Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Good day to all,
I have applied for a position at the VA Hospital in WRJ, and if offered the position, I have some questions concerning a move to the area. I currently live in Omaha Ne, but I am a Maine native, though I have not live there since I left for the military in 1990. There is just the wife and I with 4 cats and a small dog.
I have scoured the forums pretty well for many of the other questions I have and here are some lingering ones. That said I am looking for:

1) Current pros & cons of work/live in VT vs living in NH as far a taxes & COL is concerned
2) Garage spaces in homes, currently have 3 vehicles (one is a fair weather car only) and a small 16' boat.
Am I out of luck trying to find a 2 car garage without a $250K+ house
3) Differences vehicle taxes and inspections VT v NH? Boat trailer/boat taxes if known.
4) High speed internet access availability.
5) Fishing access, can someone share the fishing prospects in the area with boat access to lakes and ponds
6) I have looked a places on Eastman Pond NH. are there areas like this in Vermont with good fishing?
7) General restaurant questions/types in the area(non-chain). Can you get good seafood? After 5 years in Nebraska I have been tempted to lift my boycott of Red Lobster just to eat the fruits of the sea

FYI I posted this in the NH board as well but did not get a lot of responses.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
If you live in the WRJ area, there is little benefit living in one state over the other. Some of the towns on bothe sides of the river are expensive to live in, outdoor activities like hunting and fishing are very similar, etc. I wouldn't live in is WRJ itself. I'm not sure if you have been there. It's a blue collar town that is a bit depressed. There are much better surrounding towns on both sides of the river. I'm a coastal native myself and have yet to find what a coastal person would consider good seafood. It's one of the downsides of living further inland. I am sure the seafood will be much better than what you are getting where you currently live. The nice thing about NH is if you live closer to the coast, you will get better seafood without question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont