Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 04:16 AM

29 posts, read 27,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
Just getting back to this thread after some time away...what I don't like about Spring in VT is how long it takes for it to get there. I love having four seasons and I am a huge enthusiest of outdoor winter activities like skiing and snowmobiling which is why we purchased property in VT but winter is still my least favorite season. By the time late March rolls around I'm done with it and ready for Spring. Here in NJ there are many signs of Spring come late March that don't appear for another month or so in our part of VT. Once it gets started up there it's perfectly lovely and highly underated but it starts way too late for me and winter is just way too long. That is the #1 reason why I couldn't live up there full time.

My wife and I are both life long residents of Somerset County, NJ and love it here and plan to retire here even though it is much more expensive than most places including Vermont. It's home. We've lived in other states and overseas and have travelled extensively throughout the US for both work and pleasure and know that this is where we are the happiest near family and life long friends. We also love the beatiful rolling hills, the great tree filled neighborhoods, the great schools, the friendly down to earth people (yes NJ people really are friendly down to earth people, much more so than a lot of places), the conveniences, the doctors, the restaurants, proximity to the Airport, proximty to NYC and all it has to offer although we are more county people than city people, and of course the ability to get to our part of central Vermont in less than 5 hours and be in one of the most beautiful places on earth. There we are up a dirt road, back in the woods, and high up in the Green Mountains, a world away from the hustle and bustle of NJ. There we ski at Killington and Okemo which are both less than 15 minutes away, have direct access to the VAST snowmibile trail network, ride quads on those same trails, fish, swim and kayak in the nearby lakes and rivers, hike, golf, shoot, and spend countless ours around the fire pit under the stars with family, friends, and neighbors. What more could anyone ask for.

WOW nebloke! Sounds like paradise (to me at least) can't wait to get there and get settled in once I have all my "ducks in a row" (hopefully by spring 2020 at very latest and if not sooner)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 05:16 PM

128 posts, read 168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinirish33 View Post
nebloke, so when do you "vacation" in your VT home? During winters, for ski season, or summers? Do you rent/lease it out when not there? If not, why given that it seems like you could find good renters for that location.
We go there all year round but our favorite time of year there is the summer, summer in VT is glorious but we probably go there the most in Winter. Unfortunately I don't think there is much rental potential, it's too far from the ski resorts and the lakes for the short term vacation rental crowd. About half the homes in our area/neighborhood are 2nd homes and about half of the full timers are retirees but there aren't any short term rental houses that I know of.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 9,956 times
Let me just sneak in here to say I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread, both pro and anti-VT. I find the insights to be incredibly useful. As my username suggests, I have a different NE state on my radar, but the more I read through experiences here, the more I began to think that I should look into VT a bit more. I think Vermont will be my next visit for a vacation or two.

P.S.: Like most of you, I am looking to escape the sprawl and hustle of urban/suburban life (Baltimore Metro, MD).

Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeMainer View Post
Let me just sneak in here to say I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread, both pro and anti-VT. I find the insights to be incredibly useful. As my username suggests, I have a different NE state on my radar, but the more I read through experiences here, the more I began to think that I should look into VT a bit more. I think Vermont will be my next visit for a vacation or two.

P.S.: Like most of you, I am looking to escape the sprawl and hustle of urban/suburban life (Baltimore Metro, MD).
Like you I have Maine in sight. But drove through VT last year and am reconsidering. Baltimore sprawl is pretty dismal. Sorry!

Old 06-02-2021, 06:58 PM

128 posts, read 168,505 times
Giving this thread a bump for all the new arrivals that have moved to VT since the pandemic hit.

Tell us your story, where did yo come from? When did you move to in VT? What town in VT did you settle in? What do you like and dislike so far about VT? What do you miss? What don't you miss? Do you think that you are there for the long haul?

Old 07-11-2021, 09:21 PM

305 posts, read 213,195 times
I spent a recent night in Montpelier. Arrived at dusk and walked around town and instantly fell in love. Charlie O’s. So cool!

Then in the morning the shine wore off some. I saw woke agit-prop in store windows. It was all over and a wee bit cultish. I thought to myself that a town full of whites signaling their club memberships to one another was all too cringe.

Still, a town with amazing potential.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,950 times
I guess they painted over the anti-white BLM "moral".

Old 07-19-2021, 07:19 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I guess they painted over the anti-white BLM "moral".
Did they? in B'ton?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Did they? in B'ton?
Montpelier.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:35 AM

183 posts, read 146,442 times
Vermont: No culture, bad food, unattractive women (and men for that matter), rude people, unaccepting of any kind of "outsider", overrun with les quebecois, cold and damp, inept local governments, insanely high taxes. A rather miserable place. 1/10. My experience over the course of three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont