Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm wanting to move to Vermont in April or May. I have some family in the Rutland and Castleton area however they haven't been much help with telling me about finding rental houses. I would like to find a rental house not an apartment. I currently live in Okc, Oklahoma and have been in law enforcement however I want to switch things up and try something different. I have heard that there are all kinds of different jobs in the area but I can't find much online just like rentals lol. Is this because people just don't put things online? My Grandparents retired and bought a house in Rutland but aren't really filled with information. Any conversation with people in that area would be amazing. Thanks so much ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,397 times
I live in Rutland County but don't know anything about the house rental market. My guess is that many might be just by word of mouth, but I can't say for sure. There are a number of realtors that you can find online and give a call.

What kind of work are you looking for? As for work I'd guess that the largest/best employers are the Rutland Regional Medical Center, Castleton University, the GE facilities in Rutland, and Green Mountain Power. Most of the county is covered by the Rutland County Sheriff's Dept. Rutland City, Castleton, Fair Haven, and Brandon have their own police.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:25 PM

I figured on trying something other than law enforcement because most of all my certifications will be worthless they don't transfer over to Vermont. I would like to work on a farm or maybe something like that I don't want to have to deal with a lot of people I would prefer a job where I could be told what to do and not have to deal with customers. Kinda burnt out on public relations.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 PM

542 posts, read 704,472 times
I think most people put rental places on craigs list. I would first look there. You can also place a wanted ad for what your looking for.

The rutland herald is the town newspaper, look at that.

Local realtors often handle rentals. You could try some of them in the area. Killington is not far from rutland there are probably a lot of rentals available in that area. Normally more expensive, but committing to a year lease you may find something reasonable.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
You could try some of them in the area. Killington is not far from rutland there are probably a lot of rentals available in that area. Normally more expensive, but committing to a year lease you may find something reasonable.
Killington has a ton of empty housing units in the summer. Someone arriving in May could probably find a 5 or 6 month rental at a good price while they learn the area.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,397 times
If you are looking to work on a farm, I would try contacting the Unemployment Office to see if they have any listings, ask family members & friends that you already have in the area to help with a word of mouth search, and maybe even try calling the VT Dept. of Agriculture to see if they could point you in the right direction. You will generally find larger farms as you head north up Rt 22A from Fair Haven going up the Champlain Valley.

If you do come, welcome to VT! It may be tough to make a living here but the overall quality of life is good.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM

There is farm work in VT but it is really tough and does not pay well. I live in Southern VT and there are a number of farms that look for people each year but few get any takers. They often employee a lot of "immigrants" although I think on a work program. Many many years ago I worked for green mountain orchards. Picking apples mostly. They gave me housing (bunk room) food and you are picking by the piece/weight. It is tough work. Up and down ladders all day. The Jamaicans just laughed at me. I quickly left for an easier profession.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:57 PM

Thank you all so much for all the information. From what my grandparents have told me they absolutely love it there. I'm an avid outdoorsman and have wanted to move there and enjoy some of the beautiful things they have told me about. I'm honestly willing to do whatever pays the bills as long as I get to enjoy living at the same time.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM

I have tried everything to find rental houses in the Rutland area and have had no success. Any tips?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Well I gave you my ideas, have you called local realtors and let them know your looking for a house to rent. Vermont's housing market is soft. I have to think someone might be interested in the renting. Have you tried posting a wanted ad on craigs list and the rutland herald? There is probably also a local advertising paper, down south it is called the "town crier" like a penny saver. You might check on that. You might call the chamber of commerce they may have some insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont