Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times

Advertisements

Tough thing for you is that most of the GC's in Vermont, NH, and Maine are open shop. Unions are not big until you get into Massachusetts because of prevailing wage on public jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,070 times
We move to Vermont from NE Ohio two months ago. Love it! It's gorgeous, our standards for what beautiful nature means has changed, as has our idea of what healthy, fresh, delicious food means. It's so peaceful! The roads are well-maintained compared to Ohio. People are very nice and we have already made friends. This winter was super nice and even the colder days were quite OK, never went much below zero Fahrenheit. I lived near lake Erie in Ohio and while the temperature without the wind was warmer than Vermont, after windchill it was pure torture. I've been hiking on the coldest days this winter (close to zero temperatures, -20 Celsius) in VT and haven't felt half as cold and miserable because there is no wind. Even when they have a windchill warning, compared to Ohio it's nothing! We decided to rent for a year before buying. Initially it was a bit hard to find a good place since we wanted a bigger lot in a secluded setting, but after a bit of search we found a lovely home with a nice year round stream in the back of the house and 15+ acres of land on a maintained rural road and pet friendly too. So if you keep searching you will find what you are looking for. I'll be happy to share more of our initial experience here if you are interested. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sounds like someone that has never been.
Perhaps VT is the same way as your favorite shoes - you pay no attention to both. VT has plenty of gloom, at the very least the same amount as NE Ohio, as judged by a random visitor like me. Upstate New York is a champion of gloom, of course.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Strange, just 40 miles south, or southwest and you get everything you say you want in Ohio. SE Ohio is remote, underdeveloped and it has more forests and parks than one could possibly handle. It is warmer and less gloomy than VT too. Just make sure you are not chasing a hype/myth as seen on TV.
Vermont is....GLOOMY? SE Ohio is a very poor,depressed,and unsophisticated, Appalachian area with some severe social problems and very little in the way of arts, restaurants or entertainment.

I'll agree with "remote". I visit Vermont several ties a year. I ski, so I am likely to be there in the dead of winter.

There is no hype or myth surrounding Vermont. It's quaint, rural, yet sophisticated, there are many transplants - which render it more welcoming and less insular than other rural areas.

I am from NE Ohio. I love it here. South East Ohio is a good place for a church mission trip. Lots to do there.

It is also the Meth capitol of several states that converge together.

Athens is a nice area. Other than Athens? No.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
I'd rent before buying here, Vermont is very expensive. I've lived in a lot of states and there really is a vibe here that you won't find anywhere else, and that vibe is what you're paying for. Some people don't get it and would probably be better off in a cheaper place like upstate NY. Unfortunately i can't put that vibe into words. I love it here but I totally get why some people get here and wonder why everything is so much more expensive than other rural areas.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM

32 posts, read 64,691 times
At your age, give it a shot. VT is a lot cooler than Ohio. But make sure you research various locations so they line up with your goals - community, outdoors, city, etc.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 13,012 times
Thank you all very much for your input, we are about 99.8 % decided on moving to vermont, I have been researching non stop every day for the past few months. I think as suggested renting is our best option for the first year to gain knowledge of the area. My biggest concern is still being able to make enough money to support my family, I know that I will be able to make it work...just fear of the unkown I suppose. Anyone out there have any first hand knowledge of the market for Electricians?? Thank you!!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:03 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami- View Post
We move to Vermont from NE Ohio two months ago. Love it! It's gorgeous, our standards for what beautiful nature means has changed, as has our idea of what healthy, fresh, delicious food means. It's so peaceful! The roads are well-maintained compared to Ohio. People are very nice and we have already made friends. This winter was super nice and even the colder days were quite OK, never went much below zero Fahrenheit. I lived near lake Erie in Ohio and while the temperature without the wind was warmer than Vermont, after windchill it was pure torture. I've been hiking on the coldest days this winter (close to zero temperatures, -20 Celsius) in VT and haven't felt half as cold and miserable because there is no wind. Even when they have a windchill warning, compared to Ohio it's nothing! We decided to rent for a year before buying. Initially it was a bit hard to find a good place since we wanted a bigger lot in a secluded setting, but after a bit of search we found a lovely home with a nice year round stream in the back of the house and 15+ acres of land on a maintained rural road and pet friendly too. So if you keep searching you will find what you are looking for. I'll be happy to share more of our initial experience here if you are interested. Good luck!
Bear in mind that this winter was one of the warmest and least snowy on record. You may be in for a shock next year.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM

809 posts, read 997,694 times
Glad you're enjoying it! Mud season was close to zip this year, but you probably got enough of a taste to inure you to when it might be really bad! It sounds like you've already connected wth the library. And, if you enjoyed Vermont in February, you'll love it the rest of the year. Welcome!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Glad you're enjoying it! Mud season was close to zip this year, but you probably got enough of a taste to inure you to when it might be really bad! It sounds like you've already connected wth the library. And, if you enjoyed Vermont in February, you'll love it the rest of the year. Welcome!
Ha ha ha...totally depends on where you are as this has been an excruciatingly long mud season, and it's still not over for us!

And I wouldn't even come close to counting this February as any measure - if you lived through LAST February, then you're good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont