Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

368 posts, read 996,999 times

Advertisements

I know about the downsides--cold, long winters, high cost of living, tough job market, yadda yadda yadda. Tell me what you love about living in Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM

72 posts, read 99,886 times
For the most part, Lack of Pretension and of focused "Aspirational" behavior.
Understanding of our dependence on the land for sustenance (again, not universal, but widespread enough to be common, which in the US is UNcommon).

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM

190 posts, read 653,231 times
With the exception of some newer developments in the Burlington area, a lack of cookie-cutter McMansions and pretentious upper-middleclass homeowners.

As ladelfina said, an understanding that the land shapes us and that we must rely on it to survive.

A population that loves to get out and DO things, who can find their own way and make their own fun. A love of freedom and independence.

Strong local traditions and a respect for the people who created those traditions and values. When big box stores try to come to Vermont people actually care enough to defend their towns.

I love the way real Vermonters talk- slowly and deliberately, with that little bit of accent. I went to school out in Western NY and everyone talked so fast. But it was hard to follow them in conversation and they spoke without first planning their thoughts.

Most of all I love how Vermont doesn't look like the majority of America- because we as Vermonters determined that we wouldn't let that happen.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
I don't live in Vermont, but I spend a lot of time there.

It's absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen such a breathtaking state. From almost anywhere, there is an amazing view.

I have a love/hate relationship with how it's so hard to accomplish almost anything there. It's frustrating until you realize it wasn't really important anyway. If it is important, you figure out how to do it yourself. That puts life into perspective.

The food is awesome. I would have never expected that from such a small rural state. I love that you have to drive an hour to a fast food restaurant, and there's only one in that town. As a result, there are so many wonderful independently owned restaurants and cafes with healthy, trendy menus. Lots of farm to table restaurants.

I love the way the people dress. I know that sounds silly, but they truly have a style all their own. The rugged outdoor look has a pulled together style. The younger people too. You don't see baggy pants hanging down their legs, maybe somewhere in the state, but I haven't seen it. Then there are the hippies. I love going into a cafe and all of the workers are in hippie garb.

The architecture is frozen in time. Some places would be condemned in my area but they still have a level of charm. The places that have been maintained or restored are beautiful. I love driving the highways at night when you can catch quick glimpses into people's homes as you fly by. Most don't have curtains and you can see how cozy their homes are. Every time you turn a bend, another property looks like a painting with the snow sliding off the steep pitch roofs. (Speaking of which, I've gotta start a thread about that.)

Last edited by Hopes; 01-08-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 AM

819 posts, read 1,496,802 times
Just a matter of opinon, I think the long cold winters are outstanding and are something I enjoy about Vermont.

I would say all the other points are also very valid from my perspective as well.

One of the major things I enjoy about the area is the focus on outdoor activities. From January through December I enjoy the outdoors. Whether it is fishing, hunting, hiking, showshoeing, snowmobiling, mountain biking, etc. we are constantly outdoors.

If people can't embrace the winters and the outdoor activities in the winter, I can understand how they could be rough for them.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times
I like the long winters, the wildlife, the mountains, older buildings here and there, the existence of some entirely undeveloped areas, the hunting, fishing, lax gun laws, good education level of the people overall, the availability of locally grown food. It really struck me hard last October while in the NEK that I want to get back there (I'm in Southern/Central VT now).

Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,279,773 times
I love living her pretty much for all the reasons everyone else has already listed.
The outdoors, the beauty of the state, the real sense of community. There is ALWAYS something to do. Hiking, biking, fishing, skiing, snowshoeing, shows/lectures at local colleges, fairs and festivals.
I also love our focus on our local food systems. I buy meats raised locally exclusively and love the fact that it is so easy to find/get. I can buy directly from the farmer, at the local general store, the farmers market or at one of our locally owned supermarkets. Same with local fruits and vegetables. Love the fact that I can go to one of our many numerous local restaurants and order a steak that was raised locally.
I also love the sense of pride people have for this state.
I could go on and on but I won't

Last edited by vter; 01-09-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM

368 posts, read 996,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I could go on and on but I won't
Oh, please do!

I grew up in upstate NY and am itching to get back up north. My husband and I would love to make VT our home (we're used to cold winters, we love the outdoors, small town living, locally owned and encouraged businesses, controlled growth, etc.), but, I have to admit, every time I come to this site, I leave feeling discouraged. Please let us know all the great things because, really, what makes VT shine--that's the information we need to help us make our decision.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,967,263 times
We finally moved here this fall after years of waiting/wanting to...been coming up here since I was a kid and while I fell in love with Vermont for many different reasons, my experience has been pretty much exactly as I'd hoped. All that's been mentioned is on my list as well and every time I'm outside - whether its 5 degrees, raining, snowing, whatever - I feel truly blessed that I'm experiencing things in life the way they should be. The lack of materialism is such a breath of fresh air (and I'm in one of the most non-Vermont town in the whole state lol). And I too absolutely love the long winters.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,138,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
I know about the downsides--cold, long winters, high cost of living, tough job market, yadda yadda yadda. Tell me what you love about living in Vermont.
I love . . .
  • The weather all year except for hot, humid summer days
  • Year-round farmers market & co-op with locally grown produce so I don't even remember what shopping at chain grocery stores was like
  • That Vermont is beautiful, compact, drive-able, explorable, and desirable for exploring
  • That wherever I am in Vermont, someone knows me, or knows someone who knows me, etc.
  • That sometimes Vermont animal shelter staff says, "Not all our cat cages are full. We can take a few more." Wow!
  • Nearly everyone understands what vegan means, and nearly everywhere I food-shop or dine is vegan-welcoming
  • The laid back attitudes and lack of conspicuous consumption & trappings of materialistic wanna-bes compared with other places I've lived
  • That I feel I'm home. When I'm somewhere other than Vermont, including SFla where I'm from, I might have a good time, but eventually I'm always ready to come home to Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont