Falls have skyrocketed in the eight years I have been here. I will double what I paid for this house. I can take that to the NEK, buy a very nice home, albeit smaller which I prefer, but more land and work part time (I am self employed and ply my trade there), grow my own food without massive irrigation efforts and enjoy the bucolic life.

I'm not a "go out" type of person, preferring the stay at home life but I do enjoy a sense of community. I was reading the Barton Chronicle today and the amount of things to do in the area was astonishing!!! All small events but many of them.

I already have "met" people with my proclivities in the area (I'm a rabid knitter) and have sussed out not one but THREE knitting groups *swoon*

All in all, it's a day to day countdown towards getting this house ready for sale, selling it and moving EAST!!! Of course I *am* going to have to get stilts for the Corgis.... the snow is definitely deeper there.

AnnaMarie
Princess of Pink

Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,138 times
WE recently remodeld our kitchen and got all the cabinetry from IKEA. We chose to go tot eh one in Stoughton Mass. just south fo Boston. It was closer for us then Montreal and we wouldn't have to deal with any potential tax or duty issues at teh border.

I'm in Windsor VT though, so well south of the NEK.

It's funny, I've had 36 years of New England humidity and I'd like to move someplace drier.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
OK, somebody tell me what an Ikea is...some sort of store I'd guess.
Yes, it's a Swedish firm I believe. They do simple, clean looking furniture.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,138 times
Welcome to IKEA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont