Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 41,635 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Vermont from California. I need to take a trip out there to check out several areas all over the state. When would be the best time of year for a scouting trip? I don't necessarily want it to be the most beautiful/nice time of year nor the least beautiful/hardest. Maybe somewhere in between that would give me a realistic idea of what it's like - obviously very different from California. Also, it's hard for me to get away so it may be the only trip before we make a decision. Any help would be appreciated. Areas we are considering are Brattleboro, Burlington, Middlebury.
-David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
If you want to come at the ugliest time of year, come in November. UGH! I can't wait until we get some snow on the ground!! Between now and spring we get very little sunshine. We can go 2 weeks without seeing the sun. I get a little SAD (Seasonal Affection Disorder) because of it.
Springtime would be nice...May/June. Not too hot, not to cold. Could be rainy, but could also be very nice. Fall is very, very busy and when most people get all google-eyed about Vermont and want to move here. Then comes January with the below zero weather and they change their mind LOL! We have four seasons (well five if you count Mud), so in order to have a "realistic" idea as to what it's like here, you really need to come more than once. If you can only do 1 or 2 trips, come in early-mid NOvember (so you get a taste of Fall& Winter) or May/June (Spring/Summer).
What about work/jobs? I'd come with something lined up, unless you have enough savings to live off for a while.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,720 times
When my wife and I first came to Orleans County it was in November! 1986 to be exact. Grey skies and an overall gloominess surrounded us. Stayed a few days but still liked what we saw. I took out a subscription to the local newspaper to get a better feel of the area and a few months later we bought a house. It was going to be our weekend home as we lived 3 hours away in Concord, NH. By May, 1987 we were full-time residents. Long story about that, but I do think that by reading the local news we truly got some information that realtors, alone, might not be willing to share.

Google the Burlington Free Press, Time Argus, Caledonian Record or just VT newspapers in general and do a little visiting from your laptop.

Good Luck / Jim

Old 11-24-2006, 04:50 AM

439 posts, read 721,049 times
November-which is nearly over is the gloomiest- a cloudy month with rain and deepening chill with the now bare trees.

Although this November has been mild- with many pleasant days.

The winter months will see a fair amount of snow cover- softening the landscape and giving a peace and beautiful veneer to the landscape-although in recent years because of climate change snow cover is becoming more unpredictable from year to year. The winter is also known as the 'stick season'. April in Vermont is still chilly, but balmy days increase by May 1st. Early Spring is the 'mud season'. Mid to late Spring in my opinion is as beautiful as autumn, with the flowers and leafing out trees, that give a soft green hue to the mountains and pastures. Summer is the most benign into Autumn-which is the high tourist season.

Best thing is come when you are able- the seasons in Vermont all have something special to offer. With winter perhaps at times the worse for traveling. Spring begins a little earlier in southern Vermont near Brattleboro- as compared to Burlington in the north on lake Champlain.

Last edited by Dragondog; 11-24-2006 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 AM

208 posts, read 974,688 times
I wouldn't go during the winter. And I say that only because the weather can really wreak havoc on your plans. It's a great time to see it, because winter is by far the most pronounced of all the seasons in Vermont, IMO. But the travel can be treacherous.

I'd recommend going sometime around May/June. Yes, it happens to be a beautiful time because of all the blooming trees/plants, but also you get a chance to really see rivers and lakes filled up and everyone has that summer buzz about them. I always felt like that was the best time in Vermont. Plus, it's not as crowded as fall (leaf peepers) and winter (skiiers).

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 AM

48 posts, read 208,365 times
"November-(through February) which is nearly over is the gloomiest- a cloudy months with rain and deepening chill with the now bare trees." Do your scouting trip then if you can. That's when you see the "real" Seattle and than decide if this is where you want to live. Because once you put youself here it's a year round (at least for most working people) unless you plan to do the snow bird thing where you go south to Arizona or Palm Springs for the winter and come back to Seattle when the weather starts to get hot down there.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers3d View Post
We are thinking of relocating to Vermont from California. I need to take a trip out there to check out several areas all over the state. When would be the best time of year for a scouting trip? I don't necessarily want it to be the most beautiful/nice time of year nor the least beautiful/hardest. Maybe somewhere in between that would give me a realistic idea of what it's like - obviously very different from California. Also, it's hard for me to get away so it may be the only trip before we make a decision. Any help would be appreciated. Areas we are considering are Brattleboro, Burlington, Middlebury.
-David
March or November

If you were going to live on a rural property, I'd say mid June to scout out the bug situation.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
This applies if you are looking at the Burlington area. Come in the spring so that if you decide to make the move, you will have time to pick up decent housing before the college kids are back in August. This is if you are going to rent first.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,382 times
I know that I am off in this response, but I feel anyone can come to VT in the most perfect of seasons and beautiful times and be smitten. It can be a short fling and then you'd be posting "nasties". I say come in either mud season....late March; or colder than hell, late January/first Feb. If you can love it here THEN....you have a chance. Anything after that is heaven on earth!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I know that I am off in this response, but I feel anyone can come to VT in the most perfect of seasons and beautiful times and be smitten. It can be a short fling and then you'd be posting "nasties". I say come in either mud season....late March; or colder than hell, late January/first Feb. If you can love it here THEN....you have a chance. Anything after that is heaven on earth!
I'd recommend late November or early December when it's cold and grey. At least in Jan/Feb the snow is usually plentiful and beautiful even if it is 20 below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont