Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearinvermont View Post
Interesting things I didn't know. Are New Hampshire people more from Boston and Massachusetts? Where are these Massachusetts people from? How come New Yorkers look different than Massachusetters if they are also from England. Vermonters don't really look like New Hampshire people or Massachusetts people. Where are they from?
Quote:
I lived in Vermont for over a year and went on a trip and went through New Hampshire. I thought New Hampshire was really freaky and strange. Manchester was particularly odd. Do people from Vermont consider themselves New Englanders like people from new Hampshire? Or do they think New Hampshire is weird too?
WHAT are you talking about? What about NH was really freaky and strange and odd?

WHAT do you mean about people's looks? People in New England come from all over this country... with whatever ethnic/national background their immigrant ancestors were. What we don't have a lot of are African American and Asians... there are some but not many.

Where did you live before and after your year in VT that makes you wonder these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:57 PM

45 posts, read 46,410 times
To be fair, I liked New Hampshire a lot in the summer. I just really don't like how all the foliage disappears for six months. I guess this is true of some other states as well though, in retrospect.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
To be fair, I liked New Hampshire a lot in the summer. I just really don't like how all the foliage disappears for six months. I guess this is true of some other states as well though, in retrospect.
Just about every state north of Florida.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:31 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Okay I see. What background are people from Vermont?
Early settlement of Vermont was mostly up the Connecticut River and the Crown Point Road from Connecticut and Mass. Those settlers generally had English backgrounds. Remember that prior to the American Revolution, England used the colonies as a dumping ground for criminals, much like it did with Australia after 1775. 90% of settlers came to farm, and that 90% figure roughly held until the Central Vermont Railroad was constructed around 1850, when it might have shifted to 70 to 80% agricultural.

There were later substantial migrations from Ireland (partly from railroad laborers), Scotland, and a little later there were stone cutters that came from Italy to work in the stonesheds in Barre, Rutland and Proctor. When the textile mills opened in Winooski there was a migration of French Canadians. There was a sprinkling of Jews escaping from Russia, there were also a few other Europeans represented. Germany and Poland come to mind.

For various reasons, there wasn't a lot of migration into Vermont from New Hampshire or New York until post WWII. After about 1970, people came from any number of places.

To answer the title question, except for people living in the eastern third of the state, New Hampshire just isn't much thought of in Vermont one way or another. The general impression is of forests in the north and a very entrenched conservative newspaper in Manchester with much of the southern part of the state oriented towards the sea and coastal megalopolis.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 AM

809 posts, read 997,454 times
As soon as Vermonters heard there was land out west where you could plow all day without hitting a rock, they started leaving. The state lost 30 percent of its population between 1830 and 1950. It's detailed in The Yankee Exodus.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM

83 posts, read 82,287 times
I live in VT near the NH border. NH is a little more business oriented, serious and in more of a hurry. VT is more rural, outlaw but more tourist oriented.

NH and VT are great states if you count what really matters. I would move to NH with no reservation. I would still buy VT maple products but NH before Canada!

Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
NH is more crowded overall and has more of a rat race mentality and feel. But there are many historical ties between he two states (my family came from NH originally for instance and the Green Mountain Boys were fighting for the NH grants against NY's claims) and at present almost everyone living close to the state line is shopping in NH at least some.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:08 PM

500 posts, read 635,563 times
I think VT, ME and NH make a fine trio. The other states south of us....... not so much.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
I think VT, ME and NH make a fine trio. The other states south of us....... not so much.
My sentiments precisely. Northern New England is different than Southern New England. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 PM

47 posts, read 62,048 times
I'll throw western mass into that equation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont