Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times

Advertisements

Don't you know pot is the "magic weed"? You can suck that smoke into your lungs and hold it there to get your high and it causes NO damage. But tobacco...BBBAAAADDDD!!! Even a pipe where you're just drawing it into your mouth, still more harmful than pot. According to the pot-heads anyway. I wonder if they expose their children to second hand smoke from Mary Jane or even offer a drag or two to them. Yes, Vermonters don't even want a faint passing snuff of second hand smoke, tobacco smoke that is. What about wood smoke Vermonters? I have lived, been through some areas in Vermont where wood smoke hangs pretty heavy this time of year. Are you going to ban/limit wood stoves next? Don't say it is a stupid question because you seem to be VERY selective about what smoke you'll tolerate and what smoke you won't. I know, wood stoves and pot serve beneficial purposes, right? Even pot used recreationally according to some of you. And of course you turn to "Big Daddy Government" to solve your problem. And then complain when the police pull people over for smoking w/children and use it as an "in" to search the car. I remember going through this whole thing two decades ago with the seatbelt issue. Damned if you do "You just pulled me over for smoking so you could search my car officer", damned if you don't "Officer why are you turning your back on the man smoking in the car with his children? That is very detrimental for their health".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 06:17 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
So, would you vote for a ban on smoking in cars carrying children and homes where children live? What about other harmful things that parents expose their children to? What if I feed my kid fast food at every meal and allow him or her to play video games all the time?
Like I said...

Quote:
I agree it's an overreaching law but I can't say that I disagree with the premise.
I don't like laws like this, they are over reaching of the Gov't, yet I agree with the premise, and am sickened by parents who show a blatant disregard for their own children's health in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that 2nd hand smoke is harmful.

Having gone through it first hand, I certainly reserve the right to have very strong opinions about it.

As for your tangent (strawman?) about fast food and video games, maybe someone else will play that game with you, I was only speaking about the smoking.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:22 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Like I said...

I don't like laws like this, they are over reaching of the Gov't, yet I agree with the premise, and am sickened by parents who show a blatant disregard for their own children's health in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence that 2nd hand smoke is harmful.

Having gone through it first hand, I certainly reserve the right to have very strong opinions about it.

As for your tangent (strawman?) about fast food and video games, maybe someone else will play that game with you, I was only speaking about the smoking.
Fair enough.

So, would you vote FOR or AGAINST the ban on smoking (with children) in cars and/or homes?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:04 PM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
I would vote FOR it, although I would be upset if a court ever convicted a parent simply for smoking in the home, a terrible invasion of privacy. Of course, there are exceptions: e.g., the asthmatic child whose father knows it's bad for the kid, but smokes in the home anyway... As a car is not a man's castle, I see no problem with that as a law.

And there would be a significant number of smokers who, hearing of the law, would decide now's the time to kick the habit.

I think it would be more effective to jack up the tax on cigarettes even further than to have such a law, however.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM

So, would you vote FOR or AGAINST the ban on smoking (with children) in cars and/or homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
I would vote FOR it, although I would be upset if a court ever convicted a parent simply for smoking in the home, a terrible invasion of privacy.
Ok, so you would vote for it, but be upset if it were enforced.

Got it.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 PM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
Completely for it and would vote for it, and would not be upset if it were enfored. It's time to battle this pandemic head on.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
Completely for it and would vote for it, and would not be upset if it were enfored. It's time to battle this pandemic head on.
You are FOR arresting people for smoking in the privacy of their own homes.

Have you read the Bill of Rights?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:09 AM

I thought the conversation was about the cars, or in public. if there was anything in the home, I must have missed it. No I am not for arresting people for smoking in their home, although I think it is disgusting.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
I thought the conversation was about the cars, or in public. if there was anything in the home, I must have missed it. No I am not for arresting people for smoking in their home, although I think it is disgusting.
What's the difference? You want to protect children from their parents who smoke, right?

An enclosed space is an enclosed space.

Your car is your private space just like your home is.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM

No, it's really not the same. For one in the size of the space which makes a difference and how close you have to be to the smoker and the smoke, the number of windows and how accessible they are, the child also has a choice to leave for that time whereas they cannot leave the car and then there's enforcing it which is much more impossible in the home.

Do I think it is right? No, I think it is borderline child abuse. Actually now that I think about it again while I don't think it might be the best idea to have a specific law for it or send cops after them, I do think it is something child protective services should keep an eye on whenever they visit a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont